The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My RH header is right against the frame rail with the engine installed fully to the left. I called ARH (thanks for the contact Scott) and apparently they recently made a design change and are shipping a new header.

Great customer service, BUT a real pain as I have to un-install, remove the wrap, re wrap and re-install.

Last edited:
My RH header is right against the frame rail with the en I called ARH (thanks for the contact Scott) and they made a design change and are shipping a new header.

Great customer service, BUT a real pain as I have to un-install, remove the wrap, re wrap and re-install.

I hear you on the install pain. I wonder what the fit issue is they changed? It was fine in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know what they changed, but depending on when I get the replacement header, this will delay shakedown by at least 2 weeks. While I enjoy working on the car, I hate having to undo stuff, with no net benefit. At least they have a fix...

Last edited:
I know you’re pressure lubing the engine before start up.
Perfect!

But for future FYI
You can floor the gas pedal and press the start button to lube the engine prior to start up.
This cranks the engine over without starting it and builds oil psi.

I know you’re pressure lubing the engine before start up.
Perfect!

But for future FYI
You can floor the gas pedal and press the start button to lube the engine prior to start up.
This cranks the engine over without starting it and builds oil psi.

Yes, I use that procedure every time I change the oil. Figured as this is a brand new build that pre-lube was extra insurance.

Meanwhile, got the RH header out:

A493A1AA-611A-4CB4-9CEC-CE9F07CCE3B7.jpeg
You can seen the foul location next to the tape:

12BE8D53-CB02-4C5B-B991-17C53A28D4F7.jpeg

Here’s my left side header in ARH jig.
f90baf3e0dad5f38060e5ddaac20297c.jpg

Here’s my left header on my 16 track pack. Not the best picture but it kissed the heat shield.
52e45291ac653b51e1fd78ab30cde9ec.jpg

Here’s the right side that would kiss the clamp during engine torque over.
fe72449304373d47bc9e2c1dea9cd6eb.jpg

When I receive my new set of headers I’ll install them on my 18R and check the fitment.

Here’s my left side header in ARH jig.
f90baf3e0dad5f38060e5ddaac20297c.jpg

Here’s my left header on my 16 track pack. Not the best picture but it kissed the heat shield.
52e45291ac653b51e1fd78ab30cde9ec.jpg

Here’s the right side that would kiss the clamp during engine torque over.
fe72449304373d47bc9e2c1dea9cd6eb.jpg

When I receive my new set of headers I’ll install them on my 18R and check the fitment.

Wow that is too close. Mine have gap there. No hits under load. No false knocks.

What diameter headers are you both running? They offer 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 on the ARH site. I ordered 1 7/8 right from them and have adequate clearance with the vehicle.

What diameter headers are you both running? They offer 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 on the ARH site. I ordered 1 7/8 right from them and have adequate clearance with the vehicle.

Kevin
Like I keep telling you. I have the very first set of Gt350 headers, mine are 3 years old.
Things were changed since then.
I have 1-7/8”

But it’s obvious since Nicks newer set, ( I also know of a few others that are having clearance issues) someone or something isn’t being done right when made.

Since headers are hand made, its most likely who ever welded them together or when the tubes are bent is the reason why they rub.

Hopefully my new set provides more clearance. Not something I want to keep installing and removing.

ARH for the GT350 are the same mustang header from 2011-2018.
The only difference the GT350 headers have are
.062 wall thickness tube.

Kevin
Like I keep telling you. I have the very first set of Gt350 headers, mine are 3 years old.
Things were changed since then.
I have 1-7/8”

But it’s obvious since Nicks newer set, ( I also know of a few others that are having clearance issues) someone or something isn’t being done right when made.

Since headers are hand made, its most likely who ever welded them together or when the tubes are bent is the reason why they rub.

Hopefully my new set provides more clearance. Not something I want to keep installing and removing.

ARH for the GT350 are the same mustang header from 2011-2018.
The only difference the GT350 headers have are
.062 wall thickness tube.

Oh I know yours was the first set. Just curious about the diameters

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel