The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Fabman and I have had several conversations concerning the fire hazards of alcohol based fuel, E85, as an example, is 85% alcohol, 15% gasoline, the Indy car guys, of which I have a vast amount of experience with their fuels, is E97, or 3% gasoline, when lit, you can see the fuel burn... until the gas burns off then you're on your own, but you can still see the heat "waves" plus whatever else happens to be burning, like the rest of the car. The immediate answer is ARAFFF foam. What nis not the answer, is something like an emulsifier such as Cold Fire, which, remarkably, is what both Indycar and NHRA uses for their firefighting of alcohol fires, and I will say this and you can write it in stone, both of those organizations are ****ed up for doing it. ARAFFF at 6# (or more) in a simple water extinguisher will beat those methods hands down. The saving grace is that their fires are usually less than 5 gallons, so they get away with it, but if they had a pit fire, and one of those fuel tanks were compromised then you'd see the cluster develop before your very eyes.
For reference, I was in charge of the pits at the St. Pete Grand Prix from its' inception as a trans am race in the mid 80s, through to my last year there (2010) as an Indycar event. I was on the side that housed all the fuel, plus the tankers that carried it, along with the fuel trucks and the 55 gallon drums.

https://coldfire.biz/ (in the first paragraph, it plainly states that cold fire will NOT work on polar solvents, alcohol is a polar solvent)

and if you think E85 is a problem wait until electric vehicles and their rolling haz mat incidents, start showing up.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
What is different about the EV's? Batteries breaking open? What happens?
The biggest issue with the current EVs is that the internal battery chemicals can react with aluminum, and since these cars are trying to save weight, they use a lot of aluminum, same with hybrids, but to a lessor extent. Once that battery containment is compromised, you just have a massive chemical reaction, that although not always resulting in a fire, is still toxic.
Here, I have written several articles for Fire Engineering back in the day

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Jealous. I hope I get mine soon, ordered in September :)
DaveW
I ordered mine in April......everything is taking a long time these days because, you know, Covid.
Some of the pieces come from Australia and you know how shipping is right now.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I ordered mine in April......everything is taking a long time these days because, you know, imbeciles in high places.
Some of the pieces come from Australia and you know how shipping is right now.

fixed it for you
I was trying to be nice.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
i work in the freight and transportation industry. our supply chain is f****d
experts say they dont expect this issue to be solved and back to normal until 2027

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i work in the freight and transportation industry. our supply chain is f****d
experts say they dont expect this issue to be solved and back to normal until 2027
Fantastic.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
From what I have heard, the shipping rates were so low a few years ago, that the bright spark accountants said less sell our ships for scrap. Now after covid shutdowns etc we have a ton of pent up demand and no ships available...... fingers crossed that things improve! At least air freight is going full blast but that is running at over 4 bucks a Kilo now. My work equipment from China went from 2500 a container to over 15,000...makes your eyes water.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level