The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Changed to AMSOIL 5w-50, felt the engine is a little quieter and smoother

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so I did an oil change at 1000miles (as all of you should do), and I noticed the engine was a little bit quieter and smoother, which is a good thing. so I think I am going to stick with the AMSOIL brand for now.

Also did a tranny fluid change, on a tech car it was pretty easy, drain bolt at the center bottom, fill hole is right on top of it on the driver side. used about 2.4qt. I didn't go with Ford's OEM tranny fluid as I was not convince it is full sync, I used PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV MULTI-VEHICLE ATF which is full sync and meets the Ford's specs to a T. it has the same color and texture as the OEM fluid and it was not expensive at all.

also, i noticed, if you hold the clutch for 5s before you start the car, you can hear the fuel pump being primed, and it in turns caused a less violent and loud cold start, may consider doing that if you start the car early in the morning so you don't wake up the neighbors.

Doesn't Ford recommend their DCT fluid in the MT-82?

FYI I think if you turn off your car in stealth mode you won't get the wide open roar at start up.

TR3160 calls for Dexron VI AFT or Mercon LV ATF
which is exactly PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV MULTI-VEHICLE ATF is for. plus it is cheap and is full sync.

VoodooBOSS said:

FYI I think if you turn off your car in stealth mode you won't get the wide open roar at start up.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Got it, thanks. I assumed you had a Boss with a MT-82. My bad. Did the fluid swap affect shifting??

ATF in manual boxes is not a new thing. We used to run 10w-30 in our 13 speed road trucks. Great lube, only down side was the reduced cushioning effect compared to 90w-140.

I normally turn the key on and let the fuel pump build pressure on all my vehicles. Just makes sense.

shifting felt the same, i didn't notice any major diff.
but at least i know now it is full sync.

on a track pack car it may takes a couple drain-and-fill to fully flush it out. on a car like this it is better to use everything full sync.

TMSBOSS said:
Got it, thanks. I assumed you had a Boss with a MT-82. My bad. Did the fluid swap affect shifting??

ATF in manual boxes is not a new thing. We used to run 10w-30 in our 13 speed road trucks. Great lube, only down side was the reduced cushioning effect compared to 90w-140.

I normally turn the key on and let the fuel pump build pressure on all my vehicles. Just makes sense.

VoodooBOSS said:

I read on another forum that the exhaust always cycles the valves open on startup then goes to quiet mode by default. Seems to be true on my car, though the valve seems to stay open longer sometimes than others.

hal_farthead said:
I read on another forum that the exhaust always cycles the valves open on startup then goes to quiet mode by default. Seems to be true on my car, though the valve seems to stay open longer sometimes than others.
Welcome to TMO. Mine seems inconsistent. I drove mine yesterday and after sitting for over a week the valve did not open on startup. Maybe mines broken? If it is I wish is was broken in the wide open position. ;)

Have you changed your oil yet?

TMO Supporting Vendors