The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Motor Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Mesa, AZ
Valves and springs on the driver side bank successfully relocated themselves into the oil pan. Other parts have joined them. Warranty expired less than two months ago and now I’m faced with the dilemma of replacing my motor out of pocket.

A new voodoo is just too expensive, so I’m thinking about a 5.0 swap. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. I love this car and I’m absolutely devastated by this. Viewer discretion advised on the photos.

GT350_cyl5.jpeg

GT350_cyl7.jpeg

GT350e.jpeg

GT350a.jpeg

GT350b.jpeg

GT350c.jpeg

GT350d.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
I'd do a teardown and see how bad the damage is. You may be able to salvage the block, sleeve it, and convert to CPC. That would have been the route I would have gone if I didn't get a deal on a built motor. That would definitely be cheaper than a new Voodoo. My guess is it would be roughly what a Coyote swap once everything is factored in with the benefit of having a sleeved block if you decided to build it out in the future.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Mesa, AZ
I'd do a teardown and see how bad the damage is. You may be able to salvage the block, sleeve it, and convert to CPC. That would have been the route I would have gone if I didn't get a deal on a built motor. That would definitely be cheaper than a new Voodoo. My guess is it would be roughly what a Coyote swap once everything is factored in with the benefit of having a sleeved block if you decided to build it out in the future.
Thank you! I'm waiting to see just how bad the damage is and whether or not the block is intact. Still too early to tell.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Thank you! I'm waiting to see just how bad the damage is and whether or not the block is intact. Still too early to tell.
Hoping for the best for you man. If the block is still usable, I'd sleeve it, convert to CPC and re-pin the harness, and replace everything that has a cavity which touched the oiling system (hoses, oil cooler, cylinder head covers, etc.). I tried my hardest to clean my cylinder head covers but there was just always aluminum dust still in there. Sonic cleaning the parts is another option if the damage didn't cause a catastrophic level of metal dust to be pushed through everything.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
If block is salvageable, I vote getting that cleaned up and rebuilt as a Voodoo or CPC 5.2. Can't tell what kind of damage the head has or if having the valve seats/guides repaired is cost effective on these.

I rebuilt my 5.0 in my garage in 2020. Had Duffee Motorsports clean up the block and balance the crank for the piston and rods I brought him. It's been flawless so far and lasted many more track days than the stock engine did. These are easy engines to work on, just rough on the wallet.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Mesa, AZ
Good tip on calling Ford. I've had such bad experiences with customer service these days that I assumed I'd be told "too bad", but I should at least make the call and see. I did speak to my dealer yesterday but they just started talking about cost to replace the motor. I'll try Ford today.

TMO Supporting Vendors