The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Forgestar F14 18 x 11 Wheels Front versus Rear Fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfergeek said:
Which has lead me to lean towards the Ford Racing BBS wheels that are 18x10.5 +48 and call it a day. https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23536
Jared, note that those wheels may still need spacers and they have larger holes for use with thicker studs on the race cars. You'll need larger lug nuts to keep them in place. While I don't see the larger holes and lug nuts a problem on the rear I've always been a bit concerned about running that setup on the front.

Surfer Geek, With the Cortex offset struts you would need only a small spacer to provide enough clearance for an 11" wheel. Going to a larger spacer like a 15mm or 20mm would be to push the wheel out as far as possible to have a more square set-up, so the front and rear track are closer in dimension. There are a couple of guys on this site that are running larger spacers like the 1/2" Maximum Motorsport spacer to increase the front track instead of just using them for clearance. It seems everyone on here that got the Vorshlag fitment are needing to run a spacer for clearance If they are running something other than a NT01 or 305 Pirelli slick. Search on here for username NEEMA as he has the Cortex struts and is running 12" wheels. He can give you the best idea for fitment as he is really pushing the envelope as far as wheel size.

Thanks Rick!

I was aware of the holes and lugnuts needed. And I have to run a front spacer today for my 10" forge stars so I figured he same may be necessary for these. Thanks for looking out.

I really want to find a way to run the CF5 with 11" square if possible so I can track it and rotate front to rear without removing the tires. First set of tires will be 305/35 NT01 since that's what I have a new set of on hand.

That seems to be best bang for the buck if we can figure out the secret sauce with the cortex struts for spacer size and offset. Looking forward to pictures from cp85gt (without looking back that's the person who has the 11" square coming in)

NFSBOSS said:
Jared, note that those wheels may still need spacers and they have larger holes for use with thicker studs on the race cars. You'll need larger lug nuts to keep them in place. While I don't see the larger holes and lug nuts a problem on the rear I've always been a bit concerned about running that setup on the front.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
NFSBOSS said:

I was thinking about these. Filip said they'd bolt right up with the Cortex offset strut option. They *would* require the special lug nuts.

Wingrider said:
I was thinking about these. Filip said they'd bolt right up with the Cortex offset strut option. They *would* require the special lug nuts.
Thanks, hopefully we'll get a chance to discuss with Filip on Thursday.

I asked about using the 10.5's up front and someone, maybe Neema, said there were some issues using them. I did find the info on the spacer for the 10":

"Fits front and rear (requires 0.25-inch spacer at front to clear race brakes)" so this does not look like an issue with stock Brembos.

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11825

My concern is using the larger stud holes on the front wheel where there are different dynamics compared to using them on the rear. I'll call around and see if that is a real concern. Probably a better solution is to order the new HRE flow form wheels at the same price for 18x10.5. ;)

I may break this off for a thread on 18x10.5" wheels.

NFSBOSS said:

I asked about using the 10.5's up front and someone, maybe Neema, said there were some issues using them. I did find the info on the spacer for the 10":

"Fits front and rear (requires 0.25-inch spacer at front to clear race brakes)" so this does not look like an issue with stock Brembos.

My concern is using the larger stud holes on the front wheel where there are different dynamics compared to using them on the rear. I'll call around and see if that is a real concern. Probably a better solution is to order the new HRE flow form wheels at the same price for 18x10.5. ;)

I still havent bought my track wheels yet because im in between the forgestar 18x11s, the 18x10.5 pf01s, and i keep hearing our friends at APEX are close to launching a 18x10.5.... glad we have great options and love all the discussion on rims!

edited to remove the PF01s given this: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9814.0

If you are willing to go down to 18x9.5 you can get them for $1250 shipped:

http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/mustang-2012-boss-302s-upgrade-wheel-set-of-four/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

NFSBOSS said:

The reason I am looking at the Ford racing 10.5" so closely over the HRE is price. I may be able to work a connection for significant savings on the Ford Racing, but that is yet to be seen.

Per our discussion and for public record, I would be a candidate for the 10.5" Apex if they made them in a heartbeat.

Eagerly awaiting the results of the 18x11 forgestar test fit.

NFSBOSS said:

Rick/all, with what I've measured and test fit on the Cortex/JRi front strut, you can run a 11" wheel with a slightly lower offset (et50) in the back and should be able to use it up front. It'll be very tight, but it would fit on my car using a 305/660/18 Continental GT-O with no rubbing on the strut housing. You may need a small 5mm or 7mm spacer if you use a wider tire or a tire that has a big rim protector.

This will let you run a rotatable set of 18x11s. To put the 18x11 et50 size in perspective, it would sit roughly 6mm inboard from the pokey 18x10.5 et38 PF-01, so it's still "aggressive;" however, the 11" wheel should stretch the tire more so than a 10.5, so that will also help rear fender clearance, assuming using the same tire width.

Neema,

Thanks for the info.

In your experience with test fitting the different wheels, would you say a fender roll would be required with the 18x11 Square set-up you mentioned?

Any issues with turning radius with the 18x11s? Could you still turn lock to lock with no issues?

I am looking for the best rim to run a 305/35R18 NT01 Tires and be able to fully rotate front to rear, and 18x11 seems to be the ideal match to go with the cortex offset strut housing, if we can get the offset right.

