The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooling for warmer climates / race cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
since the cooler is primarily bolted to the upper radiator support, the front condensor support bosses on the radiator are really holding no more weight than they were when they held the condensor, I'd argue likely less since its more holding the frame and cooler assembly against the radiator than supporting it (since both sub assemblies are primarily mounted to the upper radiator support - there's a total of 8 vertical bolt locations - 4 for the cooler mount, 4 for the upper box/frame mounts)
I was actually considering mounting the cooler via the 6 Condenser Bungs. I haven't seen a good way yet to mount it to the body exclusively so half and half like you've done is one possible solution. I will look at this again later this week and see what I come up with. Always appreciate seeing others solutions. Thank you.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
My fabrication skills are pretty ugly at times, but this has securely held the assembly and minimized vibration issues, first image is just the parts sitting in a stack from last year where my car was completely stripped, and the rest are the assembly mounted (before completion, but shows the mounting solution):

Note the cuts in the upper flange of the box to tuck up against the radiator support and "seal"
1597176312733.png

1597176679686.png

1597176691036.png
1597176704413.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My fabrication skills are pretty ugly at times, but this has securely held the assembly and minimized vibration issues
On the contrary, I am routinely impressed with the work I see form many racers that I know don't have the background or equipment that I have. I've also seen some really ugly work done with almost no tools at all go very fast.
So kudos to everyone who gets it done with their own hands, no matter what they have or haven't got to work with!
I haven't seen anything from you that I thought looked ugly.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
My fabrication skills are pretty ugly at times, but this has securely held the assembly and minimized vibration issues, first image is just the parts sitting in a stack from last year where my car was completely stripped, and the rest are the assembly mounted (before completion, but shows the mounting solution):

Note the cuts in the upper flange of the box to tuck up against the radiator support and "seal"
View attachment 57339

View attachment 57340

View attachment 57341
View attachment 57342

Looks great! I need to figure out how to build some ducting like this for my '14

;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel