The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Captdistraction's ST2/GTR build thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
well, made some progress. The BBS wheels and Enkei's won't work for me (see them on the for sale section shortly), however the APEX wheels fit great (test fit a 18x10, so very hopeful the 18x11's work)

The brake system is massive, and while its not fully assembled, I can already tell its going to be a huge (yuuuuge) improvement over the S197 4 pot system.

The final bit is some sour news, the trans kit mostly went together ok, but I can't get the transmission all the way seated. I had to order some hydraulic parts, so once those arrive I can continue (actuate the clutch a bit to try to get the disc lined up perfectly if that's the holdup. One of the largest issues is the clutch alignment tools available don't perfectly fit the pilot bearing, coupled with some very tight tolerances on the transmission dowels and you have a fun time trying to get this thing set.

Once its together, testing will be determined by when I can get some workable wheels on the car to get out on track, and will collect some data points on the new brakes and transmission (as gear ratios, all gear ratios, have been heavily discussed for their benefits/drawbacks).
Back in the day I cut the input shaft off of a grenaded tranny and used that as a pilot tool. Worked sweet. If you have your old broken trans and it's the same spline as your new one that might be an option for you.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Continuing the sour news, realigned the clutch and was able to seat the trans (adding the slightest touch of grease to the dowels and leading edge of the input shaft helped) but as I primed the slave it popped immediately and sent fluid everywhere. So out all this mess comes to start over again. Lost about 8 ounces of brake fluid and it absolutely flows everywhere. Have everything cleaned and drying now.

0d533b8fea492e513139c5a8c3c95c14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DFW, TX
Not sure what this TO bearing assembly looks like but when I was using Tilton stuff, if a popped the piston out too far (like when trying to get the triple disks to line up when stabbing a trans...) the seal would be ruined as soon as this happened . It got a feathered edge due to the brake fluid cutting the edge as it sprayed out and would have a slight leak thereafter. PITA.

Another trick to get the disks to slide easier is to put a bit a valve lapping compound of the input splines and run the disk up and down the splines. This should take the sharp edges off the disk center. (clean the stuff off when your done, of course)

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Did something real similar and was able to get it seated. The dowels are real tight on these units. With multiple pairs of hands it was real tough to adjust quickly enough to get the trans pulled in. I was able to solo it after a few hours effort with a new slave (the old will be looked at for warranty, we shall see). Trans is seated and slave bled. Will continue on other prep tasks and try to get some parts changed out this week. Looking a lot more positive, just tough to keep getting kicked in the teeth by this thing.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Another update, getting close to the light at the tunnel or the next colossal failure (depending on how full your glass may be):

Tomorrow the driveshaft will be test fit, an oil leak repaired (likely requires full front end disassembly, can't tell if its the pan or the front cover/crank seal), manual trans harness replacement, and a large number of little things.

None of the wheels I have around here clear (thus the for sale listings), but the enkei's were very close, and the BBS were close. Braver souls would shave the calipers some but I'm not terribly comfortable there. If I can't sell the enkei's, I might buy a pair of temp @APEXRaceParts 18x10's to hold over for the front until the full set of 18x11's get here. Once those 11's are verified, I'll likely order another set and run those as the primary wheelsets for the race program.

Then, its just a matter of tracking down the following:

13-14 GT500 short clutch slave cylinder (I bought the uber spendy KOHR spacer, I guess the usual mustang CSC is no good)
SCT 7015 X4 so I can run the service procedure for the neutral profile correction / relearn (as my IDS won't let me do it)
MGW shifter (because)
4.10 gears (possibly for better match to the transmission)
BMR spherical UCA bearing kit
Racecapture Pro MK3 (as my existing kit may have some travel in its near future)

Soon rotors and pads will be here for the car, and there's an outside chance I may get to test before the fall, but pending temperatures and readiness, I'm not going to rush anything. That and the longer this takes the more my wallet recovers.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Another update, getting close to the light at the tunnel or the next colossal failure (depending on how full your glass may be):

Tomorrow the driveshaft will be test fit, an oil leak repaired (likely requires full front end disassembly, can't tell if its the pan or the front cover/crank seal), manual trans harness replacement, and a large number of little things.

None of the wheels I have around here clear (thus the for sale listings), but the enkei's were very close, and the BBS were close. Braver souls would shave the calipers some but I'm not terribly comfortable there. If I can't sell the enkei's, I might buy a pair of temp @APEXRaceParts 18x10's to hold over for the front until the full set of 18x11's get here. Once those 11's are verified, I'll likely order another set and run those as the primary wheelsets for the race program.

