The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA
That's a good one too....really tightened the car up.
Hard for me to put these in a specific priority, they all work well. Side benefit of the cambered rear end is tire wear greatly improved.
I can run the pressures way low and it doesnt eat the corners off. Bottom line is they all work really well, and you would not be disappointed in any of these purchases.
Would loveeeee to run it. Really frustrating they force you to go to a coil over though, I’m currently on a separated setup and don’t want to spend the $5k+ on their coilovers PLUS the $6k for the axle itself.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Would loveeeee to run it. Really frustrating they force you to go to a coil over though, I’m currently on a separated setup and don’t want to spend the $5k+ on their coilovers PLUS the $6k for the axle itself.
why do you have to run a coilover?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you do end up with one I have a brake setup I'll let you have cheap.
Rotors, hats, calipers, brackets and race pads.
The cambered rear end uses unique rotors, hats and brackets that aren't included in the price of the rear.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Good to know, thank you!
On their website they seem to act like rear shock is req?

View attachment 87278
While that is preferred, I don't see why it would be required. From a fitment standpoint, everything will still bolt up.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I most likely will. Moved to a 26 spline clutch with this build thinking of a XL in the future. I assume Tremec will build some more as you can see lots of demand.
Mean time will have to work and get some $$

Sal, could you list the following upgrades to your car in in order of importance/effect?? Making a Xmas list early.

Cortex SLA
Cortex Watts Link
Cortex torque arm.
They will make more. It took me a month or so to get one last year. I was on the list with 4 different Tremec distributors and took the first close ratio kit I could get. I could have gotten a wide ratio box sooner.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
They will make more. It took me a month or so to get one last year. I was on the list with 4 different Tremec distributors and took the first close ratio kit I could get. I could have gotten a wide ratio box sooner.
Ads of september they had none and no ship date on new ones....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I bought mine through Modern Driveline. They are a Tremec Elite Distributor in Idaho. Just got confirmation from them they have 11 magnum xl swap kits in stock with the 2.66 first gear if anyone is trying to find one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There are three magnums xl’s.
A wide ratio w/2.97 low for street/drag guys and two close ratios with a 2.66 low. The one we want is the one denoted “with track gears’’ and has a lower ratio 5th and 6th.
The widely advertised 2.66 has a higher ratio 5th and 6th and is less suitable for track use. Would be nice to know for sure what they have. The only place I have seen the track ratio magnum has been at Kohr. I don’t know if he orders them custom or what but it is not the same as the 2.97 ratio trans. I have had both and there are physical difference beyond the gear ratios, so something different is going on with the track gear box. I’d hate to order one online and install the wrong one…. I also heard that that they were going to start making all the 2.66 boxes with the lower ratio 5/6 but nothing official to my knowledge. A quick trip to the TREMEC site just now shows the higher 5/6 ratios as described, so if there is a change it is not denoted on their website which leads me to believe that Kohr is ordering them geared custom for track use. The one we want has the .80 5th gear.

IMG_3208.jpeg

‘track gear” trans from KOHR:

IMG_3209.jpeg
So it appears that Kohr is doing something special….and as I described, at present, there is only one left.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
A wide ratio w/2.97 low for street/drag guys and two close ratios with a 2.66 low. The one we want is the one denoted “with track gears’’ and has a lower ratio 5th and 6th.
The widely advertised 2.66 has a higher ratio 5th and 6th and is less suitable for track use. Would be nice to know for sure what they have. The only place I have seen the track ratio magnum has been at Kohr. I don’t know if he orders them custom or what but it is not the same as the 2.97 ratio trans. I have had both and there are physical difference beyond the gear ratios, so something different is going on with the track gear box. I’d hate to order one online and install the wrong one…. I also heard that that they were going to start making all the 2.66 boxes with the lower ration 5/6 but nothing official to my knowledge. A quick trip to the TREMEC site just now shows the ratios as described, so if there is a change it is not denoted on their website which leads me to believe that Kohr is ordering them geared custom for track use. The one we want has the .80 5th gear.

