The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen 1 Coyote - Oil upgrade recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
Hey all,

Hoping to get some advice for my current situation. As some of you know, I blew my motor in my 2011 Mustang GT about a month ago. I have decided to replace my engine with a 38k mile used gen 1 motor. The replacement motor is stock other than a boss intake manifold, and I am planning on swapping over my old header and exhaust set up from the blown motor. Looking at doing some upgrades now while the engine is not in the car if worthwhile. I would really like to get a baffled oil race pan, upgraded oil pump, and oil pump gears. Please let me know if there's anything else you recommend.

I was originally looking at the GT500 oil pan and pump kit from Ford, but found out the pan will not fit if I reuse the kooks long tube headers from my old blown motor. So currently thinking a Moroso baffled oil pan will be the way I go, but not sure what oil pump will work with it. The GT500 pump uses a specific pick up that can only be used with the GT500 oil pan, so I've heard. I have heard mixed things about boundary oil pump and gears- do not want to spend the money if there's a risk of the engine blowing up again.

For you guys that have experience here - please let me know what you recommend.

@Kona.coyote5.0 I'm sorry for your troubles. Did you ever figure out what happened? How are you intending to use the replacement motor? This is a boring solution but I'm a believer that engines are only original once and if you can live with it, I think everything is MUCH easier and more dependable on a Coyote with a 7000 rpm redline. Those last 5-800 rpm look awesome but no free lunch.

Good luck, I was loving the adventures of Celeste until this latest chapter and am looking forward to her return!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
@Kona.coyote5.0 I'm sorry for your troubles. Did you ever figure out what happened? How are you intending to use the replacement motor? This is a boring solution but I'm a believer that engines are only original once and if you can live with it, I think everything is MUCH easier and more dependable on a Coyote with a 7000 rpm redline. Those last 5-800 rpm look awesome but no free lunch.

Good luck, I was loving the adventures of Celeste until this latest chapter and am looking forward to her return!
Sorry to hear about your motor. Do you know if the Moroso pan clears kooks LTH?

@stevbd The car has been sitting at my uncles shop and they've been holding off on doing anything while I've decided which route to go. They do see a hole in the engine block. New engine got delivered today. 38k mile gen 1 coyote in really good looking shape- will keep the boss 302 intake manifold, cold air intake, and kooks headers / catless xpipe, but otherwise stock internally. Will get a base tune for those bolt ons in the next week. Once the new engine is installed, I'm planning on taking the old engine home and putting it on an engine stand and giving myself a learning lesson on how to take the engine apart. Hoping I can pull the heads off and if they seem okay, send them to a machine shop to salvage them/keep them for a future build. Will definitely post a ton of updates this fall/winter when I'm tearing into that engine and keep you guys posted as to what the verdict is.

@Mike_FL we will found out. ordered the pan today- will be going on the new stock engine next week with the Kooks headers

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Have been with Mobil 1 5W50 for ages now. OEM Ford oil only lasted till the first oil change.

Ahh, i guess you meant oil system upgrade in general. The good old Setrab 948 is about the minimum, looking back I wish I had gottan a 960. Remember to use 12AN oil lines. Not to mention all the other cooling upgrades. Hood vents, larger radiator etc etc. With the 948, race pan and 12AN lines, the cars takes 14L of oil. Volume helps as well!!

Dont forget... A bad tune will kill and engine in no time as well.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors