The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looks like Steeda has them a little cheaper:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Was just double checking... So your oil pump is the Boundry assembled oil pump with the steel backing plate and billet gears?
Yes, sort of.
Its those parts, ordered separately, then clearanced and assembled by JDM engineering.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks, its listed like that now on the JDM website (maybe its because of you). Just trying to make up my mind between that, and the Melling setup. My oil pressure is keeping me up at night...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks, its listed like that now on the JDM website (maybe its because of you). Just trying to make up my mind between that, and the Melling setup. My oil pressure is keeping me up at night...
I trust only 2 people with my motor stuff. AED Tuning and JDM Engineering. Everything gets assembled by them.
If its something that comes assembled, we disassemble it, check it, and adjust whatever is out of spec then re assemble.

Take our CJ intakes for example....would you just bolt that thing on the way they come without checking it out or would you look inside and see all that junk and have it cleaned up first?

Everything here gets heavily scrutinized before it goes anywhere near the car.
Some may call it "excessive compulsive".
I just call it being "terribly terribly thorough".

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If this is the one you are looking at I don't think it includes the Chrome Moly Housing.

Best bet is to call Jim Jr. and tell him you want what I have.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I switched to those covers to utilize the 9/16-18 plug port to run a drain for my catch can. Not a lot of slope, but it doesn't let oil accumulate in the can. Safer, in my mind, than running the return line to the pan past 2000* headers.
The little orange rubber circles are actually one-way flapper valves that also help oil that gets into the baffle sucked back into the head, off-throttle.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I switched to those covers to utilize the 9/16-18 plug port to run a drain for my catch can. Not a lot of slope, but it doesn't let oil accumulate in the can. Safer, in my mind, than running the return line to the pan past 2000* headers.
The little orange rubber circles are actually one-way flapper valves that also help oil that gets into the baffle sucked back into the head, off-throttle.
I wonder if it can keep up with the amount or blow by I’m seeing….

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I wonder if it can keep up with the amount or blow by I’m seeing….
I'd think it can. My new engine was putting a lot of blow by into the can, filling it about 1/2 way in a day. I normally consider this "not good" but the engine makes good power and oil pressure and doesn't smoke out the exhaust so...

Anyways the drain line is a -6 and that seems to keep everything quite happy.

rGA9HNu.jpg

znuXDUe.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'd think it can. My new engine was putting a lot of blow by into the can, filling it about 1/2 way in a day. I normally consider this "not good" but the engine makes good power and oil pressure and doesn't smoke out the exhaust so...

View attachment 66535

View attachment 66536
Mine overflows the catch can in 4 laps.
I lost a gallon in a 6 lap qualifier and 30 min race.
But...the motor runs great so....maybe I'll make this bypass hose and try it in a practice session and leave my 5 qt overflow tank in place just in case.

Thanks for all the numbers on thread/hose size.
Saves me from having to figure it out.
I love TMO!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You know, they always say: "an engine is just a pump"....which is true.
Turns out mine is an oil pump.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

View attachment 66535

View attachment 66536

Whats this hose?

rGA9HNu.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors