The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DSS Driveshaft Failed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
A brief update.

DSS has agreed to take back the shaft for repair. They haven't seen the broken DS but think it may have lost all it's grease and thus the metallic chirping sound. This may be true since the driveshaft seemed to be functioning despite the loud humming and then the chirping. I will say this for DSS, the DS is two years old with a one year warranty so I was pleasantly surprised that they'd take back and repair it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have had my DSS shaft for almost two years now not one single problem. dynotech has its failures as well. "somehow lost all its grease" did the boot somehow get torn? was it installed correctly? what was your measurement after install?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have an Axle Exchange, (AE) and have been very happy with this drive shaft. It's large, at 4.0", but it one of my favorite mods.

2HP

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I finally got my DSS back after sending them new measurements…They shortened it by half an inch. I have yet to install it but I have high hopes this will be the last time I have to do another driveshaft replacement. I can definitely feel the difference over the stock DS when it was on the car.

I am a little worried about my DSS DS. Last month I had an off at TWS. I went into a ditch at turn 4 and over the curbing. It was so hard that my WL Watts link came up and dented the spare tire section of the trunk. I hope the CV joint is okay. As of right now I have been back to TWS and there has been no problems yet.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
DSS has returned my 3-1/2 DS repaired. They replaced the CV end and re-balanced it. It looks good. I am a man of faith and since they repaired it at no cost to me even thought the warranty expired, I feel comfortable putting it back on as soon as I have a free weekend. There was no real explanation as to why the rubber boot broke but perhaps it was an installation issue and it lost the grease. The CV end does move slightly and perhaps while forcing it on the back side, the boot was damaged but unseen at the tyme. Freaking amateur. Oh, that was me. I think I'll let the boys at RWR install it this tyme around.

Maui
TymeSlayer said:
DSS has returned my 3-1/2 DS repaired. They replaced the CV end and re-balanced it. It looks good. I am a man of faith and since they repaired it at no cost to me even thought the warranty expired, I feel comfortable putting it back on as soon as I have a free weekend. There was no real explanation as to why the rubber boot broke but perhaps it was an installation issue and it lost the grease. The CV end does move slightly and perhaps while forcing it on the back side, the boot was damaged but unseen at the tyme. Freaking amateur. Oh, that was me. I think I'll let the boys at RWR install it this tyme around.

That's good to hear they stand behind their product b/c I pulled the trigger on a DSS driveshaft recently. I should be getting it this Friday.. Hope there are no more issues with the your shaft.

During an inspection of my DSS d/s the rubber boot on the CV joint is torn. The d/s is still fine however, if left alone the CV joint would eventually fail. It has been a year and three months since my drive shaft was installed. Also, since the installation the car has only seen 3000 miles of road time and since this past February it has only seen track time. My car has 6000 miles on it now. If you have a DSS d/s you should inspect the rubber boot on the CV joint to make sure it hasn't failed.

Maui
Budget Boss said:
During an inspection of my DSS d/s the rubber boot on the CV joint is torn. The d/s is still fine however, if left alone the CV joint would eventually fail. It has been a year and three months since my drive shaft was installed. Also, since the installation the car has only seen 3000 miles of road time and since this past February it has only seen track time. My car has 6000 miles on it now. If you have a DSS d/s you should inspect the rubber boot on the CV joint to make sure it hasn't failed.

Is DSS going to repair it for you? I hope this isn't going to be a common thing. I just put in a DSS driveshaft.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Budget Boss said:
No idea why it tore.

imagejpg1_zpsb7201770.jpg

What's the gap set at? It's supposed to be between 3 1/2" - 4" if I remember correctly. I reinstalled my DSS but I'm still nervous about it. I had a weird vibration so I readjusted the pinion angle and it went away. I hope it lasts but I'm not holding my breath.

Maui
Flyboygsxr said:
What's the gap set at? It's supposed to be between 3 1/2" - 4" if I remember correctly. I reinstalled my DSS but I'm still nervous about it. I had a weird vibration so I readjusted the pinion angle and it went away. I hope it lasts but I'm not holding my breath.

That's a good point although the gap should be between 3 1/4" and 3 3/4" according to the instruction sheet supplied... I'm like at 3-5/8". Hope there aren't any issues down the road...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
808Boss said:
That's a good point although the gap should be between 3 1/4" and 3 3/4" according to the instruction sheet supplied... I'm like at 3-5/8". Hope there aren't any issues down the road...

No, 3 5/8" is good. Lee told me u can stretch it to 4". 3 1/2" is ideal. Do you have an adjustable upper or lower control arm?

Maui
I don't have an upper adjustable. It's the stock one...I got the DSS DS b/c of CV joint and the fact that an adjustable wasn't necessary. Did you adjust your pinion angle further when you got your replacement DSS?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Having the driveshaft in line with pinion as best you can will prolong the life of the cv joint. Let me know if that makes sense to you.

Maui
This distance is supposed to be between 3-1/4" and 3-3/4". If you PM me your email I can send you a write up with pictures I was working on...
10351310_10152450763528704_5240850202103505617_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel