The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forced Induction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NewBossowner said:
Back to that cost not an object thing. Have you looked at this?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2013_5_0L_TI_VCT_COBRA_JET_SUPERCHARGED_ENGINE_p/m-6000-scj13.htm
free shipping!!! well let me go ahead and a loan lol

NewBossowner said:
Back to that cost not an object thing. Have you looked at this?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2013_5_0L_TI_VCT_COBRA_JET_SUPERCHARGED_ENGINE_p/m-6000-scj13.htm

I just recently found that. There's a NA version too, but I can't find any power ratings for these motors.

tlflow said:
Is anyone racing a SC 5.0?
If you want to put a blower on your Boss, I suggest you call Justin at VMP Tuning. He has done more R&D on the 2.3L TVS than anyone I know including his personal GT500, his wife's 2011 V6 and is putting one (assume it's done now) on his 2012 Boss 302. The package costs less than half of what Hennessy is charging and Justin is focused primarily on Mustangs so he's very familiar with these cars. In terms of rwhp, you choose based on pulley size. All the tradeoffs have been discussed previously in this thread, but he has one setup that makes 750 rwhp on this blower. I have road raced with this supercharger but I have to switch to a 3" pulley and drop the boost to around 10-11 psi to keep the heat manageable. It's drivable for sure, but not as smooth as the N/A Boss. You need to respect the go pedal especially coming out of corners.

http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=1466

DGRacing said:
I just recently found that. There's a NA version too, but I can't find any power ratings for these motors.

The N/A version is suppose to make 500+ ponies depending on what other goodies you have. Don't quote me on this but rumours of 700 to 800 horse for the SC motor.

Just a chime in, have you thought about water/meth for your supercharger from what I have read it should help keep every thing allot cooler and Snow's has a new 2.5 gallon reservoir to help with road racing applications, just a thought.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DGRacing said:

I was told by a reliable source in the industry that the NA Cobra Jet motor should expect to output around 550hp at the crank with a competent tune.

ArizonaGT said:
I was told by a reliable source in the industry that the NA Cobra Jet motor should expect to output around 550hp at the crank with a competent tune.

So probably around 500rwhp if you're lucky? I wonder what kind of headers/exhaust those motors are being tested with and whether there's room for a few 10-20 more HP from exhaust.
I'm sure they are strip/track exhausts.

ArizonaGT said:

Update on the SC motor, it is suppose to make 900 hp. No inside info yet though. Just a rumour.

DGRacing said:
So probably around 500rwhp if you're lucky? I wonder what kind of headers/exhaust those motors are being tested with and whether there's room for a few 10-20 more HP from exhaust.
I'm sure they are strip/track exhausts.

AR LTs with open dumps is what the actual Cobra Jet comes with.

Check out the Paxton 2200 kit, nice bolt on kit and capable of some nice HPs. As far as what these motors capable of reliably, Id say well into the 650s with no issues. I have a friend running 690 rwhp and drag races the hell out of it, with zero issues. Most issues seen are the 700+rwhp applications

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel