The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GTD Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The new supercar Mustang was unveiled at the Las Vegas Ford meeting in front of the moniker GTD. Carbon fiber body, transaxle, 50/50 weight balance, 800+ hp. I have pictures that someone took but kind of afraid to share them.
It already broke cover in europe, so go for it..

I wonder if you'll be able to order one with a more S550 look. The S650 just looks weird with all that aero hanging off it.
I don't think it would make a difference in the overall look, but I can guarantee that this will not be available in the style of an outgoing product design. There's absolutely zero point for Ford to offer that. With the S650 shape it can at least claim to be some sort of halo car for that model line.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Wild, is this the mid-engined car that Multimatic is building?
Apparently yes. I had a hard time believing they stuffed the engine behind the driver in a Mustang. But it has sort of been confirmed. Also 95% that it will be a hybrid. Apparently it was whisper quiet when it pulled on stage but had exhaust noise when leaving the stage.

That lower front grille is very Ford GT'ish. Makes me wonder if this is using the Ecoboost V6 with a hybrid front drive assist or if it's just a dry sump engine mounted far enough back that it's a "front-mid-engined" car like the Mercedes AMG GT or something.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
That lower front grille is very Ford GT'ish. Makes me wonder if this is using the Ecoboost V6 with a hybrid front drive assist or if it's just a dry sump engine mounted far enough back that it's a "front-mid-engined" car like the Mercedes AMG GT or something.
Well I looked up the definition of mid-engined and its very vague. Just that the engine is between the two axles. So it could still be in front of the driver. I was trying to figure out the need for the huge fender vents if the engine was behind the driver.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The front is nearly identical to the GT3 race car, so I would assume this will be a road going version of that platform, which is not an S650. The engine sits WAY back in the GT3, but still in front of the driver.

IMG_8451.jpeg

IMG_8450.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Jim Farley was teasing this back in March when the GT3 was unveiled…

IMG_8452.jpeg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Halo cars. Not for the average guy. That car in the picture is kind of reminiscent of the old Cobra coupes, though obviously it's much bigger and aero was not much of a thing in the Cobra days.
Which is what's nice about Mustangs, the average guy can actually afford one. Or could, the way prices are now I'm not sure Joe Average can afford one. But it's like that with everything these days.

I never understood doing a mid engine car because it makes maintenance a PITA, unless the whole thing opens up like the old GT40s. That Aston Martin we ran was a 50/50 car and the engine was in the front, so from that perspective, it's not necessary. What might be the deal is that a midish engine car loads the chassis differently.. polar moments and all that would possibly be different, not an engineer, but I grasp the concept. Like the Porsche 911 platform, they are known for awesome stopping because the way the chassis is loaded under braking, what they are also known for is breaking loose mid or off corner and going into walls. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Which leaves the aero the sole reason for going mid engine, it leaves the front of the car a blank page for ducting, radiators, lower nose... etc. Like the old IMSA silhouette cars in the 80s, it just depends on how much they will be forced to follow the road car's looks...
for those scoring at home....

Yep, that's a Mustang/Capri
4 cylinder turbo BTW
1692279931274.png

OKay, I think the mid-engined thing is bullshit after more research. I think what we're seeing here is a VIN-less privateer car along the lines of the Ford GT MKII that Multimatic offered.

The car itself is named after the IMSA GTD class which is based on the global GT3 spec cars (like the Mustang GT3), but this one is unrestricted the same way the GT MKII used different aero and made more hp than the sanctioning bodies ever let the actual race car make.

Betting the announcement today is not for an actual street car when it's all said and done, but rather a $300K ultimate weekend track day car with a minimal interior and no VIN. My guess is that they're getting the 50/50 weight balance by running a sequential transaxle and the car is a front-mid-engine setup. Look how low and far back the drysump coyote sits in the GT3 racecar. They may be claiming this is "mid-engine the way an AMG GT is mid-engine.

1692281394942.png

Technically mid-engine can be used to describe any engine that sits in between the axle centerlines, regardless of position relative to the driver, but most people don't connotate it that way. A better term would be 'Front-Mid Engine', which denotes an engine that is in front of the driver, but entirely behind the front-axle line when viewed from the side.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I'm still under media embargo until the official reveal tonight (8/17), but it's funny to read to speculation and the comments.

FYI : GT3 is considered front-mid engined because the engine sits fully behind the front axle, which was made possible thanks to the rules allowing us to extend the wheelbase by 60mm. Something we obviously can't really do on a production vehicle due to manufacturing costs and having to re-crashtest the platform.
And yes, GT3 is S650 based as it was legally homologated with the FIA from the S650 Mustang DarkHorse (all this info is in the press release, but people don't read, they speculate and share opinions...)

I'll come back tonight to discuss :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ah, but Ford Marketing is wise to bring out prototypes and unique machines to build the dreams and keep excitement super high, so congrats to the folks who built the GTD --- Gee That's Deranged!

TMO Supporting Vendors