View attachment 87284

View attachment 87285
So it appears that Kohr is indeed doing something special….and as I described, there is only one left.
That is the same ratios I bought last summer from Modern Driveline and is what they currently list. I was told both versions are shipping with the .8 5th nad .62 6th I have a contact at Modern if anyone needs it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The widely advertised 2.66 has a higher ratio 5th and 6th and is less suitable for track use. Would be nice to know for sure what they have. The only place I have seen the track ratio magnum has been at Kohr. I don’t know if he orders them custom or what but it is not the same as the 2.97 ratio trans. I have had both and there are physical difference beyond the gear ratios, so something different is going on with the track gear box. I’d hate to order one online and install the wrong one…. I also heard that that they were going to start making all the 2.66 boxes with the lower ratio 5/6 but nothing official to my knowledge. A quick trip to the TREMEC site just now shows the higher 5/6 ratios as described, so if there is a change it is not denoted on their website which leads me to believe that Kohr is ordering them geared custom for track use. The one we want has the .80 5th gear.

View attachment 87284

View attachment 87285
So it appears that Kohr is doing something special….and as I described, at present, there is only one left.
It looks like Tremec hasn’t updated their website. Since 2018, they’ve offered the 2.66 box with the 0.8/0.63 overdrives. I bought mine from Modern Driveline in Idaho back in late 2019.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
According to the modern driveline site, they have a 2.66 trans with a .80 5th gear which conflicts with the TREMEC site….now I am really confused. If this is accurate this is great news….again, I’d hate to purchase the wrong one due to an ad mistake or what a salesman says….how can we know for sure?

IMG_3210.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I went through this last summer and knew where to go. I also confirmed with rep at Modern on availability. He has 11. He ssid they try to keep 5 on hand and have been receiving regular shipments from Tremec. Supply has not been an issue lately.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The link I posted was for the swap kit with bell housing and mount. It’s what I bought last summer and confirmed gear ratios were listed on tag when received.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The link I posted was for the swap kit with bell housing and mount. It’s what I bought last summer and confirmed gear ratios were listed on tag when received.
At the time I was shopping for a replacement (after nationals) no one had any. I called Tremec, modern driveline, liberty etc. no one had any.
I was hoping to just get the trans as I already have the bell housing kit. I was happy to find kohr had 3 (with the kit) though I never got a reply to my email asking about them.
In desperation I finally just bought it online hoping they really had one and poof, it came though the price had increased in the meantime, but I was happy to pay the upcharge as this was the only place that actually had one.
So yes they are available now, looks like you can get them without the full kit which is nice and the ratios have been updated as rumoured.
All good news....I stand corrected. ;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I do have a brand new unused bellhousing/crossmember kit that I'm not using and my old magnum thats coming out soon that will be up for grabs if anyone is interested.
I also have the brand new syncros and gears that came out of my new one when we upgraded it for 8k+ shifting.
Not sure who besides me is torturing these motors w/rpm like I do so I imagine the standard syncros are fine in most cases.
A stock magnum was in my 700/700 3 valve on street and road courses for years and never missed a beat...(It also never saw that kind of rpm)
The trans thats coming out of Frankenstang also has an s1 sequential shifter on it if that is interesting to anybody.
S1 sequential sent me the latest model in a sponsorship deal so now I have more transmissions and shifters than I need.

Last edited:
CA
I do have a brand new unused bellhousing/crossmember kit that I'm not using and my old magnum thats coming out soon that will be up for grabs if anyone is interested.
I also have the brand new syncros and gears that came out of my new one when we upgraded it for 8k+ shifting.
Not sure who besides me is torturing these motors w/rpm like I do so I imagine the standard syncros are fine in most cases.
A stock magnum was in my 700/700 3 valve on street and road courses for years and never missed a beat...(It also never saw that kind of rpm)
The trans thats coming out of Frankenstang also has an s1 sequential shifter on it if that is interesting to anybody.
S1 sequential sent me the latest model in a sponsorship deal so now I have more transmissions and shifters than I need.
Up for grabs...... as in.... all I have to do is come over and grab it? 🤠🤠🤠🤞

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel