The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dark Horse R Press Release

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I know what it costs to race. I have a wall of trophies in my man cave from my days in racing, all of which represent several hundred thousands of dollars of money pissed against the racing wall. I used to have a crap load more trophies and plaques, but I threw out everything that wasn't a championship win. I mean, who really gives a crap?
Other than 11" wheels and 305 tires, I am doing zero mods to the Mach 1. I ran it bone stock last fall and you could run it that way forever if you wanted to. Very capable track day car.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I do hope you will do camber plates and get a street/track alignment as it will really help your tire life. As another old fart I would also suggest you consider the Vorshlag brake ducting plates. Those crazy things really worked quite well as I would imagine you used your brakes a lot like me. Other than those few things and eventually better pads I ran mine basically stock. The cars just don't need much at all , so I applaud your choice.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I do hope you will do camber plates and get a street/track alignment as it will really help your tire life. As another old fart I would also suggest you consider the Vorshlag brake ducting plates. Those crazy things really worked quite well as I would imagine you used your brakes a lot like me. Other than those few things and eventually better pads I ran mine basically stock. The cars just don't need much at all , so I applaud your choice.
I've already got -2.2 camber as it sits right now with everything stock as delivered. All that was done was some massaging to take advantage of manufacturer tolerances where possible.

Vorshlag brake plates. Been there, done that with my '16. They are fine but there is already a plate on the Mach 1 that will be just as good, perhaps better as it is sited somewhat differently than the Vorshlag was and has a better shot at the rotor.

After the day I ran last fall there was zero scrub on the outer edges of the tires, they look like new. That could be because I'm not pushing the car real hard. It was brand new with only a few hundred kms on it. Why would I beat the crap out of my brand new unbroken in car when we aren't even running for a 5 buck trophy?

I am considering camber plates, but really having a hard time with that whole idea since the thing worked so well bone stock and I was running less than 3 seconds a lap off what my old car with 305 slicks on 11's and full race suspension did. And that was using a 6250 rpm redline since the car had little mileage. And it was on the stock 255/40 front and 275/40 rear. I have a set of brand new 305/30s and am ordering Apex 11" wheels in the new year. ET26/ET52, no need for spacers so it will be a road legal setup. I've already sold my trailer. Less junk to look after means more fun per mile.

Yeah, tire rotation won't be optimal but I really could care less about that. I am not hard on tires, my tires typically will get too hard to make maximum grip long before they are wearing out, rubber depth wise. My background was endurance racing and if you're hard on tires you're not going to do well in that discipline. Or I might just say screw the whole track deal and use the car for a "Gee, it's a sunny day let's go for a drive" car. Nothing is settled.

Last edited:
These costs are insane. No wonder there are so few cars racing now. Back in the 90s we had 100 - 150 cars for regional races. Now they're lucky to get 50.

Track days are a laugh though, we get everything from guys driving in with a totally stock car, running 6 sessions and heading home on the bottom end all the way up to tractor trailers puking out 4 or 5 rent a race cars for well heeled kids spending dad's money. I often wonder who has more fun....the rent a racers are so serious, as if they're heading for F1 stardom or something. Dreamers.

I unloaded my trailer last month and a whole pile of other track junk. Going to drive the Mach 1 to the track, run a few sessions and drive it home. It will be kept street legal and stock, only wheels and tires will be changed. Way simpler than what I was doing with the old car.

Used to take me half a day to load up and then unload all the crap after a track day. That was not fun, and if it's not fun what the hell is the point in doing it?
JDee,

I shared my journey last year replacing a blown motor from 2021. I definitely did it on the cheap and it still cost me 10K paying someone to install it and get it tuned. After two years I finally got it back last July. After a couple shake down events I was ready for my big VIR adventure in October. I lasted two sessions before I lost the transmission. I made the decision then that I'm out. I bought my 13 Boss as a street toy that I would drive in the warmer months and take to a few track events. Now it's a gutted, track-only cash eater that requires a truck and trailer to move around and I can't even enjoy it on the street anymore.

