The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front brake pads squeal 10x worse than a school bus, ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm tapped out right now on the car fund and i'm stuck with these brake pads. they are Raybestos ST31 and supposed to be a high performance max street pad.

http://www.raybestosbrakes.com/magnoliaPublic/home/motor-sports/raybestos-racing-pads.html

The are also known as the Girodisc SS pads
http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-SS-Front-Brake-Pads-_p_6446.html

I have matching Girodisc front rotors.. when very cold or very hot - they are silent and perfect but in traffic they are so bad its beyond ear piercing makes little kids hold their ears at stop signs. They have done this since brand new. I've stopped hard at the drag strip at least 20 times, super hard street duty.. they got REALLY hot I was hoping they would finally quiet down. nope.

any quick fix?

I have no idea how to quiet your pads. I'm using Pagid RS29 F and RS56 R and get no squealing on track or on the street. I leave them in all the time and although they dust a lot they work fine on the street too.

TMSBOSS said:
Ensure you have the factory anti-squeek shims installed.

Pads directly to the pistons will cause a squeak.

you bring up a good point, I do have the titanium Girodisc shims I can put in.. I don't think I forget to put the factory shims back in it when I swapped pads from stock.

Should I put the titanium shims in to see if that does it? else, i'll get a set of stoptech street pads they are supposed to be really quiet. hell, I need much more track oriented pads for the road race stuff anyway. I wish I would not have got a high perf. street pad like this!

here are the stoptech pads i'm looking at.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/stoptech-front-pads-0712gt500.html

and these are what i'd like to run for road racing in Michigan. Hawk DT10.

http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-365-hawk-ht-10-brake-pads.aspx?submodel=Boss302&submodel2=5.0L

Per Hawk tech support I can't use the more exotic higher bite super high tech DT60 or DT70 pads on slotted rotors so the DT10's are it.

So, should I try the ti shims on my current ST31 pads or go straight for the Stoptech street pads?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
twistedneck said:
you bring up a good point, I do have the titanium Girodisc shims I can put in.. I don't think I forget to put the factory shims back in it when I swapped pads from stock.

Should I put the titanium shims in to see if that does it? else, i'll get a set of stoptech street pads they are supposed to be really quiet. hell, I need much more track oriented pads for the road race stuff anyway. I wish I would not have got a high perf. street pad like this!

here are the stoptech pads i'm looking at.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/stoptech-front-pads-0712gt500.html

and these are what i'd like to run for road racing in Michigan. Hawk DT10.

http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-365-hawk-ht-10-brake-pads.aspx?submodel=Boss302&submodel2=5.0L

Per Hawk tech support I can't use the more exotic higher bite super high tech DT60 or DT70 pads on slotted rotors so the DT10's are it.

So, should I try the ti shims on my current ST31 pads or go straight for the Stoptech street pads?

I have the Girodisc rotors and shims with Pagid pads. No squeaks.

The stock shims stayed glued to my stock pads and are easy to miss when swapping pads. I did not install on Pagid pads......at first. Big squeak.

Good luck.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Get some high temp brake grease that also doubles as anti-squeal on the back of the pads. I like the high temp stuff cause it won't break down with the high temps the brakes see.

Otherwise brake squeal is a tough one...

TMSBOSS said:
I have the Girodisc rotors and shims with Pagid pads. No squeaks.

The stock shims stayed glued to my stock pads and are easy to miss when swapping pads. I did not install on Pagid pads......at first. Big squeak.

Good luck.

I'll check but i'm 90% sure I kept the anti squeal shims.. its easy enough to pound out the pads and find out! If they are in place, i'll put the titanium shims on and a bunch of high temp brake grease per DMichaels and see what happens. if still squeal, then its time for street pads.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
twistedneck said:
I'll check but i'm 90% sure I kept the anti squeal shims.. its easy enough to pound out the pads and find out! If they are in place, i'll put the titanium shims on and a bunch of high temp brake grease per DMichaels and see what happens. if still squeal, then its time for street pads.

I have had great luck with Pagid pads for track and street. Once bedded in they wear like iron and produce no squeaks now. I also have the Girodisc rotors and their 1mm titanium shims.

I did wear out a rear set. My fault. I failed to shut off traction control on track.

TMSBOSS said:
I have had great luck with Pagid pads for track and street. Once bedded in they wear like iron and produce no squeaks now. I also have the Girodisc rotors and their 1mm titanium shims.

I did wear out a rear set. My fault. I failed to shut off traction control on track.

Great point, I usually go sport mode if a fun street tire melting corner is on tap.. but I think that mode still has some traction control braking also. Man!

My RR and DR tunes from Shaun both disable everything so its a cacofany of warning lights..

What pagid is equivalent to the hawk dt10? I assume its the Pagid RS29 F and RS56 R ?

'FWIW, the better the pad the worse they seem to squeak. You do need to try and keep the anti squeal clips in place, the reason is, in some designs, the pad will hang up on the bare caliper forging, the anti squeal clips ride between the pad and the caliper and give the pad something to slide on. Not only did I find this out the hard way but when I brought it up to a certain automotive engineer, he confirmed it.
Secondly, getting back tot he squeak, our cars sound like the front end is falling off when they come in, they rattle and pop like crazy, but we beat on them for several practices and a 50 minute race* We use Hawks..BTW

TMO Supporting Vendors