13-14 GT500 short clutch slave cylinder (I bought the uber spendy KOHR spacer, I guess the usual mustang CSC is no good)
SCT 7015 X4 so I can run the service procedure for the neutral profile correction / relearn (as my IDS won't let me do it)
MGW shifter (because)
Racecapture Pro MK3 (as my existing kit may have some travel in its near future)

Soon rotors and pads will be here for the car, and there's an outside chance I may get to test before the fall, but pending temperatures and readiness, I'm not going to rush anything. That and the longer this takes the more my wallet recovers.
It will be interesting to see how the 4:10's work out for you.
Kevin and I both have them and we both need to swap to a higher gear.
Him 390's and me 373's.
I have the higher geared Magnum XL. If I had the close ratio like yours it would be even worse for me. At least for the tracks around here.
I imagine you wind your 4 valve tighter that 7400 so it may be a different story altogether.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
7800 is where the fun stops, I think on a long fb conversation it was said 4.10 would be ideal (and 4.88 ideal from a tractive effort perspective) but I want something that requires minimal extra cash and extra weight (IE coolers, etc)

It will be interesting to see how that works out. I find myself in a lot of situations where 3rd is too low and 4th is too high....but again I have the wide ratio which is why I am interested to see if it works out for you. I need to either go higher rear gear or close ratio trans and neither of those options are free. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGW shifter (because)

Why the 13 -14 GT500 slave? That is the wrong slave for the transmission.

The Magnum XL is designed to use the OEM slave for a 2011 - 2014 Mustang GT and NO SPACER. The correct part number is BR3Z-7A508-B.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
That's what I had in there but popped an oe unit, the spacer kohr was specifying is fairly long 1.4" or so. I have an oem slave in there now. I'll keep the GT500 slave as a spare with the spacer. Trying to keep from having too many more bad weekends followed with long downtimes by building an arsenal of spare parts and trying to follow what the teams were doing but this is definitely one case where I have heard it both ways

I went through the same thing when I bought my EH04SD1 clutch from Rehagen. Dean mentioned after I bought the clutch that he was not sure what exactly was needed for a slave and spacer.

I called both Tremec and JPC Racing who sold me the trans and they both said to use the GT slave with no spacer. WWilde and 2012YellowBoss both pointed me in this direction when I was installing my trans.

2012YellowBoss finally figured out that there was a difference in the bell housing used in the 302R which uses the short slave and a spacer vs the Magnum XL. He had tons of problems with the short slave and spacer. After he switched to the GT / Boss slave and no spacer, he stopped having issues.

I have been running the Boss slave with the hyper single for two seasons without issue.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
In summary: "ugh kill me"

I'm more than a few hundred into slaves and related parts now. I haven't even put the car on the ground. Did click the shifter back and forth a few times.

I've ordered the spacer and it's en route, but I guess it can sit in the box for now and if I can get through a season without boom then I guess I can try to sell it.

Darren G pointed me in the direction of the spacer, mentioning he had lots of problems with clutches and transmissions until the setup was flipped which prompted this all.

Thanks for this info!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I went through the same thing when I bought my EH04SD1 clutch from Rehagen. Dean mentioned after I bought the clutch that he was not sure what exactly was needed for a slave and spacer.

I called both Tremec and JPC Racing who sold me the trans and they both said to use the GT slave with no spacer. WWilde and 2012YellowBoss both pointed me in this direction when I was installing my trans.

2012YellowBoss finally figured out that there was a difference in the bell housing used in the 302R which uses the short slave and a spacer vs the Magnum XL. He had tons of problems with the short slave and spacer. After he switched to the GT / Boss slave and no spacer, he stopped having issues.

I have been running the Boss slave with the hyper single for two seasons without issue.
Very good data points there...maybe I'll just use a "regular" BOSS slave after all? HRM...

I know that Darren is using a McLeod racing clutch, and not the Exedy Hyper single. Darren's transmission may also be a Rockland Tranzilla. He mentioned to me that Rockland either worked on the transmission and upgraded it, or he bought it from them. If he bought the transmission from Rockland, they don't sell true Magnum XLs typically. They assemble the Tranzilla in house and it has a different case than the XL.

http://www.rsgear.com/products/performance-race-transmissions/2007-Present-Tranzilla-Magnum

It is possible to use a GT500 slave if you have the correct spacer, but if the one Khor set you is to a 302R, it probably is not the right thickness. My opinion is that the best route is to go with the parts the transmission was designed to use.

The Ford Performance site also states the Magnum XL is designed to use and OEM GT slave:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-7003-M6XL

I hope this helps.

If Darren has a Tranzilla, then the normal Magnum case uses a Quick Time Part # RM-8080 bell housing. The Magnum XL case uses a Quick Time Part # RM-8083.

The 302R transmission is based on a standard Magnum, not the Magnum XL case.

Again, I hope all of this helps.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
23266068.jpg
Steve speaks the truth here. So many combinations of clutches and 6060 based transmissions out there. Good luck with it guys.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Steve when you say "no spacer" for the GT slave, you truly mean "no spacer" at all--not even the OEM one that came with the MT82 cars before MY2013? Just bolt the slave onto the transmission and go?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel