The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
*me, walking in to the chat cause i have 12.5:1 comp ratio*
4iuyxt65mfya9n28qy6lfmpfwaqd5pq2ac8t8dam&rid=giphy.gif

*me, walking out cause i dont make more than 400whp*

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I have some pretty big tunnels going in the new splitter and all that pressure has to go somewhere.
Al (@302blown ) at Race Louvers made me some custom side vents to fit where those plastic ones used to be. There was nothing on the market that fit my cutouts so I was in a tough spot. He was happy to take on the challenge and I'd say he pretty much nailed it.

261324397_274730394622418_873018827443570805_n.jpg
IMG_4190.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I have some pretty big tunnels going in the new splitter and all that pressure has to go somewhere.
Al (@302blown ) at Race Louvers made me some custom side vents to fit where those plastic ones used to be. There was nothing on the market that fit my cutouts so I was in a tough spot. He was happy to take on the challenge and I'd say he pretty much nailed it.

View attachment 74087
View attachment 74086
Man, those are beefy!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Gen 3 w/ ported heads and cams...my guess is you will hit 500whp on a Dynojet. In for results!
Its not actually a gen 3, its basically a "Gen 2 with stock hyperuetic 12-1 pistons" or if you prefer a "Gen 3 with gen 2 heads" depending on how you look at it. Either way, nothing too fancy. A Stock motor with tiny intake cams and ported heads. We made 476/399 with the junkyard motor, I'm hoping for a little bump with this setup. 500 would be nice, more would be even better, but who knows. Look to @Mad Hatter as he will be hitting the dyno before I do. That will give us some idea what to expect.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Gen 3 w/ ported heads and cams...my guess is you will hit 500whp on a Dynojet. In for results!
AND....I am on the wait list for Nationals in AIX.
Who would have thought that 4 cars in class would be "Full".
Wish me luck.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
What???? That sounds like NASA is getting like SCCA, and you don't set up a Class and then block it at tiny numbers! Good luck, that is insane and I would hope your Regional Director would get on the horn for you and complain --- and do it loudly!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What???? That sounds like NASA is getting like SCCA, and you don't set up a Class and then block it at tiny numbers! Good luck, that is insane and I would hope your Regional Director would get on the horn for you and complain --- and do it loudly!!
I don't know anybody, I just signed up with NASA today and am currently applying for a license....don't have any pull with this organization at this point.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Find out who your Regional Director is , tell him you have Frankenstang, are defecting from SCCA and you are claiming political asylum. Then advise him to go to TMO to see that you are immensely famous and warn him that some goofy old man in Nebraska will pester him with a petition ( signed by a slew of TMO members along with 750 signatures from 302Bob alone ) to let you run unless he listens to reason.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Find out who your Regional Director , tell him you have Frankenstang, are defecting from SCCA and you are claiming political asylum. Then advise him to go to TMO to see that you are immensely famous and warn him that some goofy old man in Nebraska will pester him with a petition ( signed by a slew of TMO members along with 750 signatures from 302Bob alone ) to let you run unless he listens to reason.
...a legend in my own mind. I'm sure they will be impressed. lol.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Find out who your Regional Director , tell him you have Frankenstang, are defecting from SCCA and you are claiming political asylum. Then advise him to go to TMO to see that you are immensely famous and warn him that some goofy old man in Nebraska will pester him with a petition ( signed by a slew of TMO members along with 750 signatures from 302Bob alone ) to let you run unless he listens to reason.
Just tell me where to sign.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I am currently in touch with the Gal who is in charge of registration and she's going to see what she can do so....its wait and see at this point.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I am currently in touch with the Gal who is in charge of registration and she's going to see what she can do so....its wait and see at this point.
I got waitlisted too. Problem is that they only have so many sessions are trying to class them all up. Time Trial is blended, so you've got TTU rocketships and TT6 95whp Civics on the track at the same time, and 45 of them. I'm going to assume that they're somewhat treating ST/AI in a similar grouping. I made a somewhat tongue-in-cheek/mocking post in the NASA TT FB group congratulating the only TTEV entry for his championship victory. I'm just a lowly Regional Champ, they had the TTU and TT2 National Champs on the wait lists as well.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I got waitlisted too. Problem is that they only have so many sessions are trying to class them all up. Time Trial is blended, so you've got TTU rocketships and TT6 95whp Civics on the track at the same time, and 45 of them. I'm going to assume that they're somewhat treating ST/AI in a similar grouping. I made a somewhat tongue-in-cheek/mocking post in the NASA TT FB group congratulating the only TTEV entry for his championship victory. I'm just a lowly Regional Champ, they had the TTU and TT2 National Champs on the wait lists as well.

With any luck I'll see you there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
With any luck I'll see you there.
I'll be up there for sure, my buddy in 944 and TT2 nemesis got in, if I can't make my region proud, they better. I have a knack for repairing shiznit via Home Depot. :D

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel