The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fitment issues w/ M-6881-M50A oil line adapter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Sil Spg MD
I have. It sent me down a rabbit hole of getting better at CAD so I could fix it. I mostly mimicked Ford's design and it even uses Ford's OEM gasket. @navseng used the CAD model to make a custom dry sump version for @honeybadger a few months back. I've been meaning to get a new wet sump model over to Brian for a while now. I could work with him on a couple and send one your way if you're interested and if he still has the time.

Here's what the first prototype looked like:

View attachment 96492View attachment 96493View attachment 96494
Sorry for the late response...been doing work (actual work unfortunately)...this would be awesome if I could get a hold of one of those! Looks like it would put the hose end fittings in an even better orientation than the FRPP piece

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Sil Spg MD
I also considered this but would need somewhere to tap for the pressure
Warren....you could get oil pressure and temp from the remote oil filter mount...at least that's my plan (coming soon). It will allow me to get rid of that T-fitting and plug the factory oil pressure sensor into the the 1/8th NPT port, which should make even more space to wrench on the [larger than snot!] -12AN hose ends....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
So I emailed Improved Racing yesterday to see if they made revision to the pressure port angle to prevent alternator clearance issues. They replied that yes they have an updated adapter going into production in August. I then asked if they will keep the -10 port and this is the response I got

IMG_5770.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
So I emailed Improved Racing yesterday to see if they made revision to the pressure port angle to prevent alternator clearance issues. They replied that yes they have an updated adapter going into production in August. I then asked if they will keep the -10 port and this is the response I got

View attachment 96589

Unfortunately that doesn't really solve the issue of flow reduction where the remote oil block meets the engine block. They're still -10 according to their website so the oil flow will be blocked partially by the remote block still. The ports on the engine block are a little over 19mm. A -10 will have a ~4mm smaller diameter than that which basically gets you back to the same issue the Ford unit's poor fitment causes. Unfortunately the only way around around that is to use a -12 since it is the same size as the holes on the engine block.

Again, I'd just like to say I'm paranoid from losing an engine to oiling already haha. I have no skin in this game as I'm not looking to make anything off the one I made. Whatever Brian's cost is will be the total cost for the block. I'm not looking to make a profit, just fix a problem I found.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
@5.2 liters of democracy .... I'm paranoid as well! Seeing what my oil pressure has been doing has me checking every last inch of the system...I just can't believe that FR doesn't know about this!
I reached out to Ford after testing two different units and my messages were ignored sadly. Sadly there's a lot of poor fitment for parts like this, both OEM and aftermarket.

I can get why companies do -10 and not -12. With the -10 there's nothing special you need to do to have two fittings next to each other. With the -12, you have to offset one of them diagonally to make it fit. On top of that, you then have to figure out how your oil pressure sensor will fit with it all. It took me 27 3D prints at various steps of the process to make it properly.

With that being said, I can edit the model for anyone that needs something different. For instance, Kevin's only needed one port since he has a dry sump and we also changed the oil pressure sensor port size. It was a much better option than plugging one and hoping it doesn't back out. Sadly I saw that happen at Big Willow once but fortunately they got the engine shut off in time.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel