The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Wow....More Porsches....and we're still 3 weeks away from the race.
Wonder how many more will join us?

more Porsches.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Me thinks that you will be chewing through all those vintage Krauts with no problem!
This is a pretty open class, you never know what somebody is going to show up with....
I guess we'll see what happens.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Aaaannnnnnd there it is....a McLaren Senna with a top flight driver on board.
Like I said, you never know what's going to show up.

even more porsches.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Somebody is yanking your chain - Fred's already signed up in SP in his truck. JS
Doesn’t matter really, I’ll race whoever shows up…and if they are faster, they should win. That’s how the game is played.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looks like lots of fun!.... a pretty big herd of 911's!! Out of curiosity, where can you see the rules for ITE?? Was wondering if we can include some of them in our category down here.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looks like lots of fun!.... a pretty big herd of 911's!! Out of curiosity, where can you see the rules for ITE?? Was wondering if we can include some of them in our category down here.
Right here:
1) Must use DOT tires. (Hoosiers/BFG etc.)
2) Stock floor pans my be modified
3) must meet safety regulations for Touring classes.

That's it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cool!! that very much like our rules down here. Shitboxes next to Mclarens.
Yeah, its a wide open class so you never know what may show up.
There have been some viciously fast cars here and there.
I got lumped in ITE because of the blower.....now that I have a stock motor my aluminum dash eliminates me form every other class, so I'm stuck here.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cool!! that very much like our rules down here. Shitboxes next to Mclarens.
One other thing specified in the fuel section:
SP (super production) and ITE (Improved touring extreme) may use ethanol fuel.

This is another reason I like this class, cheap gas....plus there are basically no rules.
I fully realize I am way under prepared for the class but this is the car that I have and I'm too old and tired to build a new one, plus I pretty much hate rules. Just gives people one more thing to biznitch about. If it's open then you can't whine that someone has one more weld in his cage than you have or whatever creative crying azz crap I've heard over the years. Just show up and race. Too slow and don't like losing? work on your damn car. Figure it out. Get creative. Learn something. Keep learning. You don't have to be the fastest car on the planet, just be faster than you were last time. Repeat as often as necessary. You'll get there.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The only racing class with any succes in the last 10 years here in Chile is ours. Basicly the lack of rules makes for a strangely easy to grow category.. Who would have thought! Lol

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My motor puked out a whole gallon of oil between Qualifying and a 30 min race at Sonoma last time out.
Too much.
So, I keep hearing how much better the baffling is in the new aluminum GT 500 valve covers so I bought a set.
(I painted them black because I like the stock look, but they are GT 500 covers)
The underside doesn't look all that much different to me...what am I missing here?

Have a look:

IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg
IMG_2504.jpg
IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

They are stout though, with more bolt holes for better clamping, but the plastic ones are much lighter and didn't leak.
I feel like I just spent $300.00 and half a days labor to make my car heavier.
Anybody have some intel on these valve covers?
@captdistraction @ArizonaBOSS @blacksheep-1
Anyone...?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Anybody have some intel on these valve covers?
Some info in this thread.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Some info in this thread.
Yup, more conformation that these are the right valve covers to use....but still, I don't see the difference, at least without disassembling them, and its too late for that as I installed them today.
For the record, I have no PCV, both valve covers vent to the Peterson can and that drains into a custom 5 quart tank I made to collect all the oil coming out of the breathers. I also have a Roush/Yates designed 12 qt GT350r pan from Ford Performance and 16 quarts in the system counting the cooler/lines/remote filter etc.
I use the very bottom of the dipstick as the fill line, basically a quart or more below the regular fill line so the oil is farther away from the crank. Lets hope these valve covers do the trick.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Yeah, so I bought that left side valve cover, twice the price of the right side and it seems the only difference is the flat plate inside it, but maybe there's more, I dunno. $325 Canuck bucks, which is about a buck ninety five US I think. ;)
Worst part was the stealer wanted to install it also, for $450, to which I said no thank you. Also put another catch can on. Will be a while before I can find out if this all works due to life got busy issues, will report back when I get a track day in.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah, so I bought that left side valve cover, twice the price of the right side and it seems the only difference is the flat plate inside it, but maybe there's more, I dunno. $325 Canuck bucks, which is about a buck ninety five US I think. ;)
Worst part was the stealer wanted to install it also, for $450, to which I said no thank you. Also put another catch can on. Will be a while before I can find out if this all works due to life got busy issues, will report back when I get a track day in.
I bought the pair for about 275.00 from summit. Will see how this works at laguna seca later this month. Stay tuned.

TMO Supporting Vendors