The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Do you have an Apperntice Program?

I can even clean parts!

Tim is right, "Love the color, great build"

Thank you for all you do for us at TMO.
302 Hi Pro

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
(I love this thread) Carry on....

Nick, Looking really good. On track this year?

Hope so! Aiming for mid season to shake down, then a few more mods to hopefully race next year.

Got back from a family vacation and removed the upper and lower Rockers. Replaced the GT lower rockers (included in the BIW EXT kit) with the GT350 specific lower rockers:

IMG_3745.JPG

Also installed the Diff cooler and Diff Cooling Pump:

IMG_3751.JPG

Fabricated a piece of Aluminum with Rivnuts to tie the pump and cooler together as I will not be installing the Evap system that they bolt to, stock:

IMG_3752.JPG

Nick, Wheels selected yet? (Sorry if this has been discussed already)
Will start out with the CF GT350R wheels. Down the road I may switch to 18", depending on brake upgrades -- the stock 350 brakes require 19" wheels....

Built up the Rear facia today.

Started with the GT upper facia (included in the BIW EXT kit):

IMG_3754.JPG

Trimmed off the lower section:

IMG_3756.JPG

Added the GT350 lower extension and added the reflectors:

IMG_3757.JPG

Need to add the back up light. Will skip the license plate lights ;)

I like it! This is like a huge erector set project. I'm sure you're having fun with it.

Moved onto the IP wiring Harness today. Removed the harness from the stock IP metal frame (this does not get re-used):

IMG_3764.jpeg

Had to move the Junction box forward and up to clear the front upright on the Roll Cage. Of course Murphy's law played a role and it obscured the 2 body ground locations, so the first holes got drilled in a new BIW -- still at least I re-used one old location to secure the junction box:

IMG_3769.JPG

More drilling for grounds in the front cowl, as the discarded frame had 3 body ground locations:

IMG_3772.JPG

Lots of zip ties to secure the harness to the front of the cross bar:

IMG_3771.JPG

Spent time grinding off the excess seam weld on the pinch weld flange so I can fit Mike's jacking plates -- took a while -- need to prime/paint before adding the jacking plates:
IMG_3779.JPG
Also it's fun finding every part, nut, bolt and rivet on the car. I would never have guessed the trunk bump stop pillars are unique to the GT350 or R -- that's the result of no trunk trim!

IMG_3777.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel