The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Pedal on the floor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have experienced the 7,000 RPM clutch stays on the floor situation recently. 2012 Boss 302 LS while doing a HPDE

There also must be a clutch disengagement problem too as shift would be difficult in the higher operating RPM's

The car is equipped MGW shifter

I have flushed the fluid out of the clutch line and replaced it with DOT 4 fluid . Then vacuum bleed the system , which did not alleviate the problem.

I seen this discussed , and the consensus is to remove the "assist spring" .

Has anyone taken the car in to the dealer Under Warranty and reported this problem? Did they have a solution? Did they fix the problem? If yes , what did they do.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
lets see if you read the entire thing you would have your answer but anyways

1.yes
2.no
3.no

they have done all kinds of things to fix this issue from new clutch to flush to pedal assembly. IMO the cure to this is first a new clutch that isnt the stock one. I prefer the centerforce DYAD kit. then remove the assist spring.

you may try the spring first see if it fixes your problem then go on from there.

some people bleeding worked for a while then it just stuck all the time. others removed the spring and that fixed it. there is no 100% this will fix your issue everytime answer.

FWIW the 2013 does not have the spring (I seem to recall someone mentioning this).
I also have the spring removed and have yet to experience clutch pedal stayout. Not ideal, I know... but so far so good for me (and my car has seen about 300km track kilometers thus far)

EDIT: I stand corrected--2013's do have the spring too :)

Justin

boro92 said:
FWIW the 2013 does not have the spring (I seem to recall someone mentioning this).
I also have the spring removed and have yet to experience clutch pedal stayout. Not ideal, I know... but so far so good for me (and my car has seen about 300km track kilometers thus far)
I dont think that is correct. someone with a 13 take a look please.

I've never heard that about the 13's. Not trying to start an argument either because if it is out on them, that's great.

Justin, did you remove your assist spring? Has the clutch pedal started to sag at all after a while? Or just looking for anyone's opinions on who has had it out for a while. I thought I might have seen someone mention this on mustangsource but wasn't sure if pulling your assist spring had any long term complications as well.

El Jefe 302 said:
I've never heard that about the 13's. Not trying to start an argument either because if it is out on them, that's great.

Justin, did you remove your assist spring? Has the clutch pedal started to sag at all after a while? Or just looking for anyone's opinions on who has had it out for a while. I thought I might have seen someone mention this on mustangsource but wasn't sure if pulling your assist spring had any long term complications as well.

Have had mine out for a good year or so and have had no issues.

Justin

El Jefe 302 said:

I have a GT500 pedal assembly in my boss (same as a boss assembly minus the spring....didnt know that before I bought it). Also note that I dont have a stock clutch either.

I took the spring out almost immediately after purchase....5600 miles and no problems with pedal sag, pedal not returning...also installed a Barton shift bracket and Hurst shifter at the same time. I haven't had the transmission/shift related problems that replacing the clutch with a Centerforce or McLeod seems to solve.

Are there any pics of removing this spring and where it is? Mine just stuck halfway to the floor today and I had to push it in 3 or 4 times to get it to come back out.

pucksdown said:
Are there any pics of removing this spring and where it is? Mine just stuck halfway to the floor today and I had to push it in 3 or 4 times to get it to come back out.
Here you go. It was in the "How To" forum.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5594.0

TMO Supporting Vendors