The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looked at Fuel Cell, but it's expensive, you lose fuel gauge capability and the bladders have to be serviced, so I'm sticking with the stock tank.

Nick,

Fuel cells can have fuel gauges. I know ATL and Fuel Cell brands have them as an option.

The safety benefits of a fuel cell are worth the service hassles. Especially if this will be a track only car.

Jason,

Yea, I agree that there's an added degree of safety, but I'm prioritizing full fire suppression initially -- fuel cells add complexity and (in my mind) have less marginal benefit than a well planned, full fire system. The Boss 302S didn't have a cell, while the 302R did due to sanctioning body requirements. Most racers I've talked to while planning the build, said pass. Safety is top of mind given my experience at RA last year, I just haven't been convinced so far.

Other opinions?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Nick I was considering fuel cell as well but like you I weighed out the cost and complexity of having o do a fuel pump and return system and programming the ECU for a return type system. I decided to go with OEM tank replacement that I was able to source for $150 like new from a wrecked donor. The $1700 I saved will go to the full car suppression system since I have full fire experience! I love this car. Great job.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fuel cell definitely expensive--but if you are thinking of running endurance races (including anything over 45-50 mins when we typically chew up all our fuel) I would consider it. Dual-dry-break setup can fill very fast if allowed.

mattlqx

Mustangless
I wouldn't sweat needing a third-party gauge for the fuel level in a dedicated track car. Larger tank for more run time would be nice as well. It seems like in the grand scheme of the build, a fuel cell would be just another line-item in terms of cost but now that the cage is built and car is painted, it'd definitely be more work and cost than it would've been before to reverse that decision.

I made the call on Fuel Cell, early on before paint. A large capacity, light weight, ATL system with all the goodies is close to $4k, and more once you've accounted for Body mods and other changes, and there's a lot of complexity with the fuel system and ECU that I don't want to address in the first phase of the build.....

Meanwhile, I completed some harness mods -- shortened the front impact sensor harness and shorted the hood sensor cable:

IMG_3774.JPG

Also installed the Brake booster, wiper motor and ABS bracket:

IMG_3807.JPG

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I love your new color combo more, every time I see it! Great choice.

Don't forget to "Tin" those wiring splice connections.

Love reading this Epic Build thread!
All the Best,
2HP

Progress was delayed a little, as when I went to install the (new) engine cross member, I found that one of the frame rail attachments was bent -- I didn't spot the shipping damage until installation, but the dealer (White Bear Lake) has been fantastic to work with and a replacement, along with a few more parts, arrived today:

Image 4-11-17 at 1.09 PM.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel