The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
True... But none of us like loosing either!!! :hellyeah:

The things we do to get a cheapo cup and a kiss from a pretty girl.
We don't even get a trophy girl. We have to walk across the paddock to the flag stand to get a tiny checkered flag and then to registration to wait in line for your trophy. No trophy pics or visit to the podium.
I've "been on the podium" every single race I've entered and not once have I actually "Been ON it". I've seen it as I leave the track....but never up close and there are never any podium pics. Guess we aren't important enough.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Is that from Covid rules?? To be honest we get on the podium, but the girls are under wraps till the rules let up a bit. Getting a kiss will have to wait till 2022 I think.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is that from Covid rules?? To be honest we get on the podium, but the girls are under wraps till the rules let up a bit. Getting a kiss will have to wait till 2022 I think.
Nope, nothing new. Just the way it is.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
We’re here
Annnnnnd the battery’s dead. :(

2031FEB1-1F64-42AF-B390-2C36435EE608.jpeg

After a full charge we got to grid just in time for somebody to blow up and bring out the red flag. Back to the paddock.

ADC53904-7EA6-4778-BFC6-4B1195F6C7E2.jpeg

Back in the paddock now and….this battery is totally worthless.
Charger says battery is fully charged, we sat on grid with the motor running for 15 minutes and when we got back to the trailer it would not re start.
$450.00 for a battery that lasts 5 races isn’t very encouraging especially after the first one exploded in the shop. These anti gravity batteries aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. :(

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well 3 laps in and there is power steering fluid everywhere.
I am beyond frustrated! 😡

B3EB2C2E-010C-4F11-9765-5EFE0B35CAA3.jpeg

sfo
I feel for you! Keep the faith. I hate lithium bats. I will not use then for cars. There are too many instances of thermal runaway with fires. The weight savings just isn't worth it. IMO the best compromise is stick with lead acid bats but use a small 12v tractor or PWC battery. Those bricks are small 6x7" cube in the 13lb range and are cheap. We don't have lots of things running our cars so only need the cranking amps to turn the car over.

Are you racing SCCA with SF region? I'm a SCCA calcluber

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I feel for you! Keep the faith. I hate lithium bats. I will not use then for cars. There are too many instances of thermal runaway with fires. The weight savings just isn't worth it. IMO the best compromise is stick with lead acid bats but use a small 12v tractor or PWC battery. Those bricks are small 6x7" cube in the 13lb range and are cheap. We don't have lots of things running our cars so only need the cranking amps to turn the car over.

Yup. Leading the points and the last race is in a few weeks, I don’t need this sh!t right now….

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have no idea how a 3-valve pulley system works but if you had no problem with the power steering with that motor, is it possible the Coyote crank pulley is spinning it faster and perhaps overpressurizing it?
No, its part failures...hard lines twice (known issue) and this time it was a gasket.
I think once that's replaced we should be good to go.
Now where do I buy a brand new non-rebuilt pump?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
you Racing ITE? I ran the 3 laguna events but don't think I saw your car there?
I started my season at race 5. Wasn't ready for the first few races.
I also DNS at the Saturday race at the last Laguna with (you guesses it) Power steering failures but was at the Sunday race and every other race all year. I tend to park out in the south 40 because I'm anti social.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Post a pic of your car so i can see who you are.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
you Racing ITE? I ran the 3 laguna events but don't think I saw your car there?

Were you at this race? Do you recognize this lineup?
Which races did you attend?
What class/group are you in? ITE is group 3.
You are running a mustang yes?

color.jpgcolor2.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

Fabman