The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stangfever said:
I'll guess black and red, the question is which is exterior vs. interior? hmmmmm
You beat me to it. I'm going with black on the outside and red on the inside.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Black Boss said:
Yea, the welding on the Headers is very neat. They will get swapped out -- just have to choose between Kooks and ARH.

If you're soliciting opinions, I'd say go with the ARH, their slip-fit mid pipe connections should save you a lot of headaches. I have been frequently annoyed with the ball-clamp connections on the Kooks headers not to mention the very limited clearance to the trans crossmember on the kooks X-pipe. This is on an S197, FWIW.

Regarding paint color...something totally different? Gulf scheme?? :)

ArizonaBOSS said:
If you're soliciting opinions, I'd say go with the ARH, their slip-fit mid pipe connections should save you a lot of headaches. I have been frequently annoyed with the ball-clamp connections on the Kooks headers not to mention the very limited clearance to the trans crossmember on the kooks X-pipe. This is on an S197, FWIW.
Yea, Clearance to the steering shaft is real tight with the Kooks on S197 too.

2012B2L

That Ford Guy
Ford Employee
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Black Boss said:
Any guesses on paint color?

One hint: Interior is different to the exterior [emoji41]
I'm thinking Liquid Blue with Silver stripes would look nice in your garage.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
2012B2L said:
I'm thinking Liquid Blue with Silver stripes would look nice in your garage.

That would be quite attractive and drive the internet insane. :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Great color choice, one of my favorites.

How is the engine and did you get a chance to do any exploratory inspections?

I'm very happy to see the BIW made it back to your shop, let the build up begin!

Also, thank you for taking the time to document your build and posting this thread as we don't often get a chance to see ground up race car builds.

Wishing you all the best,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
How is the engine and did you get a chance to do any exploratory inspections?

No progress with the Engine yet. Unloaded the BIW exterior kit (minus the Rocker panels that are on the car and the rear facia that has been painted and is wrapped):

IMG_3703.JPG

Got the car out of the trailer too -- close up of the front interior, note the tie bar to keep the doors closed and cloths to protect the paint until door seals are installed:

IMG_3696.JPG

Started installing the exterior trim parts at the rear, plugs, vents, Bumper reinforcement -- Watson had already installed the tubular bumper beam :)

IMG_3706.JPG

Also moved the Pedal Box, Accelerator and Steering shaft across from Wally:

IMG_3707.JPG

Found that several of the holes in the Body are not threaded, but self tap with the bolts on install -- pedal box and seat mounts are examples.

Last edited:
Yeah I removed my pedal box from my car because I drilled my pedals in my mill for the SRP pedal covers. That was a fun hot July day under the dash. Having OCD sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Boss said:
Picked up the BIW this afternoon:

IMG_3695_zpsvkc4lz2v.png

IMG_3696_zpssrcevqjs.png

Tomorrow I'll unload from the trailer and the fun starts!
Wow I never saw that color coming. The white interior is great. That's all I got.. Sorry
I'm sure when all is done and the decals are applied it will look different. But the proof is in the pudding and how the car preforms.
I'm going with the ugly girl in high school hits maturity and her complete package is a knock your socks off ending.
I do have to say thank you for sharing your build. And my taste in color dose not pay for your build and I do not want to offend you. You have more cash tied up in your cars and I do follow your threads for solid advise.

Motor on...

superhero said:
The white interior is great. That's all I got.. Sorry
I'm sure when all is done and the decals are applied it will look different. But the proof is in the pudding and how the car preforms.
I'm going with the ugly girl in high school hits maturity and her complete package is a knock your socks off ending.
I do not want to offend you.

Motor on...

No offense taken. Color is a personal preference. I love Black, Red, and Blue but been there. It was time for a change. The finished car will be knock your socks off, at least for me 8)

stangfever said:
Subscribing to watch the progress!

You offer any shop tours? Would love to stop by next time i'm on that side of the state!

TMO members are welcome with advance notice :)

TMO Supporting Vendors