The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Up for grabs...... as in.... all I have to do is come over and grab it? 🤠🤠🤠🤞
With a nice donation to my racing program.....yes.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I do have a brand new unused bellhousing/crossmember kit that I'm not using and my old magnum thats coming out soon that will be up for grabs if anyone is interested.
I also have the brand new syncros and gears that came out of my new one when we upgraded it for 8k+ shifting.
Not sure who besides me is torturing these motors w/rpm like I do so I imagine the standard syncros are fine in most cases.
A stock magnum was in my 700/700 3 valve on street and road courses for years and never missed a beat...(It also never saw that kind of rpm)
The trans thats coming out of Frankenstang also has an s1 sequential shifter on it if that is interesting to anybody.
S1 sequential sent me the latest model in a sponsorship deal so now I have more transmissions and shifters than I need.
Having too many is better than having none which is where I was last summer. I’m only turning 7400 in mine do I should be good for awhile. I’m just happy the supply chain problem seems to have worked itself out so others have options.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Having too many is better than having none which is where I was last summer. I’m only turning 7400 in mine do I should be good for awhile. I’m just happy the supply chain problem seems to have worked itself out so others have options.
Just in time for me to not need one. How come my timing always sucks?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It’s that time of the year boys and girls….upgrades.
Let’s see if we can get these new rear brakes to keep up with the fronts to add some speed (and tire wear) into the mix.
Can’t get any lighter or make any more power so this year will be all about setup, strategy and driver mods.
Will it be enough? Stay tuned.

IMG_7085.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sal, could you list the following upgrades to your car in in order of importance/effect?? Making a Xmas list early.

Cortex SLA
Cortex Watts Link
Cortex torque arm.
What I can tell you is the order in which I did it:
1) watts/torque arm. *Hooked the car up.
2) SLA. *Hooked the front up.
3) Cambered Rear. *Hooked the rear up more, a lot more.

You can make a strut front end work pretty well, especially if you already have a great coilover package.
I think I'd do the watts/TA, the cambered rear and save the SLA for last.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Cool!! For a sec I thought that was for the rear.... I go through the 4" brake hoses like crazy with those big things but its worth it. Think I will replace most of the hose with PVC tubes.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cool!! For a sec I thought that was for the rear.... I go through the 4" brake hoses like crazy with those big things but its worth it. Think I will replace most of the hose with PVC tubes.
Yeah, I made the front section out of aluminum tubing so there’s just a short section of silicone hose. Makes servicing them a snap and 10’ of replacement hose lasts twice as long. Rack limiters help with that too.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The BMR tubular radiator support adds a ton of clearance there, it’s lighter and easy to install. A no brainer in my book.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I couldn't agree more....

"There have been numerous experiences and stories of drivers on the same team, with the same car, having completely different setups.
All the while nipping at each others heels at the top end of the time chart and/or championship points. Write me an equation for that".

I couldn't agree more....

"There have been numerous experiences and stories of drivers on the same team, with the same car, having completely different setups.
All the while nipping at each others heels at the top end of the time chart and/or championship points. Write me an equation for that".
Why I keep notes on different drivers. The water gets muddied on 2 tire changes, dusk and then dawn

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Who's in with me...?

362952379_10226175510268374_7820644719497914030_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If I can get my C130 fixed in time would love to fly over...... And then he woke up!!! Would love to go, but its a long drive.
Next year....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing