The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I wanted to do dog rings too so it would be like a Jerico (almost) but with all that I'm doing right now I didn't want to spend the money.
Well, now that its too late to do anything about it....I wish I had.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Ala Wai harbour and Keehi lagoon on Oahu, Sailed from Vancouver and then back home to the land of Ice and snow...
We used to take the super ferry (when that was still a thing) from Maui to Oahu when we needed to visit civilization. (I also played gigs there so it was a business expense) Maui is like living on a tiny rock in the middle of the ocean. Not much there but water and sunsets. Oahu is bustling like a tiny LA with better beaches. Both places you can't drive much more than 15 minutes before you run out of dirt.
I spent two years there and believe me I'm thankful to be back on the planet.
Whoever said: "Its a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"....must have been talking about Maui.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lived 18 years on a 50 foot sail boat. Know all about being stuck in the boonies!!! But yeah Oahu was certainly lively, I remember thats the last time I got beat up! Dumb Houle didnt stick to the Houle area!

Coming from Vancouver, Oahu felt like crime central. But after watching Hawaii 5-O and Magnum PI... should have known that already.

But, apart from all that, have some really fond memories.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Another Stock block motor, but this time it’s nice and fresh.

IMG_4127.jpgIMG_4137.jpgIMG_4142.jpg
IMG_4141.jpg
IMG_4145.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Brett Barber of AFS did some clean up on the Gen 2 heads.
Everything else remains stock.

Chamber.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

Intake.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kevin Patten in his happy place. Hacking holes in my car.
Gotta make room for this gigantic shifter.IMG_4165.jpgIMG_4177.jpgIMG_4170.jpgIMG_4174.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
While Kevin fits the shifter I'm hanging parts on the motor.

IMG_4178.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
In for dyno results and feedback on the S1 shifter.
I might have missed this in the earlier pages, Sal, but what's pushing you to drop a new engine into this thing already? It feels like only a year or two since you originally did the Coyote swap.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
In for dyno results and feedback on the S1 shifter.
I might have missed this in the earlier pages, Sal, but what's pushing you to drop a new engine into this thing already? It feels like only a year or two since you originally did the Coyote swap.
It was a junkyard motor that I wound over 8k all year long and I didn't trust the stock valve springs to go another year since I had no idea how old they were and Gen 2 heads have become unobtanium so chancing a collision was a little too risky for me. Then Shaun talked me into doing a gen 3 short block and while we were at it the heads got ported....you know how these things take on a life of their own. Its still just a stock motor with ported heads and Intake only cams. As for the shifter, I bought that back when I was still using 5th gear and shifting up and then back down @ 140+ mph was sometimes precarious so I bought it to eliminate that 5th gear gate. I no longer use 5th gear with the Coyote but I had this $2k shifter sitting around and the trans was out so I figured....what the hay.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Did you already explain why the Gen 3 block vs Gen 2 and I missed it?
Considering the price difference between rebuilding my block and buying a factory new short block it just made sense to buy new and keep mine as a spare. Also, I don't believe there are any new gen 2 short blocks being made right now, plus the gen 3 has one more point of compression @ 12-1 over 11-1.
I'm using all factory internals, pistons, rods, crank etc. so what better way to get a free compression bump?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is essentially the same motor @Mad Hatter bought, they were built at the same time.
The only difference is he has Livernois ported BOSS 302 heads and I have AFS ported Gen 2 heads.
Any other differences are in the car/exhaust, gearing, accessories etc. but the motors are identical.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I went the same route as Sal on the engine block.... Getting a Stock factory 12:1 engine was a strong siren song for me. With all the nice oil managment goodies of course!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel