The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
ArizonaBOSS said:
Keep going! :)
I do..I just get slower in the mornings.....

Made more progress today, with some much appreciated help, got Wally on the lift and removed the Cats and Cold End exhaust in preparation for dropping the Trans and lifting the Engine out:

IMG_3371.JPG

Also removed the wing and decklid panel:

IMG_3346.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good! Seeing your nice garage wall, some of your removed parts can make great wall art. I have many cool parts now hanging on the wall in my game room. Front hood, rear lid with LS wing, front grille, and my stock front seats now with casters ;D

Removed the IP and Steering Column from Wally today:

IMG_3382.JPG

Definitely a two person operation -- with the Column attached, it's heavy:

IMG_3383.JPG

Removed the Steering Column and started the teardown of the IP:

IMG_3385.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    500.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Made good progress today. Finished tearing down the IP to get rid of the passenger air bag (requires full disassembly of the IP) and heater ducting:

IMG_3387.JPG

Dropped the Driveshaft and the Transmission:

IMG_3391.JPG

And removed the Intake Manifold in preparation for pulling the Engine:

IMG_3390.JPG

Intake removal is way tougher than on the Boss -- lots of electrical connections and harness clips on the rear that are tough to get to....

Last edited:
voodoo child21 said:
Transmission looks ok Nick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea Steve, Only damage appears to be a crimped vent tube from impacting the tunnel.

Lifted the Engine Today:

IMG_3395.JPG

Use the Ford Performance Stand (with casters added) for Storage:

IMG_3403.JPG

And started work on removing the Engine Bay wiring harness:

IMG_3402.JPG

Need to splice in a couple of pigtails for RH lights, but the rest looks good :)

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Are you planning on going with an aftermarket clutch at this point? I saw Joe Johnson blew his up at Daytona on a stock 350 recently.

Also, keeping the stock exhaust? Would be a perfect time to go to ARH longtubes :)

Took a break over the Holidays, but got back to "Work" today.

Removed the Rear Calipers, Rotors, E-Brake and Wheel Bearings:

IMG_3437.JPG

Also removed the Knuckle. Half shafts and Diff should be out tomorrow, then I need to check the Diff for damage.

Last edited:
the5 said:
Where did you get that FP engine cart from?

@the5 I bought it from White Bear Lake Ford, online at FordParts.com. Part number is M6038M. I've found them to have the best prices, and typically the FP parts cost less than shown online.

I added casters that I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3ZWN2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel