The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT500 Musfflers at Laguna.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the side pipes off right now and plugged (Got CRUSHED at Button Willow). I have 2012 GT500 mufflers, any issue with 90db at Laguna in May ?

I've run the GT500 mufflers with stock size discs with no issues at a 90 db day. Another member has run the same mufflers with 3/4" discs with no issues. Those were on clear warm days. I suspect it might be different on foggy days. Maybe others have experience on foggy days and can chime in.

At Laguna yesterday - Great Day! Bone stock GT500 pitted next me blew a 95.4 twice (90 day) while turning about a 1:46/47 average on Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Myself and the other Boss in D group had not issues - I run with pipes open.

FWIW!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
NFSBOSS said:
I've run the GT500 mufflers with stock size discs with no issues at a 90 db day. Another member has run the same mufflers with 3/4" discs with no issues. Those were on clear warm days. I suspect it might be different on foggy days. Maybe others have experience on foggy days and can chime in.

The only day I've had at MRLS with fog was my Jaguar Alive day (got to meet Davy Jones) and we couldn't use the cutouts on the cars because of sound. I think the wx wouldn't have mattered because the F-Type would likely have blown the 90 dB out of the water. I got meatballed for 96 with Borlas and wide open sides in '13 but I got more aggressive going up the hill after 5. If you're worried, don't accelerate as hard after 5 or keep the sides plugged. If I had to bet, and I wonder if anyone has tested this, I'd guess because the right side faces toward the sound hut at MRLS, it's a bigger concern than the rear or the left exhaust exit.

Ashley, I think you can still get meatballed/black flagged at Laguna Seca if you have GT500 mufflers, but it needs to be socked in with cool dense moisture (fog). If you have headers and no cats, that may not help much either. I have passed 92dB sound with a stock exhaust + GT500 mufflers but it was riding the limit at 92.8 dB.

If it's warm and sunny, the odds will be in your favor.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
Would a stock Boss 2013 with just the side pipe restrictor plates removed pass the 90 db noise restriction, or would even that mod be too loud?

PhilTaylor said:
Would a stock Boss 2013 with just the side pipe restrictor plates removed pass the 90 db noise restriction, or would even that mod be too loud?
Viper posted that he wasn't over the sound limit running open side pipes and stock muflers. My take on this is I put my stock discs in my car for LS because I don't want to think about it while I'm there and how loud my car is really doesn't matter. The track is a blast to drive and that's all I want to focus on.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
NFSBOSS said:
Viper posted that he wasn't over the sound limit running open side pipes and stock muflers. My take on this is I put my stock discs in my car for LS because I don't want to think about it while I'm there and how loud my car is really doesn't matter. The track is a blast to drive and that's all I want to focus on.

Got it, thanks.

It's not that I care how loud my car is, but more I lack tools and space to work on it myself. So while I would consider driving down to LS to run it just because it is such an iconic track, especially for this car; I wouldn't want to deal with putting the disc's back in and then out again just to run LS.

I thought I remembered reading somewheye that there are the rare unlimited or 96 db days at LS?

And thanks again for the update, I love this board because it is so chock full of people both knowledgeable and helpful.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
ufnavy06 said:
I'd say we could do it the morning of and remove them before you left for the day at the track.

you guys are seriously great. a very large part of this board is the nice, knowledgeable and generous people. its not just about the info here.

thanks, it makes me consider making the long-ish drive.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
PhilTaylor said:
you guys are seriously great. a very large part of this board is the nice, knowledgeable and generous people. its not just about the info here.

thanks, it makes me consider making the long-ish drive.

+1.

I make the pull to VIR from West of Chicago because of the guys I met on this site.

TMO Supporting Vendors