The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Funny/Good Stories involving your BOSS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
PeteInCT said:
I had the Laguna Seca for just about a week. The UPS delivery guy and my family are all on a first name basis given the number of car-related deliveries he makes almost daily. He was well aware of the family's connection to motorsports based on the cars in the garage in general but never made any mention of his love for the sport also. He shows up with a delivery of my JLT oil seperator and goes absolutely ga-ga over the LS. I mean the guy was really flipping out over the car - you'd swear I had Pamela Anderson nude in the garage! He proceeds to get under the car (in his UPS shorts none the less) to check out the side pipes, tranny scoop, etc, etc. 30 minutes later he's still in my garage in disbelief "that he actually got to see one". It ends up he's a Mustang nut and has been reading about the new 302's since they were announced by Ford.

If it's ever MIA I'll know the first guy to speak to ;D

So that's why my package never got delivered... ;)

I got my new Boss about 3 wks. ago. Now have 1300 miles. Installed Trac Key Nov. 2, 2011. At first didn't notice much difference with idle or perf. But next few days it seems to be self learning new software, and is really pulling harder and harder. The idle seems to be getting more and more loppy. I can even feel the car shaking at idle. It's a blast to drive, but I don't know how long these soft tires will last. Even more fun with traction control off. I've been putting in 93 octane, plus Lucas oil's 3x octane boost. I notice more power with the octane treatment. As per the instructions that came with the Trac Key, the loppy idle does't happen till the motor gets to 170 degrees (straight up on the temp. gauge). And it wo'nt let you idle it up over 2000 rpm until that temp. is reached. When that temp. is reached you hear a ding and there's a note on the screen that says loppy idle now on.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If you live in CT it may be !

Funny, now all my deliveries that are shipped UPS GROUND show up in the morning and on the correct day. I should have bought the Boss a while ago... ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Lanore - I'd be careful with the octane boost - I may be speaking over my head so I'd ask that someone else chime in here. Based on the Ford stock tuning I don't believe the Boss can't do much of anything with anything over 93 octane. Maybe you'll get better gas mileage... I've burned the valves on my old Mustane GT 5.0 by overdoing it with octane boost 'back in the day'.

Anybody have any real-world experience on this topic?

lanore said:
And it wo'nt let you idle it up over 2000 rpm until that temp. is reached.
Well that 'splains that. I was wondering why that was happening after I started it in the garage last night. I revved the engine for some reason (don't remember why) and noticed it stopped at 2k rpm. I thought that's weird, did it really do that, so I tried it again and sure enough it stopped there. I was in a hurry so I put it in gear and backed out, but filed it away to figure out later.

This just happened yesterday. I was going down a 30mph city street when a car pulled up beside me and just rode along for awhile looking at the Boss. I was turning left and had a stop signal, he was going straight and had a green. As I came to a stop so did he and backed several cars up behind him until he looked up and realized the light was green after the car behind him honked

I think that you will find that the launch control was preset at 2k at the plant . you might have reved it up with the clutch in with the red track key on. Next time try it with the car in neutral with the clutch out .It should rev on up passed 2k. To verify, set your launch control up to say, 2500 and see if it stops there WITH THE CLUTCH IN .When the black key is used it will rev passed the 2k point. Oh, and try all of this outside of your garage. LOL

daddyfixer said:
I think that you will find that the launch control was preset at 2k at the plant . you might have reved it up with the clutch in with the red track key on. Next time try it with the car in neutral with the clutch out .It should rev on up passed 2k. To verify, set your launch control up to say, 2500 and see if it stops there WITH THE CLUTCH IN .When the black key is used it will rev passed the 2k point. Oh, and try all of this outside of your garage. LOL
Yea I thought the same thing after I read the launch control instructions today. I'm sure you're right. I still haven't tried launch control, but don't really want to spend $25 worth of Pirelli just to try it ;D I'll play around with it when I have track tires on this spring. Oh and outside the garage definitely :eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niNrw4qwk8s[/youtube]

After my friend Paul and I had TK installed on our Bosses this morning we stopped at a legendary local auto parts store in town. On our way out a guy stopped us and asked if he "can drool on our cars". We proceeded to show them off including the lopey idle. He knew all about the cars and owns a 2007 GT500 putting out over 600 HP with modified suspension (this will sound familiar to a certain member here). He desperately wants to sell his car and buy a Boss. ;)

I let my son take mine to school for the day.It was not a good day for me .I was so nervous I went and swapped his escape for my Boss when he went into school.I came back at lunch and swapped again.Then made one more swap b4 school got out.He said all his buddies loved it ! But I don’t think it was enough to have gotten him l@#@$ ,well you know what I mean!

