The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 and GT350R Weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what are these cars really going to weigh? According to Vorschlag the GT PP with close to an empty tank of gas weighs 3718 lbs. and that's with all the trunk junk and floor mats removed.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57988#post57988

DSC_4878-L.jpg

So Ford has said the GT350 will be lighter but by how much? Let's go with 100 pounds and be generous. So now were down to 3618 which is right were the Boss 302 was.

The R is supposed to be 130+ lbs lighter than the GT350 and the largest chunk of that is the CF wheels. You'll be able to get within 10 lbs of those wheels with quality forged aluminum. Most of us won't buy without the A/C and stereo so let's add back in 30 lbs so let's call it 100 lbs lighter. So now were down to 3518 lbs. To summarize:

GT350 ~ 3618
GT350R ~ 3488
GT350R w/A/C and stereo ~ 3518

While no Porsche Cayman S or C7 Z51 or Z06 that's not bad.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Savings from non TP.

"All the weight shaving adds up to a car that’s 130 pounds lighter than a GT350 with Track Pack."

http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-shelby-gt350

Pretty sure I heard it that way too.

Edit: Straight from Ford:
"Shelby GT350R is more than 130 pounds lighter than the Shelby GT350 Track Pack model, which has proven its durability in multiple 24-hour racetrack tests."
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/01/12/shelby-gt350r-mustang.html

The weight loss is pretty straightforward based on the parts I've removed from my Boss and info from Ford:

CF Wheels (13 lbs lighter per wheel from Ford) = -52 lbs
A/C compressor, condenser and lines = -21 lbs
Rear Seat, belts, and factory belt mount = -54 lbs
Rear seat delete kit added back = +12lbs

This removes 115 pounds net. The balance of the 15 lbs is likely made up wiith the carpet and sound deadening material removal. I haven't seen anything in photos or information from Ford that the Recaros are different in the GT350R from the ones you can option in the GT350.

Most of us will probably run a lightweight aluminum wheel that probably adds back 15 lbs. If you add a roll bar that's another 70 lbs, so net/net you'll probably end up roughly 50 lbs lighter with a track prepped GT350R than a stock GT350 with TP.

The other major consideration for people buying a GT350R for track use is the cooling benefits of the AC delete. Unless they found a different position to locate the condenser, it will block airflow to the radiator. My Boss runs 10*-15* cooler after the AC delete depending on the track and weather conditions.

Well that's good to know. Don't forget the resonators at 5-6 lbs. I'll wait until Vorschlag weighs one before I get too excited but this does look promising. I wonder if there will be any weight savings swapping out the MagnaRide dampers and springs for coil overs? And then the rotor manufacturer also makes CC rotors so if money's no object there's another potential weight savings...

I hope the R puts the hurt on the Z/28 in a big way. The GM crowd gets all giddy saying the GT350 wouldn't exist without the Z/28, like who cares. If they really want to get technical on this the Camaro wouldn't exist without the Mustang and the current Z/28 wouldn't exist without the latest BOSS 302. And don't forget the years when GM didn't even offer a Camaro... But who's counting anyway. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
Well that's good to know. Don't forget the resonators at 5-6 lbs. I'll wait until Vorschlag weighs one before I get too excited but this does look promising. I wonder if there will be any weight savings swapping out the MagnaRide dampers and springs for coil overs? And then the rotor manufacturer also makes CC rotors so if money's no object there's another potential weight savings...

I hope the R puts the hurt on the Z/28 in a big way. The GM crowd gets all giddy saying the GT350 wouldn't exist without the Z/28, like who cares. If they really want to get technical on this the Camaro wouldn't exist without the Mustang and the current Z/28 wouldn't exist without the latest BOSS 302. And don't forget the years when GM didn't even offer a Camaro... But who's counting anyway. ;)
Obviously it can be done since Corvette and Camaro owners are swapping suspensions to coilover setups, but what's involved from an electronics standpoint? I don't claim to fully understand this Magneride system, but from what I've read, the dampers are electronically controlled. I assume the coilover systems the cars above are using are mechanically controlled. What controls the Magneride dampers? Is it the PCM or ABS module? Is it a separate electronic controller? I assume it's tied into ABS and engine management for controlling skids, spins and brake lockup? What is needed to defeat it if you swap to a mechanically controlled damper? Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it really turns out to be, but it just seems that if you remove that element it's going to affect the other electronically controlled systems and require a retune of some sort.

cloud9 said:
Obviously it can be done since Corvette and Camaro owners are swapping suspensions to coilover setups, but what's involved from an electronics standpoint? I don't claim to fully understand this Magneride system, but from what I've read, the dampers are electronically controlled. I assume the coilover systems the cars above are using are mechanically controlled. What controls the Magneride dampers? Is it the PCM or ABS module? Is it a separate electronic controller? I assume it's tied into ABS and engine management for controlling skids, spins and brake lockup? What is needed to defeat it if you swap to a mechanically controlled damper? Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it really turns out to be, but it just seems that if you remove that element it's going to affect the other electronically controlled systems and require a retune of some sort.
I don't know either but I'll guess you'll be the first to know. :p

NFSBOSS said:
I don't know either but I'll guess you'll be the first to know. :p
Actually I'm hoping to stick with the stock system Ford puts in the car. I'm hoping to limit the mods to a rollbar, race seat and harness mounts. Don't laugh.

I'm not sure about an ECU controlled suspension on the track. I disable all the traction nannies permanently. Don't need suspension nanny. But I wonder if the race spec cars have that or a more traditional and less complex setup. AFAIK magneride isn't class legal anywhere. Is it?

DGRacing said:
I'm not sure about an ECU controlled suspension on the track. I disable all the traction nannies permanently. Don't need suspension nanny. But I wonder if the race spec cars have that or a more traditional and less complex setup. AFAIK magneride isn't class legal anywhere. Is it?
I turn them off as well, but that's not my question. My question is more along the lines of how removing them would affect the ability to disable the nannies or leave you with a code or illuminated dash light. Similar situations arise when you pull the stock seats and install a race seat with the SRS system turning off on that side of the vehicle and illuminating a dash light. If it's as simple as a dash light, it's a matter of deciding whether that's enough distraction to worry about to figure out how to defeat it. If it's enough to put the car into limp mode that's an entirely different subject.

My educated guess is that limp mode is only designed to protect the drive/valve train and shouldnt be used "across systems". But that's also why I prefer less computer control in a race car. Drivers may have hard time predicting how ECU might control attitude of car - at the limit. Is the argument against Computer controlled dampers.

Right now I'd bet the race 350's either won't have magneride or it can be disabled without shutting down the car. but it sounds like a complex damper. Just not sure how durable. Let's say one sensor on one damper goes bad. Is the car out of commission??

I'm getting off topic. Sorry.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel