Carbon Ceramic Brakes - They're on!

Discussion in 'Brakes, Wheels and Tires' started by JAJ, Jun 18, 2017.

1. DocWalt

DocWalt TMO Advanced

How are the front rotors holding up with track abuse?

2. WRB

WRB TMO Beginner

Through our long term track test and feedback we can conclude that when a proper pad (especially for track application) is installed, CCM rotors can last 3/4/5.. times longer, more cost effective than conventional iron set up in additional to the less down time, consistent brake torque delivery with no fade, no crack, confidence inspiring and worry free braking performance that some serious track racers are looking for.

This comment was posted on rennlist by quoting JJ's long term review here:
    https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3...ged-ccm-rotors-at-no-cost-7.html#post15125094

Our track tests for the same combo (CCM rotors + RB sintered pads) involved ZR1, Z28 (OE CCM) and GTR, Hellcat (converting from Iron) in the last 3 years.

DocWalt likes this.
  3. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

I'm not sure I'd call it abuse ;)

Here's the LF rotor as of this morning. You can see that it's still got that metallic shine from the sintered pads (which are solid metal) even though it's got a 100 miles or so with the Pagid RSL29's that are in the calipers now.

RB Front Rotor 06 July 2018 Small.jpg

WRB and DocWalt like this.
  4. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

By the way, I was looking at this thread again and it occurred to me to point out that the picture in my last post shows just how this setup is for dusting. There's shockingly little. The caliper looks all nice and tidy because I wiped it down with a dry cloth a couple of weeks ago when I swapped the brake pads, but the hat flange that's visible in the picture and the screws and nuts that attach the friction ring to the hat have never been cleaned since the initial installation last year.

DocWalt and VoodooBoss like this.
  5. George

George TMO Intermediate

I think I will do this on my 350R. I want to see what a total new ride is. I went 305/30/19 all around on my CF rims for better tire options. 5-6 weeks I will find out.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  6. George

George TMO Intermediate

Do you think they will come up with a deal for the rear brakes?

7. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

That’s tough as you have the parking brake to deal with.

8. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

+1

Most high performance vehicles with carbon ceramic rears have a second (electronic) caliper for the parking/e-brake. The drum adds diameter and hence rotating mass.

9. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

Unfortunately, no. If they did, I'd have them. RB does make a rear kit with 380x28 directional cast iron rotors that keep the factory handbrake and I have a set on my car. They cool a lot better than the OEM rear brake rotors and save a couple of pounds. Based on published specs from Brembo and others, CCB rotors for the rear would be between 5 and 7 pounds lighter than stock, so the weight reduction isn't as dramatic as it is at the front.

Which doesn't change the fact that I'd love to have a set, even if they don't save a lot of weight.

I believe the reason they're not available is because there are no suitable rotors that can be adapted. The front rotors are 394x36 CCB's from the Corvette ZR1 and they're an exact match for the GT350 OEM iron rotors. All RB had to do was make a hat for them. The RB hats are made from a forged aluminum billet and the machining is rather more complex than a regular racing hat.

Unfortunately, there isn't an exact match for the rear rotor available in CCB. The handbrake drum has to fit inside the hole in the center of the rotor and CCB rotors of the right diameter and thickness are rare in the first place. And, as far as I can tell, none of the ones that are the right size have an opening in the center that's big enough.

10. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

Having lived with mine now for 18 months or so and done two seasons of track days and even a little commuting, there are three things I really like about my CCB's, and if you're wondering why I'd get the rear ones if they were available, it's all about 2. and 3. below:

1. The lighter front axles really do handle better.

2. The rotors don't wear (or crack) at all and your brake pads just seem to last and last and last and last...

3. Dust? What dust? I don't see any dust...

I've had lots of BBK setups in the past (Stoptech, AP Racing, Brembo Racing and various parts bin setups), and just swapping the rotors on my GT350 has been the easiest and most user friendly upgrade I've ever done.