I'm with you.....I'm going back to what I originally planned. I'm selling the Boss and I'm going to get a street car that can also do track duty a few times a year. Not sure the brand and model yet but it doesn't matter. No mods. No trailer. Drive in and drive home. As I approach 60 the cost and the prep time is no longer justifiable and I need a break.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
JDee,

I shared my journey last year replacing a blown motor from 2021. I definitely did it on the cheap and it still cost me 10K paying someone to install it and get it tuned. After two years I finally got it back last July. After a couple shake down events I was ready for my big VIR adventure in October. I lasted two sessions before I lost the transmission. I made the decision then that I'm out. I bought my 13 Boss as a street toy that I would drive in the warmer months and take to a few track events. Now it's a gutted, track-only cash eater that requires a truck and trailer to move around and I can't even enjoy it on the street anymore.

I'm with you.....I'm going back to what I originally planned. I'm selling the Boss and I'm going to get a street car that can also do track duty a few times a year. Not sure the brand and model yet but it doesn't matter. No mods. No trailer. Drive in and drive home. As I approach 60 the cost and the prep time is no longer justifiable and I need a break.
I hear ya brother. I turned 72 last month and I am totally ready to go full court K.I.S.S. The path of least resistance is the path I am on.

JDee, that path is one of the most sought after paths there ever was...I took a journey there many times........I'm sure you did too.......................The path to the most misery is very seldom used.....or looked for........I avoid it at any cost.............but it did find me, at least once so far, but I'm still around to regret it..........you and Bill gotta start a 72 club...enjoy your ride!!!!!!!!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I know what it costs to race. I have a wall of trophies in my man cave from my days in racing, all of which represent several hundred thousands of dollars of money pissed against the racing wall. I used to have a crap load more trophies and plaques, but I threw out everything that wasn't a championship win. I mean, who really gives a crap?
Other than 11" wheels and 305 tires, I am doing zero mods to the Mach 1. I ran it bone stock last fall and you could run it that way forever if you wanted to. Very capable track day car.
At 29, I want to have a wall of trophies too lol. So I’ll continue to burn my dollars until common sense kicks in decades later.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
At 29, I want to have a wall of trophies too lol. So I’ll continue to burn my dollars until common sense kicks in decades later.
Do it now my friend, you're only young once. Those reflexes and sensors of motion are never going to be better than right now.
When you hit 40 its time to start banking dough, but right now, go for it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Vorshlag brake plates. Been there, done that with my '16. They are fine but there is already a plate on the Mach 1 that will be just as good, perhaps better as it is sited somewhat differently than the Vorshlag was and has a better shot at the rotor.
this are on my shopping list for 2024 since I do overheat my R12 pads a lot on my short brake intensive track. Hopefully they will help with keeping temps down.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
this are on my shopping list for 2024 since I do overheat my R12 pads a lot on my short brake intensive track. Hopefully they will help with keeping temps down.
Brake cooling is usually a good idea, but if you are overheating your pads you should probably look at a different pad compound. Try the R16.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Brake cooling is usually a good idea, but if you are overheating your pads you should probably look at a different pad compound. Try the R16.
This started when I moved to AR-1's I think cooling will help as the issue only happen after a few laps or so. Definitely don't want to go even more up in pad compounds.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This started when I moved to AR-1's I think cooling will help as the issue only happen after a few laps or so. Definitely don't want to go even more up in pad compounds.
Found that R12's don't take the temps our heavy cars generate when pushed at the track. Gloc R16 or R18 will last twice as long and you will be be faster.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Cooling always helps but as you get faster it will not be enough. The R12 just doesn’t hold up on the front of these cars with sticky tires. You will know when to move up to R16 on the front.

That's not really necessary. There are a lot of " assholes" in racing, just say you don't get along with them and leave it at that. I could name about a dozen without even blinking, for me, both the Aquilantes, the Tecces and Dean have always treated me right and I have no complaints as a crew guy.
I know I’m sorry, im 48hrs into a 72hr fast, but hes literally known in the industry for never responding

TMO Supporting Vendors