The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch pedal on floor after stainless line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone

This past week I've been preparing for my last event of the year. Got new wheels and tires, added better pads, new stainless brake lines and stainless clutch line, brake ducts, and oil temp gauge.

After doing the full brake bleed with a motive bleeder and pumping the clutch many times it felt good. I came back to the clutch another three or four times just to be sure.

After it sitting over night the clutch falls to the floor when first depressed. After pumped a few times it feels good. But everyone it sits it does it again.

What can I do?

Thanks

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A could be a master cylinder about to fail. Part #

BR3Z7A543A

The clutch has a tendency to draw black clutch dust into the fluid. Effects vary from contaminated fluid to failed master and slave cylinders.

The good news is the master cylinder does not require trans removal to replace.

You may want to consider separating the brake from the clutch reservoir.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You clutch line is leaking, the same thing happened to me. There are two small rubber O-Rings on each end of the line. Mine was pinched partially so it wasn't sealing. Most likely the leak is coming from the reservoir. The bad part about it leaking is brake fluid will eat away any paint it comes in contact with. The stock line is actually good, you may want to put that back on.

Adam

Ahh this doesn't sound great. I guess the first thing to do is take the line back off and put stock back on first? I just rechecked it and after about 3 hours it happens. I didn't see any fluid on the ground or on the paint under the fitting on the firewall. I need to figure this out ASAP. Any way to trouble shoot the master cylinder? Is this normal with only 15k on the car?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Check your fluid level in the reservoir. Remember the brake and clutch share the same reservoir. If the level is lower than where you set it to last you're leaking at the clutch line most likely.

That's a good point. I did look and was the same. I put a towel under the firewall connection and I'll look in the morning. I guess I can always take this off and see if that makes a difference. Basically try to undo what I did. It's just odd.

gww52 said:
Did you pull a vacuum on the reservoir?
If not you can find the procedure in the shop manual.

I did use the motive bleeder. I don't have the manual. Does anyone know the procedure with the vacuum. I basically put the motive on it and then pumped it up. So technically I used positive pressure not negative.

jpt3 said:
I did use the motive bleeder. I don't have the manual. Does anyone know the procedure with the vacuum. I basically put the motive on it and then pumped it up. So technically I used positive pressure not negative.

Without a vacuum pump, use your left foot. ;) Like more than 100 times- give the clutch pedal a full up and down. Might seem like I'm joking, but the more the better.

Or buy a $20 mity vac vacuum pump off amazon. There's quite a few videos on youtube on how to do this. Use a rubber stopper, shove it on top of the master cylinder fill. Then pump up until you get solid vacuum. Hold it for 20 seconds. Release vacuum. Then do the clutch pedal pump described above. Apply vacuum again, hold for 20 seconds, release vacuum, cycle the pedal a bunch yet again.

The first method works, the second method is better.

Berol

Thanks for the tips. This seems like a good place to start. I probably didn't bleed it well. If no luck then I didn't install it right and it's leaking although I don't think so because I'm not seeing fluid around the fittings. I'll report back.

I purchased a vacuum pump at the local parts place, went to the hardware store and bought a rubber stopper that fit the reservoir, drilled a hole in it and ran a piece of brass tubing into it and plugged the vacuum pump on it. Pulled a vac, waited 30 seconds, released it, then repeated the procedure. , no issues..Cost was about 35 bucks.

blacksheep-1 said:
I purchased a vacuum pump at the local parts place, went to the hardware store and bought a rubber stopper that fit the reservoir, drilled a hole in it and ran a piece of brass tubing into it and plugged the vacuum pump on it. Pulled a vac, waited 30 seconds, released it, then repeated the procedure. , no issues..Cost was about 35 bucks.

Very encouraging. I'll be doing this tomorrow

Vacuum and cycling worked perfect. Overnight no loss in pedal!!! Thanks for all the help

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel