The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2024 NASCAR Mustang DH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Interesting treatment of the nose & front fenders on the NASCAR version.

Stock nose - notice how the transition from hood to fender falls away to the side of the car.
1698957254178.png

NASCAR DH nose - notice raised ridges above the fenders that traps high-pressure air on the nose instead of letting it spill over the side, giving more front downforce.
1698957180346.png
1698957204481.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
Interesting treatment of the nose & front fenders on the NASCAR version.

Stock nose - notice how the transition from hood to fender falls away to the side of the car.
View attachment 91043

NASCAR DH nose - notice raised ridges above the fenders that traps high-pressure air on the nose instead of letting it spill over the side, giving more front downforce.
View attachment 91041
View attachment 91042
Those fenders should have come on the production cars, those high arches are sweet !!

I think you'll find the production car has plenty of downforce. The NASCAR spec stuff is just that NASCAR spec stuff that has to be compatible with the Camaro and the Toileta

I like how this car has the ultimate road race chassis from the start.. Xtrack gearbox (i mean transaxle) is at least 50k a pop, can you imagine the cost of the Ohlins TTR 5 way dampers?
They are basically copying the Aussie V8 Supercars.
Sort of a conspiracy theorist on this, the Aussie V8s are by far the best racing series on the planet for stock cars. If you have ever seen them , you know what I mean, door to door, every lap on road courses. They ran once in COTA, and it was a good show, but at the time I was thinking that NASCAR needs to copy what these guys are doing..apparently they did.
The level of their abilities was pretty clear at Detroit when Vanginsbergen won the race in the rain. McLaughlin, another Aussie V8 guy is running in Indycar right now. Those guys are no joke, some of the best drivers out there, and the technology of the cars is such that you don't have to " dumb yourself down" to match the lower tech of the cars, like in the past.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Totally agree the new NASCAR is a copy of Aussie V8 Supercar. And McLaughlin was on Penske's Aussie V8 team before moving to Penske's IndyCar team.

Watching the Detroit race, half the announcers couldn't pronounce van Gisbergen - who's Von Ginsburg? And every time they said his name, my brain was doubling it with the Aussie V8 announcer's pronunciation - Shaaayne van Geeeezzbuhgin.

nascar vs supercar
365/35/18 vs 280/40/18
5.86L 8500-9000 RPM vs 5.0L 7500 RPM limit.
3200lbs vs 2900lbs without driver and fuel
3400 and 3100 with driver and fuel min
Aero - mostly from floor and spoilers vs. huge wings
670 vs 640 HP..
5 speed sequential vs 6 speed seq
wheelbase 110" vs. 109"
78.6 vs 76.4" width
50.4" vs 50.1" height

For some reason the V8 supercars do look more tall and narrow on track but i can't seem to find the specs that bear that out.

TMO Supporting Vendors