Re: Funny Stories involving your BOSS!

El Jefe said:
SUPRMN said:
On my way bringing the car to have my family see it for the first time, I stopped to get gas (in a state I won't mention in case this story offends them) and this lady and kids see the car. The kids start to point and smile when she speaks up and says to them "Hey kids look, it's "bumblebee" from Transformers!

Then she turns to me and asks, "Does it talk?" I badly wanted to say it sure does, through the radio too!! But instead I just kept quiet and got into the car at which time I apologized to "Penny" (my car name) and said she means no harm, your much cooler than "bumblebee." LOL

The hottie in my office calls mine Bumblebee as well. Good thing she's cute.

Not so much funny but kinda cool. I was sitting at an intersection the other day with a firetruck parked on the corner and two firemen walked out in the street to stop traffic so I could pull out.

Nothing new about "bumblebee". When I got my new 1969 Camaro in DAYTONA YELLOW I also got names like bumblebee and Banana. Now with my '69 replacement in the form of a 2013 School Bus Yellow Boss I will await the comments..

MA
roketman said:
I let my son take mine to school for the day.It was not a good day for me .I was so nervous I went and swapped his escape for my Boss when he went into school.I came back at lunch and swapped again.Then made one more swap b4 school got out.He said all his buddies loved it ! But I don’t think it was enough to have gotten him l@#@$ ,well you know what I mean!

Your son sounds like a lucky kid! Wow... he must be a real good kid to allow for that.

Couple of funny ones:

When I was on the highway coming home from having the TK installed, 4 kids in a VW Jetta chased me down on the highway, mind you I was cruising at 80 mph. They get next to me and then I see a camera phone come out and one of the girls in the back was video taping me going down the highway! They proceeded to slow down and film each side and angle of the car. They even followed me off the highway a couple of minutes later but kept going, thankfully.

Another time my buddy and I are cruising, he is in his 2011 GT behind me. A couple of soccer moms in a Caravan race up the left lane to catch a look at his car. They follow us for about a minute, waiving at him, then they gun it to catch up to me. I'm doing about 70 mph, they slow down and start waiving and honking and giving thumbs up! I call my buddy and say you know we're getting old when soccer moms go out of their way to say they are impressed with our cars, lol.

Lastly, I was practicing my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts in a 'safe' area, when while coasting in 4th gear I come over a hill and there is a 'statey' parked right there! I quickly press the clutch and brakes and scrub off about 40 mph thinking he MUST have heard my baffle-less exhaust ripping off shifts at 7200 rpm just seconds earlier. I put on my directional and essentially take the on ramp to the highway that he was parked just ahead of, figuring he's going to chase me and pull me over on the highway. I guess he was asleep because I never saw him again, thankfully! Just about needed a proctologist to extract the bottom seat cushion though.

jec246

Good stories all!

I have another one. It's kinda not a good story or very funny. I guess it depends on your sense of humor. I was cruising home late one night. I had to gun it to get on a highway passing a few cars in the process to find a gap. (no one was letting me in). Didn't cut anyone off or anything. I was being nice :D. I exited about a mile down the road and I see in my rear view some headlights coming up fast in the lane just to the right of me. That lane turns into an exit only that curves sharply to the right. When they caught up to me is the exact time that the curve started and... well you can guess what happened. They went skidding off into the turn didn't quite slow down enough. Smacked the railing and slid along it for about 100 feet or so. They were alright but the car wasn't.

All I can say is Sorry for driving a bad ass car... :p

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel