The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Brand new modified close ratio TREMEC Magnum XL and S1sequential shifter install….Check!

Finally able to make some progress on poor old Frankenstang.

The trans is from #kohrmotorsports and the shifter is #s1sequential Trans mods done by #aedtuning
So Jealous!! Am still waiting for my tranny to get rebuilt.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Everything has gone up........ :ohdamn:
There are also no more out there to be had.
Kohr bought the last 3 in existence and I got one, somebody got the other one and now there is just this one.
Last I checked TREMEC still had none to ship and no ship date so…..

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well in the worst case I can repair my stage 3 every season for about 2000 bucks... Who was that that was putting the BMW flipper tranny in a Mustang?? Was that Vorshlag?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well in the worst case I can repair my stage 3 every season for about 2000 bucks... Who was that that was putting the BMW flipper tranny in a Mustang?? Was that Vorshlag?
I do not know, possibly, but that can't be cheap.
I looked at all the options and as much as I wanted a super bitchen' double trick throw down whizz bang sequential transmission, the simplest, least expensive option was a Magnum with upgraded syncros.
I keep going back to the fact that they don't pay us to race and the costs keep rising and I just can't justify spending oodles of dinero on this thing to go out and do what I've already done.
This may well be the last go 'round for 'ole Frankenstang. Could be a fire sale coming up. Stay tuned.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Best of luck! I have to much fun racing the boss, though will have to take a break this season. Can't sell mine as my oldest daughter asked me to leave the Boss to her when I go west.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dude just buy the T56M...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I most likely will. Moved to a 26 spline clutch with this build thinking of a XL in the future. I assume Tremec will build some more as you can see lots of demand.
Mean time will have to work and get some $$

Sal, could you list the following upgrades to your car in in order of importance/effect?? Making a Xmas list early.

Cortex SLA
Cortex Watts Link
Cortex torque arm.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I most likely will. Moved to a 26 spline clutch with this build thinking of a XL in the future. I assume Tremec will build some more as you can see lots of demand.

Sal, could you list the following upgrades to your car in in order of importance/effect?? Making a Xmas list early.

Cortex SLA
Cortex Watts Link
Cortex torque arm.
Hard to say, I did the watts and torque arm at the same time and the SLA years later.
What I can say is that if you are going to play with roll centers the watts is an important tool. If you are going to set it and forget it, it's less important in my book.
The SLA is another one that if you are going to take the time to do everything right it's great, but if you are just going to throw it on and expect magic you may be less pleased because all the adjustments can get you lost in the weeds pretty quick. I love to strategize and tweak things constantly, to me that's the fun part of racing....but not everyone is so inclined or has the experience/knowledge to do it effectively.
I have talked people through all the methods and numbers I use and they have had good success, so that's available to you if you want it.
The simplest install is the watts/torque arm, maybe that's the best place to start.
Run the watts in the top hole and then the bottom hole. What an eye opener that will be in regard to setup choices....

Last edited:
CA

Cortex SLA
Cortex Watts Link
Cortex torque arm.
@Fabman Where does cambered rear rank in this list too?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Fabman Where does cambered rear rank in this list too?
That's a good one too....really tightened the car up.
Hard for me to put these in a specific priority, they all work well. Side benefit of the cambered rear end is tire wear greatly improved.
I can run the pressures way low and it doesnt eat the corners off. Bottom line is they all work really well, and you would not be disappointed in any of these purchases.

TMO Supporting Vendors