The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dyno Numbers

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,523
2,331
Arizona, USA
Let's get this one started a little early :)

Not sure what the "true" output of the BOSS engine is going to be, but I'm anxious to start seeing some dyno numbers from people taking delivery in Q1.

Estimations:
Looking at the GT 5.0 as a yardstick (rated 412hp), most of these cars seem to put down around 370whp stock w/ the MT82.
That's about 90% efficiency.

If we apply that same 90% efficiency to the BOSS 5.0 (rated 444hp), we get 399whp estimated.

It seems that with a cold air kit and tune most GTs are getting into this range...hopefully the BOSS motor is a bit underrated.
Time will tell!

Also let's get some back-to-back dynos of the "Street" key vs. the TracKey tunes! :)
 
I read on the Ford forum that the TracKey will not add any HP. I find this very disappointing. It did state it would be affordable so maybe only a couple of hundred dollars. Regardless of how affordable the TracKey is if it doesn't add any HP I'll be looking for a CAI/tune instead. Your estimates seem very reasonable.
 
ArizonaGT said:
Let's get this one started a little early :)

Not sure what the "true" output of the BOSS engine is going to be, but I'm anxious to start seeing some dyno numbers from people taking delivery in Q1.

Estimations:
Looking at the GT 5.0 as a yardstick (rated 412hp), most of these cars seem to put down around 370whp stock w/ the MT82.
That's about 90% efficiency.

If we apply that same 90% efficiency to the BOSS 5.0 (rated 444hp), we get 399whp estimated.

It seems that with a cold air kit and tune most GTs are getting into this range...hopefully the BOSS motor is a bit underrated.
Time will tell!

Also let's get some back-to-back dynos of the "Street" key vs. the TracKey tunes! :)

Good post,
Thanks :)
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,523
2,331
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
I read on the Ford forum that the TracKey will not add any HP. I find this very disappointing. It did state it would be affordable so maybe only a couple of hundred dollars. Regardless of how affordable the TracKey is if it doesn't add any HP I'll be looking for a CAI/tune instead. Your estimates seem very reasonable.

TracKey has been stated not to add any power by Ford. This likely means the PEAK HP is not altered. With gains in torque throughout the rev range, the overall HP curve will grow. I think it's going to be a potent tune, not to mention it's got many hours of race use and fine tuning from the 302R.

I think aftermarket CAI/tune combos will be able to beat it on peak numbers, but for reliability and true race tuning, I think the TracKey will be superior. Not to mention it won't void your warranty.

That being said, if anyone wants to get an aftermarket CAI and tune, and post the combos and results here, I'll certainly be interested to see how the numbers stack up.
 
349
0
5 DOT 0 said:
I read on the Ford forum that the TracKey will not add any HP. I find this very disappointing. It did state it would be affordable so maybe only a couple of hundred dollars. Regardless of how affordable the TracKey is if it doesn't add any HP I'll be looking for a CAI/tune instead. Your estimates seem very reasonable.

I think having both the trackey and and aftermarket tune will be the way to go. Ford puts very conservative tunes on all of their cars as evidenced by the big gains available on the GT. The trackey tune will modify alot of parameters that aftermarket tuners don't even know about. Loading a tune on top of what Ford has done will give you the HP on top of all the other stuff.


As to the dyno numbers, I expect we will see just north of 400 rwhp and maybe as much as 410-15 rwhp. I make this assumption based on hearing that the cars were making mid 450's on the Ford dyno. Although this was a while back and the final calibrations were not done yet.
 
Mark said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I read on the Ford forum that the TracKey will not add any HP. I find this very disappointing. It did state it would be affordable so maybe only a couple of hundred dollars. Regardless of how affordable the TracKey is if it doesn't add any HP I'll be looking for a CAI/tune instead. Your estimates seem very reasonable.

I think having both the trackey and and aftermarket tune will be the way to go. Ford puts very conservative tunes on all of their cars as evidenced by the big gains available on the GT. The trackey tune will modify alot of parameters that aftermarket tuners don't even know about. Loading a tune on top of what Ford has done will give you the HP on top of all the other stuff.

I emailed Justin at VMP last week and that's essentially what he said. I promise I'll have mine on a dyno within a week of taking delivery and my intent is to make a run with the TracKey first and then after a cool down, run the street tune. It will be interesting to see what the after-market can do with the track tune.
 
1,255
0
GA
The Ford Racing Power pack for the 5.0 that consists of mufflers, a high-flow K&N filter, and a tune that adds 16 HP and 60 lb-Ft of torque. The tune disables skip shift permanently. This has left me wondering if a premium GT (which I can buy on X-plan) with the power pack is a better way to go.
 
349
0
PJWANNABE said:
The Ford Racing Power pack for the 5.0 that consists of mufflers, a high-flow K&N filter, and a tune that adds 16 HP and 60 lb-Ft of torque. The tune disables skip shift permanently. This has left me wondering if a premium GT (which I can buy on X-plan) with the power pack is a better way to go.

keep in mind that a boss will likely be significantly faster in a straight line as opposed to even a tuned up GT. The Boss is also likely to see larger gains from these sort of mods than a GT.
 
1,255
0
GA
Mark said:
PJWANNABE said:
The Ford Racing Power pack for the 5.0 that consists of mufflers, a high-flow K&N filter, and a tune that adds 16 HP and 60 lb-Ft of torque. The tune disables skip shift permanently. This has left me wondering if a premium GT (which I can buy on X-plan) with the power pack is a better way to go.

keep in mind that a boss will likely be significantly faster in a straight line as opposed to even a tuned up GT. The Boss is also likely to see larger gains from these sort of mods than a GT.

Yeah, when I read my post again I was like, "Who am I trying to kid?" ::) I guess I am trying to keep myself from getting too carried away like I did when I bought my Bullitt, and from being too disappointed if I don't end up getting one. I ran numbers on mods to the Bullitt, a 2011 GT with minor mods, and a Boss 302, and even though the Boss is the most expensive where I want to go with a car (track car for time trials and maybe even racing), the Boss is probably the best buy in the long run.
 
BossFred said:
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Yeah, when I read my post again I was like, "Who am I trying to kid?" ::)
Exactly. Another item is I don't expect the Boss to appreciate like the 1969/1970 Boss cars but I do expect it to hold it's value better than any of the other 2012 Mustangs.
Agreed.
you never know, I doubt people were thinking they would be worth much when they bought them back then.
 
1,255
0
GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Yeah, when I read my post again I was like, "Who am I trying to kid?" ::)
Exactly. Another item is I don't expect the Boss to appreciate like the 1969/1970 Boss cars but I do expect it to hold it's value better than any of the other 2012 Mustangs.

My Bullitt is holding its value better than a standard GT, about a few thousand over. My dealer offered me on my 3 year old Bullitt what they offered me on my 6 month old '07 GT when I traded it in on my Bullitt. The Boss is a more well known icon so it will probably do a little better, but I would just drive it and enjoy it and not look at it as an investment. I think the days of our ability to drive these cars are numbered so don't waste any time; in 20 or 30 years they will just be museum pieces unless they can be converted to run on something else.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top