Thank you for the input!

neema said:
Rick/all, with what I've measured and test fit on the Cortex/JRi front strut, you can run a 11" wheel with a slightly lower offset (et50) in the back and should be able to use it up front. It'll be very tight, but it would fit on my car using a 305/660/18 Continental GT-O with no rubbing on the strut housing. You may need a small 5mm or 7mm spacer if you use a wider tire or a tire that has a big rim protector.

This will let you run a rotatable set of 18x11s. To put the 18x11 et50 size in perspective, it would sit roughly 6mm inboard from the pokey 18x10.5 et38 PF-01, so it's still "aggressive;" however, the 11" wheel should stretch the tire more so than a 10.5, so that will also help rear fender clearance, assuming using the same tire width.

Surfergeek said:
Neema,

Thanks for the info.

In your experience with test fitting the different wheels, would you say a fender roll would be required with the 18x11 Square set-up you mentioned?

Any issues with turning radius with the 18x11s? Could you still turn lock to lock with no issues?

I am looking for the best rim to run a 305/35R18 NT01 Tires and be able to fully rotate front to rear, and 18x11 seems to be the ideal match to go with the cortex offset strut housing, if we can get the offset right.

Thank you for the input!

No fender roll needed if you can dial in camber.

You will rub the front inner fender liner with wide tires, especially if the offset is higher. If you have brake ducts and they're not positioned down but instead protrude into the fender well, you'll rub on those. It's very insignificant/non existent on my car. Next time I'm under it, I'm going to pop in the Roush steering limiters (~$15 I think) to make it more idiot proof.

18x11s with 305/35/18 NT01s will be a good match.

Thanks Neema!

We have talked about how it might be necessary to run the steering limiters, and sounds like that may be prescribed as a just in case item.

I am dialed in with about -2 camber right now, (For friendly street/track config) sounds like I will probably also want a fender roll as a precaution going with the 18x11s

Thanks for the info. Getting down to decision time, 18x10.5 or 18x11 and how much will I really gain by going with this square 18x11 set-up over an 18x10.5.

Cost is a big factor here. Looks like I can BBS Ford Racing wheels for about $577 each (lowest price found online, and honored at a local dealer, no shipping)

But the CF5 from Forgestar would only be $350-$360 each. Big cost savings, still a fairly strong wheel, and 11" wide.

Decisions!

neema said:
No fender roll needed if you can dial in camber.

You will rub the front inner fender liner with wide tires, especially if the offset is higher. If you have brake ducts and they're not positioned down but instead protrude into the fender well, you'll rub on those. It's very insignificant/non existent on my car. Next time I'm under it, I'm going to pop in the Roush steering limiters (~$15 I think) to make it more idiot proof.

18x11s with 305/35/18 NT01s will be a good match.

Bump to cp85gt, Any updates on your CF5 fitment? Pictures to share?

Thanks,

Jared

cp85gt said:
I settled on a +55 fitment for some 18 x 11 CF5's all around. They're en route and I should have them on Monday. I have a set of 20mm H&R spacers which will give me about 6 mm of clearance to the strut. My struts are AST 4150's which have a bit thicker strut housing so a bit less clearance. With the additional clearance the Cortex offset struts provide, you would only need the H&R 15mm spacer, or even the 1/2" Maximum Motorsport spacer, tucking the wheels in far enough that I don't think you would have to roll you're fenders for fitment, provided you are running enough negative camber. A +55 offset is about 8.17" of backspace which is good for the rear. I think someone who has the Vorshlag fitment stated that the front backspace is about 7-3/8" with a 8-1/4" rear backspace, so I'm probably within a mm or 2 of that final fitment with the 20mm spacer.

Good to know!

We have to take some measurements, but I think we are coming to the conclusion that I'll go Ford Racing 10.5" all the way around or get a set of 11" with a 50-55 offset. Just have to dial it in, that's why I am anxious to see fitment for cp85gt

NFSBOSS said:
FWIW HRE is using a 55 offset on their 11" flow form wheels as well.

Here are some pics from my initial mount and test with the 18 x 11 (+55) and 305 Nitto combo using the 20mm H&R spacer in front.
P1010271_zpsug2butas.jpg
P1010276_zps6dgkugqg.jpg
P1010277_zpsw2i6bg6l.jpg
P1010269_zpsihzfv0zo.jpg
P1010267_zpsmtrdoxj0.jpg
I have about 5mm of clearance from the rim to the strut. There is a bit of a step on the strut where the endlink is attached that takes up .1" of clearance, so with a stock type strut you could move 2 to 3 mm farther inboard than this set-up. So a +53 with a 15mm spacer would be ideal, or stick with the 20mm spacer for Hoosiers.
The sidewall bulge of the Nitto on the 11" wheel is 1/4" which as you can see from the photos is what pokes out from the front fender with the rear being about flush.
You forward thinking people with the offset Cortex struts could possibly run an 11.5" wheel that you could rotate with the 15 or 20 mm spacer or go with Neema's 12" set-up.
This set-up looks about as beefy as the 17x9, 275 combo on my fox body. These are big cars.

Looking good! Thank you for the pics.

I have a lot more confidence in the route we are exploring with the CF5 now. With the Cortex offset struts I think we could have plenty of clearance with an even smaller spacer 7mm or 10mm and the right offset (something between 50-55).

TMO Supporting Vendors