The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yep -- The larger Oil pan is a (marginally) bigger issue than the headers -- with enough down angle on the rear of the engine, the headers will just fit, so long as you remove the radiator fan to provide clearance up front. The problem is with that much angle the larger pan fouls the K member.

In this picture is the engine bolted in place?
The reason I ask is, I have ARH also and my headers do not hang that low.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Engine is bolted to the mounts loosely, but tilted back and supported by the traveling jack -- it's easier to install the transmission that way, then raise the rear of the tranny to the mount, and finally tighten the engine mount bolts fully -- that way the engine is also centered laterally, once the rear tranny mount centers the rear of the Transmission...

Mantic
Spec
McLeod
All make 5.2/3160 clutches.

Yes -- I saw 2 of those. Had a bad experience with McLeod on the Boss, it lasted less than half the time of the Exedy which is still going strong, which is why I didn't go that route. Haven't seen any durability data on either the Spec or Mantic -- would certainly be interested in others experience for a dedicated track car.

Yes -- I saw 2 of those. Had a bad experience with McLeod on the Boss, it lasted less than half the time of the Exedy which is still going strong, which is why I didn't go that route. Haven't seen any durability data on either the Spec or Mantic -- would certainly be interested in others experience for a dedicated track car.

I agree with you.
Id rather keep the oem clutch because not enough user data is available with the aftermarket clutches.
Not to mention the cost of the aftermarket is $2500+.
That’s a lot of oem clutches.

So some good news. Got the Transmission and MGW shifter installed today:

fullsizeoutput_121f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_121d.jpeg

The "not so good news" Even though I jiggled both headers to the mid point of their tolerance fore and aft and up and down at installation, once I centered the transmission, the RH header is higher and further outboard than the LH, to the point where there is less than 1mm clearance to the frame rail :(

Next job is to undo the header bolts and re-align.

So some good news. Got the Transmission and MGW shifter installed today:

View attachment 4878

View attachment 4879

The "not so good news" Even though I jiggled both headers to the mid point of their tolerance fore and aft and up and down at installation, once I centered the transmission, the RH header is higher and further outboard than the LH, to the point where there is less than 1mm clearance to the frame rail :(

Next job is to undo the header bolts and re-align.

This is what I was afraid of.
A few threads ago I mentioned the clearance of the RH header.
You need to contact Nick at ARH.
I just sent mine back because when I removed them from my 16 track pack to install them on my 18R I noticed they were slightly rubbing.

The problem with the header wrap is obviously the increased diameter and lack of clearance but also voids the header warranty once used in a running engine.

Good luck!
Pm me if you want Nicks personal contact.

This is what I was afraid of.
A few threads ago I mentioned the clearance of the RH header.
You need to contact Nick at ARH.
I just sent mine back because when I removed them from my 16 track pack to install them on my 18R I noticed they were slightly rubbing.

The problem with the header wrap is obviously the increased diameter and lack of clearance but also voids the header warranty once used in a running engine.

Good luck!
Pm me if you want Nicks personal contact.

I didn’t have fitment issues with ARH long tubes in my 2017 GT350. Just a bugger installing in general for lack of bolt access.

What’s this about? Why an issue with header wrap? I didn’t see that.

My point is, header wraps void header warranty.
No header manufacturer will stand behind a warranty if a wrap is used.

And since a wrap is .XXX thick it also increases the O.D. of the tube, which effects clearance issues in tight areas.

My point is, header wraps void header warranty.
No header manufacturer will stand behind a warranty if a wrap is used.

And since a wrap is .XXX thick it also increases the O.D. of the tube, which effects clearance issues in tight areas.

I see nothing about wrap and warranty issues with ARH. Fitment was a non issue as well. Thickness increase is marginal and the tubes don’t get that close to any part of the car where they caused an issue.

I see nothing about wrap and warranty issues with ARH. Fitment was a non issue as well. Thickness increase is marginal and the tubes don’t get that close to any part of the car where they IMG]5b7f08e7fdfc72016fe5699aad4708ea.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180903/073c9fc8604b070f1de5ffbbf418d272.png[/IMG
I have the very first set of headers ARH made for the GT350. When I was doing tuning it was getting false knock.
When I removed the headers to sell my GT350 this is where they were hitting.
I have a new set coming and will be here by Thursday. Once I get them on my new car I’ll report back.
Great customer service!

Last edited:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180903/073c9fc8604b070f1de5ffbbf418d272.png[/IMG
I have the very first set of headers ARH made for the GT350. When I was doing tuning it was getting false knock.
When I removed the headers to sell my GT350 this is where they were hitting.
I have a new set coming and will be here by Thursday. Once I get them on my new car I’ll report back.
Great customer service!

I did not have any clearance issues with mine. Some may due to manufacturing defects. Pipe to pipe of the header is tight in areas where you can’t get wrap between them but nothing too close with the rest of the car.

I did not have any clearance issues with mine. Some may due to manufacturing defects. Pipe to pipe of the header is tight in areas where you can’t get wrap between them but nothing too close with the rest of the car.

I have the very first set of GT350 headers ARH made. I was having false knock issues on my first gt350 and when I removed them this is what I found.
The headers had 1/4-3/8” clearance when parked or engine off, but under hard acceleration they would rub.
I’ll have my replacement set Thursday.
They will be going on my 18R.
ARH Customer service is top notch.

6df95d6fa55b1f8191658e4ee60f200a.jpged6c43fa02c1e9f1e48b2c67123bed3b.jpg

I have the very first set of GT350 headers ARH made. I was having false knock issues on my first gt350 and when I removed them this is what I found.
The headers had 1/4-3/8” clearance when parked or engine off, but under hard acceleration they would rub.
I’ll have my replacement set Thursday.
They will be going on my 18R.
ARH Customer service is top notch.

6df95d6fa55b1f8191658e4ee60f200a.jpged6c43fa02c1e9f1e48b2c67123bed3b.jpg

No hits or false knocks for me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel