The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance GT350 Cartridge Oil Filter Adapter Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is for all January 2017 and earlier builds. List is $425 so I wonder what the street price will be? I have two filters in my garage so no urgency on this but it might be a smart investment for the long haul. Ok who's buying one?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6881-52CA

This is what it looks like mounted.

138448-am-i-missing-motorcraft-oil-filter-img_4498.jpg

This is a pointless swap to do.
The ONLY reason why ford did the cartridge oil filter is because people can't torque the oil filter to the proper spec, in reality even the cartridge filter needs torqued. The plastic housing has less chance of loosening but it's still possible. As a mechanic I see each type leak. I personally torque my oil filter to 25 ft lbs. as I do all diesels also. Besides that, the 2017 and newer cartridge filter is a shared filter and not GT350 specific. I'd pass on swapping the spin on to a cartridge type. If you're that worried just install a T bolt type hose clamp to the filter and have the T bolt make contact to the filter housing to prevent it from loosening. Easy!6403b2dc97af74ff5ec6562404c4d589.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattlqx

Mustangless
Nope. If they want to recall it and replace it, fine. But I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on it. I'm perfectly capable of torquing the crap out of my filter now that I have all the necessary tools.

The motor blew up in mine.. :(

My dealer did a courtesy oil change along with the oil line recall I only have 3,900- miles on the car. Although the dealer ordered the oil filter wrench kit for the 17B04 campaign I suspect either the dealer didn't bother to use it or the oil filters just vibrate loose regardless on these motors. Or perhaps somehow the gasket blew out on the filter making the filter appear loose to the dealer mechanic now looking into the cause.

This would have been a great investment to protect me from some severe stress and heartache caused by others. I suspect this was the basis for the invention of the retro kit rather than one being better or worse. I think just one design offers better insurance against the worse happening even at the hands of certified Ford dealer technicians.

My only question now is if the replacement engine will be of the newer oil filter design or not? And how long it will take ford to handle this, it will be 4wks on this Friday, I've already got a Ford corp. case running..

Anyways I view this kit as good insurance.. My dealer told me the engine costs 25K is non-returnable and also unavailable in stock within the US which means it may take a while to source one. In retrospect from the very worst position possible the $425 asking price for the kit may seem expensive however in lieu of my situation it becomes reasonable.

IMG_0911.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the filter housings are plastic. Almost all vehicles that use the cartridge filters have a plastic cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aftermarket has already addressed the VW/Audi guys with a billet cover to replace the plastic ones. Perhaps we'll see a billet cover for our cars soon.

Also the VW/Audi design has a drain on the bottom to make it less messy when removing the filter cover. If an aftermarket is already working on a design for our cars it would be nice to incorporate a drain plug on the end.

194482_x600.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors