The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 GT350R Race Car Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Rivnuts are my favorite fastener.

Is this going to go in front of the radiator or off to the side? The cooler looks sizeable--another 948?

Are you going to run the stock trans and diff coolers? My experience in hot weather is the trans cooler gets the job done but the diff runs hot.

I'm a bit shocked at the caliper nut torque figure of 40 lb-ft. I don't know the particulars of the stud shown but from a cursory visual (admittedly far from precise) inspection, the torque figure will barely impart enough stretch on the stud to properly retain the caliper. Have any other views of those brackets?

In the V6L
I'm a bit shocked at the caliper nut torque figure of 40 lb-ft. I don't know the particulars of the stud shown but from a cursory visual (admittedly far from precise) inspection, the torque figure will barely impart enough stretch on the stud to properly retain the caliper. Have any other views of those brackets?
The caliper nuts don't do much except keep the caliper from falling off. The torque spec from Ford is huge considering that all the loading on the bolts (or studs) is in shear, not stretch. If they're tight enough not to vibrate loose, they're tight enough. I torque my OEM T60's to 100 ft-lbs, and if I were running studs instead of bolts (which I just might be), I'd be at around 60 ft-lbs. Anything more stresses the fastener without providing any benefit.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If those are the Radi-CAL motorsports calipers like on the 350S, they are gonna be sweet.

Regarding the caliper nut torque, the Brembo motorsports stuff calls for 80 ft-lbs, but I'd wager that AP Racing knows a thing or two about how brake systems work ;)

I would assume them to know their work as well. But JAJ, I respectfully disagree. What creates friction at the nut is the amount of stretch in the stud. If it is not stretched properly, and that is dependent upon material properties, heat treatment, size, etc, the nut will indeed come loose from vibration/heat cycling (using jet nuts and the like can work to stake the nut) and encourage fatigue.

If those are the Radi-CAL motorsports calipers like on the 350S, they are gonna be sweet.

Regarding the caliper nut torque, the Brembo motorsports stuff calls for 80 ft-lbs, but I'd wager that AP Racing knows a thing or two about how brake systems work ;)
Yes Radi-CAL.

Another shot of the caliper bracket:
IMG_4291.JPG
Got the Diff in today:

IMG_4289.JPG

And test fit the planned Diff breather line/vent:
IMG_4292.JPG

TMO Supporting Vendors