The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Mods - Let The Fun Begin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VooDooBOSS said:
Nice Black Sabbath poster. 8)

I like how the new bar attaches to the gussets. I'm thinking that's going to cut the install time in half. ;D Let @06mach1 and I know when you get ready to tear it apart so we can check the sub belt mount fitment.
Just because I know you were dying to know.........the bar weighs 61 lbs. The Schroth harnesses are another 8. I haven't weighed the seat yet but will once I pull the stocker for comparison. Not sure how much the rear seats and belts will remove to offset part of it.

VooDooBOSS said:
The idea of the R springs is two fold. To lower the car 1/2" and stiffen up the front for the track. I was told that putting the R springs on the track pack car would not be "a train wreck" so it's possible. A better solution might be finding a spring the same height but with a spring rate in between the track pack and R. BTW the R is 1" lower in the front. Half of that is the spring and the other half is the tires which are 1" shorter so 1/2" lower.
Just following up on this comment. I received my new Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine and the cover shot of a GT350R at the bottom of the corkscrew at LS caught my attention. Note how close the front splitter is to scraping the ground, the lack of gap in the wheel well, how fully compressed the front suspension is and how close the CF wheel lip is to the ground. Now think of that on a TP car with the same profile front tires. I still think stiffer front springs are going to be warranted on a TP car and I hope someone has a solution for this early next year.

F36CF628-337C-425A-BF88-C41A6CA07C27_zpsd9cvwc7q.jpg

And me at LS earlier this year.

GBMA1801_zpsszoa6fi7.jpg

My car is currently sitting at Kooks Custom Headers in Statesville, NC. They will be using my car as the test mule as they develop a kicks exhaust system for our cars! They have several ideas they want to try before make a decision on the final design. Each idea will be verified on the Roush Yates chassis dyno in Mooresville, NC. Soon after that, I'll add the JLT CAI and a tune.

Then its time for the Watson bar and some harnesses.

A video of my car on the Roush Yates dyno can be found on my Facebook page: Facebook.com/HiPoJoeCharles

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
ITLRUN said:
My car is currently sitting at Kooks Custom Headers in Statesville, NC. They will be using my car as the test mule as they develop a kicks exhaust system for our cars! They have several ideas they want to try before make a decision on the final design. Each idea will be verified on the Roush Yates chassis dyno in Mooresville, NC. Soon after that, I'll add the JLT CAI and a tune.

Then its time for the Watson bar and some harnesses.

A video of my car on the Roush Yates dyno can be found on my Facebook page: Facebook.com/HiPoJoeCharles

Nice! You're in good hands with Kooks Custom Headers & Exhaust, and they don't come much better than the Roush/Yates Team for Mustang engine development. Oh, make sure everyone who takes part in operating your new Shelby GT 350 has insurance! Better to ask and be sure.

Tip: Once Kooks has the final product ready to install on your car, ask then to have your headers Silver Ceramic Coated, AirBorn Coatings is located close to the Kooks NC facility. You'll be happy you did after a few years of operation.

Good luck and keep us posted,
302 Hi Pro

I called ARP and asked if they are making studs for the Rs. They are, however aren't ready to produce them at this point. So something else to put on the back burner for mods. VOODOO, maybe you could provide ARP some measurement data to assist them in this effort? Just an idea, not sure if ARP studs are something your looking into as well. With your experience and knowledge it could help them. Anyway just my thoughts.

Wonder if Ford Performance will make base and R replacement hubs with ARP studs already on them like they did for my Boss? It was a great upgrade/preventive maintenance.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-frontwheel-hub-bearing-0514.html

GProcac571 said:
I called ARP and asked if they are making studs for the Rs. They are, however aren't ready to produce them at this point. So something else to put on the back burner for mods. VOODOO, maybe you could provide ARP some measurement data to assist them in this effort? Just an idea, not sure if ARP studs are something your looking into as well. With your experience and knowledge it could help them. Anyway just my thoughts.

Wonder if Ford Performance will make base and R replacement hubs with ARP studs already on them like they did for my Boss? It was a great upgrade/preventive maintenance.
See post #30. We're expecting them to be available before track season starts for us in the North. I wouldn't see why FP won't offer them like they did for the S197. They were a very popular item.

GProcac571 said:

I contacted them weeks ago and they are on this and have the info they need. Look for them in Jan or Feb of 2016 and yes they are on my list. When I talked at length with the Ford engineers what worked on the suspension development they stated that they didn't have a single stud break during development and that was with hundreds of wheel changes. The S550's all come with 14mm studs so they should be more durable than the ones on the S197 cars. The need to replace them may not be as important but I'll probably change them anyway. I looked up the price of a stud and it was close to $40 each so the ARP studs will be a bargain in comparison. ;)

cloud9 said:
The one thing I haven't heard anything about is a front tow hook. Not that I expect to break anything on the track on this car ::)
Hopefully Steve at Blowfish Racing comes up with something in the next couple of months. From a previous discussion with him the original S197 mount might be very close to fitting as is. @pufferfish

BigTaco said:
I wonder how the tow hook on the race cars are secured??
The race cars are welded on but note that they are using the steel front bumper beam off of a S550 Mustang and not the aluminum GT350 bumper. That's not going to work on the GT350 so the original mount BFR front tow hook style would be a nice option. No need for the splitter mount though.

gt350%20tow%20hook_zpsjgdfrdqt.jpg

2005-2014-mustang-gtv6boss-front-tow-hook-kit-with-splitter-mounts.jpg

first mod ordered: Sullivan Racing pedals. I've put them in my last few performance cars and think they add a significantly-improved level of control.

To date I have the parts in hand and ready to install:
ARH Long tubes
ARH Off road X pipes
JLT CAI Paint to match
JLT Coil covers paint to match (installed)
BMR Rear lower control arm bearings
BMR Vertical links
BMR Toe links
BMR Adjustable sway bar links
BMR Cradle bushings (delrin)
BMR Diff bushings (aluminum)
FORD Performance Knuckle toe bearing
Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates
FORD OEM rear seat delete (installed)
GT350R front springs
GT350R rear springs (yes they are different)
GT350R calipers (I like red and they are cheaper then powder coating the stock ones)
BOBS dual oil catch cans
Lund Flex fuel tuner

ON ORDER AND WAITING:
Forgeline GA1R open lug 11x19
Michelin Sport cup 2 305/30ZR19
Custom interior pieces, Alcantra shift boot, E brake handle and boot, center arm rest, center stack sides

WAITING IN LINE:
MGW shifter
Carbon fiber 1 piece driveshaft
GT350R splitter

SOON:
Watson 4 point
Harnesses

VoodooBOSS said:
Welcome to TMO. Wow you didn't waste any time making changes. Where did you buy the R red calipers? Also are you going to run a square tire setup?

Thank you for the Welcome!
I bought the R red calipers from the dealer. They are cheaper then coating the stock black ones and it gives me a spare set. The fronts list for $344.00 each the rears list for $251.00 each. I got 30% off because it's a dealer I use for my automotive repair business. They want a $50.00 core on top of that list cost if you don't return your cores. I'm keeping my original ones.
The GA1R open lugs I ordered are 11x19 fronts have a 24 and rears are 62 if I remember correctly. Can't wait to get them!

fuhrius said:
first mod ordered: Sullivan Racing pedals. I've put them in my last few performance cars and think they add a significantly-improved level of control.

Which size and pattern did you order?

TMO Supporting Vendors