The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I think itwas the deck lids that failed, the wings, splitters and misc aero crap are still CF
Early into the race (Saturday afternoon), the rear decklids on both GTD Pro cars failed, peeling up from the front edge and buckling, though staying attached to the rear of the car.

On Sunday morning (maybe around 8-9 am?), the passenger-side rear wing upright on one of the GTD Pro cars "slumped" a few inches at the wing end, so the wing had about 10-15 degrees tilt down from left to right (from behind). It was on the TV coverage shortly, and I was able to pause as the car rolled by a camera while going back to the garage. The upright seemed solid from the C-pillar out to the wing, just at a different angle than the other. I've tried looking at the Ford GT3 videos, and couldn't find a good picture of how the uprights are mounted to the car - do they bolt to the C-pillar itself, or pass through the skin and bolt to structure inside?

I believe the lone GTD Mustang retired early Sunday morning but I don't know why.

Hadn't realized it at the time, but a Corvette effectively took out the rear diffusers on 2 of the 3 Mustangs in an amazing carom shot with one hit. That put at least the GTD Pro car a few laps down while fixing, and affected the lap times of both cars for the rest of their running. https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/rushbrook-ford-learned-a-lot-in-mustang-gt3-debut/

Early into the race (Saturday afternoon), the rear decklids on both GTD Pro cars failed, peeling up from the front edge and buckling, though staying attached to the rear of the car.

On Sunday morning (maybe around 8-9 am?), the passenger-side rear wing upright on one of the GTD Pro cars "slumped" a few inches at the wing end, so the wing had about 10-15 degrees tilt down from left to right (from behind). It was on the TV coverage shortly, and I was able to pause as the car rolled by a camera while going back to the garage. The upright seemed solid from the C-pillar out to the wing, just at a different angle than the other. I've tried looking at the Ford GT3 videos, and couldn't find a good picture of how the uprights are mounted to the car - do they bolt to the C-pillar itself, or pass through the skin and bolt to structure inside?

I believe the lone GTD Mustang retired early Sunday morning but I don't know why.

Hadn't realized it at the time, but a Corvette effectively took out the rear diffusers on 2 of the 3 Mustangs in an amazing carom shot with one hit. That put at least the GTD Pro car a few laps down while fixing, and affected the lap times of both cars for the rest of their running. https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/rushbrook-ford-learned-a-lot-in-mustang-gt3-debut/
Great info, immediately after our race we headed to sebring for testing, got there at 0130. Got up at 545, on track by 0700.
I didn't know about the vettes, could you expand?
On the Gt4 cars the wing supports bolt to the quarter panels, it is a solid mounting point where the stock deck lid attaches and is reinforced, not sure about the Gt3s. The hemp mat deck lid has some points that push into the body just below the window and has 2 pin style fasteners that hold it on. The very ends of the deck lid are unsupported and the points outside the wing supports were kind of floppy. As for the deck lid attachments, like the doors.. all were cracked.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria

The 55 Proton Competition car retired because of an earlier incident that damaged the floor they tried to fix it with zip ties but it wasn't working so eventually they had to retire.

Permission for some of these photos can be tricky for calendars (copyrights, trademarks and IP can be such a bummer), but I know what you're saying. Hell, I've read about Ford going after other forum sites for just putting Mustangs in calendars - I took a risk doing that here.
The guy that took the pic is named JC, he's the PR guy for Kohr, It shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to use it, I would be honored if you did, I didn't think it would be this popular.

So.. FWIW, the idea behind those gooseneck wings is several levels. They use the gooseneck to keep the under wing stays clear for better air flow which translates to more downforce, no secret there, but the length of the gooseneck is because the longer the lever, the smaller the wing can be. The dragster guys figured this out in the 80s, when they went from the upright wing supports, to those that are about 8ft long. This makes for a longer lever, you can take wing out for more top speed, and get the same downforce.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
But if the location of the wing doesn't change (assuming rules fix it at some relation to the rear bumper), I'm not sure it makes a difference. I think the Top Fuel guys (and gals) are using the angled supports to move the wing further back. If the front axle is used as a pivot for the lever arm of the wing / uprights / chassis that applies the rear wing downforce to the rear axle, then as long as the rear wing stays in the same position relative to the rear axle, I don't think where on the chassis the uprights attach makes a difference in downforce seen by the tires.

Now, those long arms do move the uprights further away from the underside of the wing, letting any air disturbed by them "clean up" more before getting to the wing, so there's probably a benefit there, just as you mentioned the swan-neck mounting allows "cleaner" airflow on the underside of the wing.

The other benefit may be that if the uprights were vertical into the rear deck, you'd need to add bracing to the carry the load. The weight of the bracing would be at the very back of the car, increasing the Moment of Inertia of the chassis when turning. Moving the bracing weight closer to the Center of Gravity of the car reduces MoI and makes a "crisper" or "snappier" handling car. Or you might be able to use an existing cage downtube for attachment, eliminating the need for (and weight of) any bracing at all.

But if the location of the wing doesn't change (assuming rules fix it at some relation to the rear bumper), I'm not sure it makes a difference. I think the Top Fuel guys (and gals) are using the angled supports to move the wing further back. If the front axle is used as a pivot for the lever arm of the wing / uprights / chassis that applies the rear wing downforce to the rear axle, then as long as the rear wing stays in the same position relative to the rear axle, I don't think where on the chassis the uprights attach makes a difference in downforce seen by the tires.

Now, those long arms do move the uprights further away from the underside of the wing, letting any air disturbed by them "clean up" more before getting to the wing, so there's probably a benefit there, just as you mentioned the swan-neck mounting allows "cleaner" airflow on the underside of the wing.

The other benefit may be that if the uprights were vertical into the rear deck, you'd need to add bracing to the carry the load. The weight of the bracing would be at the very back of the car, increasing the Moment of Inertia of the chassis when turning. Moving the bracing weight closer to the Center of Gravity of the car reduces MoI and makes a "crisper" or "snappier" handling car. Or you might be able to use an existing cage downtube for attachment, eliminating the need for (and weight of) any bracing at all.
The rules fix the wing at a specific spot, the uprights are more open. I'm sure that's the reason the uprights mount to the chassis over ( or close to) the spring pockets. On the Gt4, they use the trunk hinge points.. but, a lever is still a lever, and a longer one will apply more force than a shorter one, so a longer lever that attaches the same size wing ( it's actually a bit smaller) over the suspension points seems to have it all over one that goes 90 degrees to the deck lid. IDK, not an engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the other night.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
When I saw the first pics posted here of the rear wing…my very first thought was “wow…that’s an interesting design”. I think I actually posted something to that effect on here. My actual thought was I hope they analyzed the hell out of that.

When I saw the first pics posted here of the rear wing…my very first thought was “wow…that’s an interesting design”. I think I actually posted something to that effect on here. My actual thought was I hope they analyzed the hell out of that.
Should've spent more time on the deck lid...
FWIW, the new Gt4 has no rear diffuser, I guess they figured the bottom of the car is so dirty by the new IRS, it wasn't doing much good.

Restrictor plates mean restricted racing............I know trouble can happen at any track, but Daytona and Taladega were made with one thing in mind........speed..............How would you like it if a restrictor was put on your Stang???????????............to keep you safe??????????????

TMO Supporting Vendors