The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch / Brake reservoir issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Updated first post again...... Found a kit with almost everything from Wilwood. Just need an end cap for old nipple on brake reservoir from local auto parts store (got mine from Advance)

Chris

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Noellenchris said:
Updated first post again...... Found a kit with almost everything from Wilwood. Just need an end cap for old nipple on brake reservoir from local auto parts store (got mine from Advance)

Chris
Part or kit numbers?

Where did you order, purchase?

This seems like a decent modification to do down the line, which might make maintenance a little easier.

The only thing that I would hesitate to do is drilling new holes for the reservoir. Maybe Scott (YellowBoss) can make us a bracket, similar to the catch can :p

F.D. Sako said:
This seems like a decent modification to do down the line, which might make maintenance a little easier.

The only thing that I would hesitate to do is drilling new holes for the reservoir. Maybe Scott (YellowBoss) can make us a bracket, similar to the catch can :p

I'm going to try to make an "L" bracket to attach to the 2 bolt holes open from the sound tube on the drivers fender well. I looked at it earlier and feel the same about drilling. I'll post some pics of the items and bracket soon as I make it. Hopefully someone can make a few for us once I make a template.

Chris

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

1) Does anyone know if the BOSS 302S/R larger brake fluid reservoir fits our master cylinder?
Is it a OEM Ford from the 2005/2009 S195 cars? or from another OEM production Ford car/truck?
2) For a separate clutch fluid reservoir, I am ordering this one and will do a bracket to bolt it through the two sound tube holes as well.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wil-260-8742/overview/

patrickshelby said:
2) For a separate clutch fluid reservoir, I am ordering this one and will do a bracket to bolt it through the two sound tube holes as well.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wil-260-8742/overview/

I had those parts as well and the 3/8 nipple and hose seemed huge. But it should work as well. The clutch fluid line seems to go through the firewall instead of connecting to a connector. But with locating it at the sound tube bolt location you should be able to use the original line, if the line is too small for the 3/8 nipple, you might be able to find a reducer to connect a 1/4 to 3/8 inch hose line.

As for the bracket, I found some electrical outlet cover pieces laying around, I bent in a 90 degree and will cut/drill out the holes. Maybe tonight as we have about 5inches of snow on the ground already. But I'm taking my son out to learn to drive in snow, he gets his full license this friday. It may be too deep for his lowered 2000 GT. Should be fun doing some donuts today. :p

Chris

I'm installing a separate clutch fluid reservoir and McLeod clutch tomorrow March 17
I'll take some pictures and post the results :)

install done
pictures on facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202775795709548&set=pcb.10202775796349564&type=1&theater

Installed separate clutch reservoir yesterday. Darryl Hares at Darryl Premium autocare in Frisco. Phone 214 850 3487 Darryl also installed steel braided clutch line at same time. Darryl planning to put together this as a kit and sell.

steveespo said:
Nice job. Did you use the automatic brake reservoir or plug the port in the stock one?

We plugged the off the tube from OEM brake reservoir

I noticed last 2 days the shift handle is much cooler. Lower temps in tranny makes a happy tranny...

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
JPC said:
We plugged the off the tube from OEM brake reservoir

I noticed last 2 days the shift handle is much cooler. Lower temps in tranny makes a happy tranny...

Hi JPC:
Very nice install, looks OEM, (minus the plug). I was interested in your comment about the cooler shift handle, is this something you attribute to the new clutch? Also did you install the McLoud RST twin?
Thanks,
302 HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Hi JPC:
Very nice install, looks OEM, (minus the plug). I was interested in your comment about the cooler shift handle, is this something you attribute to the new clutch? Also did you install the McLoud RST twin?
Thanks,
302 HP

Darryl installed just the McLoud clutch LINE...oem stock clutch with 28k miles still in.
(no new clutch)
Darryl also flushed out the old clutch fluid and installed new stuff.

JPC said:
install done
pictures on facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202775795709548&set=pcb.10202775796349564&type=1&theater

Installed separate clutch reservoir yesterday. Darryl Hares at Darryl Premium autocare in Frisco. Phone 214 850 3487 Darryl also installed steel braided clutch line at same time. Darryl planning to put together this as a kit and sell.

I have all the parts sitting on my shelf, need to get it installed soon. Been busy lately , but I have all the parts I posted in the first post, basically installing it in the same location. I don't have the braided line but I might add that too the list to do at the same time as well.

Chris

Installed a wilwood reservoir for clutch
But have a hard time finding a race liquid resistant rubber plug to plug the ex clutch hose nipple on the stock brake reservoir!

gallery_12429_213_410984.jpg

patrickshelby said:
Installed a wilwood reservoir for clutch
But have a hard time finding a race liquid resistant rubber plug to plug the ex clutch hose nipple on the stock brake reservoir!

gallery_12429_213_410984.jpg

I actually still haven't installed mine, but I got my caps from Alliance Express, I didn't want to order bulk from them so I picked out free samples of several of them and some other useless free samples...lol. They have all the specs on the rubber too. I do like your bracket and the clamp for your cap. Did you make the bracket?

Chris

steveespo said:
Get a new reservoir from Ford for an automatic transmission Mustang GT. no port for clutch line, no plug needed.
Steve
This is the route I took, I think it was about $36. Also, the wildwood cap has a small pinhole vent that I had fluid come out of when changing/bleeding the clutch system with new brake fluid. Quite a bit came out of that vent so I plugged it up. I haven't had any fluid come out around the cap area yet so no need for any cloth wrap.

Yes did the bracket myself but will do a better one soon (not needing any spacers).
Thank you Steve for the tip (Auto GT brake fluid tank) Did not think about this!
The cloth is just for extra measure (A reminiscence from my early motorcycle racers).

TMO Supporting Vendors