The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

fuel cell / pump question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
Hoping someone can get me some answers here. 2018 mustang GT full road race build. Ditching the stock fuel tank for a 22 gal fuel cell. my question is about the fuel pump / fuel system. It's my 1st foray into the mustang world so a little clueless no matter how much I search about the fuel system. Trying to fig out what pump to run in the cell (will be in a trap door sump) and how it's regulated if I want to keep the returnless factory style system. Stock (or less with the restrictor) horsepower. Am I correct to assume that with all the factory wiring and modules that it regulates itself via input power to the pump? And if that's the case what pump should I run in the sump to wire to the factory harness? I have disassembled the factory bucket from the oem tank so I have the pump from it I can use but didn't know what the other round thing is next to the pump in the basket is and if its needed. looks like goes out from the pump into this thing then out to the fuel lines to the rails. if its not needed and its just drop a pump in the cell and wire it to the factory system and go then that would be the easiest and best lol. Thanks for the replies and help in advance.

Hoping someone can get me some answers here. 2018 mustang GT full road race build. Ditching the stock fuel tank for a 22 gal fuel cell. my question is about the fuel pump / fuel system. It's my 1st foray into the mustang world so a little clueless no matter how much I search about the fuel system. Trying to fig out what pump to run in the cell (will be in a trap door sump) and how it's regulated if I want to keep the returnless factory style system. Stock (or less with the restrictor) horsepower. Am I correct to assume that with all the factory wiring and modules that it regulates itself via input power to the pump? And if that's the case what pump should I run in the sump to wire to the factory harness? I have disassembled the factory bucket from the oem tank so I have the pump from it I can use but didn't know what the other round thing is next to the pump in the basket is and if its needed. looks like goes out from the pump into this thing then out to the fuel lines to the rails. if its not needed and its just drop a pump in the cell and wire it to the factory system and go then that would be the easiest and best lol. Thanks for the replies and help in advance.
I would go to Phoenix Performance and tell them what you want and have them fab it. I cannot remember a single issue ever with their fuel systems. Some had as many as 3 pumps, It was all proprietary stuff, but it would scavenge every drop. Expensive as sin, but you will find that after you go through the fuel cell rabbit hole of death, it would've been worth it.
I have been through the misery of doing fuel cell/ pickup/pump diagnostics for 3 days straight at a track,and it sucks when you pay for a weekend and get about 2 hours of track time.
@ajaquilante

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
im long way deep in the fuel cell rabbit hole lol. But after talking to the right people at ford performance at pri, great convo with Levi at deatchwerks, and 1 or 2 others, im pretty sure I have a solution and all the bits to make it work proper. had to rush the cell but should be here mid next week so I can test everyones ideas before the holidays which lead to loading the car into the trailer for a race at Sebring 1st of the year - if I can get the planets to align and get the rest of the car together and working. 1 1/2 weeks to build a race car - no problem lol. At least I have a good crew and some cnc machines in my shop to help out.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Marietta GA
so ive got the cell installed perfectly now. So final question for this build is wiring the pump. Do I just wire it straight of a switch (through a relay of course) or do I use the oem fuel pump harness and pull the positive wire from there to trigger the relay? I have heard both used. factory wiring harness is being used in the car (I will depin when I have more time).

TMO Supporting Vendors