The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dark Horse repeatedly going into limp mode on track, P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43
33
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
PNW
My Dark Horse (2024 base with 6-spd tremec) has now gone into reduced-power/limp mode on four consecutive track days. Most recently this weekend where temps were in the low 60's (F) all day. The pattern is basically the same every time:
  • Car starts the day and runs normally
  • I get roughly one clean lap at full power
  • After pushing the car hard, it goes into reduced-power mode.
  • Check engine light comes on
  • Power stays reduced for the rest of the session
  • I keep getting P0345: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit, Bank 2
The engine is completely stock other than Steeda air filters.

I've taken the car to a Ford dealer twice for this issue. They've performed diagnostics, including an engine misfire diagnostic test, and each time I've been told the car was fixed and ready for track use. Unfortunately, the problem comes right back the next time I take it to the track.

I also talked with an instructor at the track who has driven three other driver's Dark Horses, two manuals and one automatic. He said he has experienced CEL/limp-mode issues after a few hard laps in those cars as well.

At this point I'm starting to wonder whether something about sustained track use is exposing an issue that normal dealer diagnostics aren't reproducing.

It's frustrating. A track event costs me roughly $1,000 between entry fees, fuel, consumables, etc., and lately I get maybe one or two clean laps at full power before spending the rest of the day dealing with reduced power and trying to diagnose the car. I've lost faith in the dealer providing any help. I've currently attempted the following at the track with no luck-
  • Replaced/switched out impacted camshaft sensor with another sensor from circuit B, but still get the same error code and message. both sensors look fine.
  • keep full fuel tank while on track- issues continues to happen even with 100% full fuel tank. engine oil was fully flushed and replaced & topped up with fresh oil as well before most recent track day.
  • 'reset car' by turning car off, disconnecting battery and let car cool down for an hour, re-connect battery, clear codes using obd-II scanner, then back to limp mode once out on track.
  • replaced steeda air filters with new stock oem filters- still get same code.
I really like the car but discouraged to spend any more time/$ on it just to sit in the paddock each track day going thru OBD logs. I cannot recreate the issue in normal street-driving conditions.

Before I had spoken with the instructor this weekend I thought it was just a 'my car' issue that could be solved, but now after hearing of his similar experiences with multiple other customers' dark horses, I'm thinking it might be more of a platform issue and the car just isn't built to be tracked hard consistently.

Any guidance or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
 
Before I had spoken with the instructor this weekend I thought it was just a 'my car' issue that could be solved, but now after hearing of his similar experiences with multiple other customers' dark horses, I'm thinking it might be more of a platform issue and the car just isn't built to be tracked hard consistently.
Whoa, wait, what? This is a thing?
 

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top