The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASCAR legitimacy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
A wise man once told me that oval track racers are racing each other while road course racers are racing the track. I don't think that's too far from the truth. I've done both, from a technical perspective there's no question road course racing is more difficult, but oval racing can be a hell of a lot more fun.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
A wise man once told me that oval track racers are racing each other while road course racers are racing the track. I don't think that's too far from the truth. I've done both, from a technical perspective there's no question road course racing is more difficult, but oval racing can be a hell of a lot more fun.

oval track racers are racing each other while road course racers are racing the track.

DAMN! Love it

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Soddy Daisy, TN
Watched Dale crash and that was enough for me.
Same here. The sport just didn't interest me any longer. My grandfather watched Nascar when I was a kid in the 80's and of course I would watch it with him. He didn't really like Dale, but I did. His never give up and aggressive attitude did it for me as I sort of related him to Michael Jordan. To me, they both had the same approach to their respective sport. Another sad day was in 1994, I was watching when Ayrton Senna was killed at Imola. I will never forget that day either as I was 17 and it was a huge impact to me as he was my favorite F1 driver and had been since he was with Lotus/JPS. I was still upset at the time that he moved to Williams and was griping to my grandfather that morning.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have been fortunate to know racers over the years that ran Nascar, SCCA, IMSA, SRO Word Challenge, Trans Am,etc. and I respect them all. There are distinct differences in all the disciplines and most of us gravitate to what we like but there is no doubt to me that running at 200 mph with LA traffic does not take a mother lode of skill and I know the folks I know who have run Pro respect the Nascar drivers immensely. It is a clear reversal when Nascar goes to the Road Course with so many skilled drivers there getting tutelage or seeing " Ringers " ( Scott Pruett, Billy Johnson, Boris Said, Tommy Kendall ,etc. ) come in to run. Ringers are almost gone now as Nascar racers are showing alot of circuit racing skills from sponging up advice from road racers. With Nascar noting how many folks enjoy running tracks like Mid Ohio, RA, COTA, there has been a swing for more and more road course track events, so those that have not watched do check one of those races out --- they can be epic.

I love F1 also and some of my friends comment it is not like the old days, and my answer is thank God. Sure there has been a few cars at the lead of many races of late, but the overall passing is ten fold over a decade back and it will evolve.

I guess my comments are because I think there are many Trackrats, and maybe more so those that have competed W2W , who respect and enjoy many forms of racing and understand it takes immense talent to operate at the top levels, imho.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
If anyone thinks ovals are easy its because they have never tried it. You are at the limit of traction most of the time. No one gives you a corner just because you stuck a nose inside. There are no long straights to take a break. Even when a yellow comes out, you only get a minute or two then its back to a nose to tail, door to door restart. Just try to hit your marks when you can't see them or someone is laying on your door or bumper or you've got your nose under the tail of the car ahead. Sure some people come for the wrecks but the diehards that sit in these stands every Saturday night come for the hard racing.

I'll never forget the Dale crash.........there was no word on what happened or how He was!!!!!!!!!!!...............I learned Dale died the next day on the radio driving to work...It left me with a void in my soul that never healed...........................

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If anyone thinks ovals are easy its because they have never tried it. You are at the limit of traction most of the time. No one gives you a corner just because you stuck a nose inside. There are no long straights to take a break. Even when a yellow comes out, you only get a minute or two then its back to a nose to tail, door to door restart. Just try to hit your marks when you can't see them or someone is laying on your door or bumper or you've got your nose under the tail of the car ahead. Sure some people come for the wrecks but the diehards that sit in these stands every Saturday night come for the hard racing.

No worries!! Never thought for a second that oval racing would be easy. Just not my thing.

Monaca Pa
I'll never forget the Dale crash.........there was no word on what happened or how He was!!!!!!!!!!!...............I learned Dale died the next day on the radio driving to work...It left me with a void in my soul that never healed...........................
I knew when I saw Ken Schrader‘s face after he looked into Dale Earnhardt‘s car that Dale was dead.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Earnhardt "killed hisself". I believe Waltrip said that. He insisted on having his seat and belts installed in a way that Bill Simpson did not approve of. Simpson got a lot of shite chucked at him after that incident, but he and his equipment did not fail, it was the non standard way Earnhardt wanted it installed and the way he used it that failed.
Too much was made of this one incident and the real lesson from it, that being install the equipment correctly and use it properly, got lost in the emotional noise.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
Earnhardt "killed hisself". I believe Waltrip said that. He insisted on having his seat and belts installed in a way that Bill Simpson did not approve of. Simpson got a lot of shite chucked at him after that incident, but he and his equipment did not fail, it was the non standard way Earnhardt wanted it installed and the way he used it that failed.
Too much was made of this one incident and the real lesson from it, that being install the equipment correctly and use it properly, got lost in the emotional noise.
Kenny Wallace.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
The attachment points for the lap belts were 7-1/2" rear of the proper mounting point specified in the instructions shipped with the belts. The France family / NASCAR refused to confirm that fact when it was discovered and the press caught wind a few weeks after the crash, throwing Bill Simpson and his company under the bus, leading to threats on Simpson's life from the more rabid Dale fans. Bill Simpson eventually sued NASCAR for defamation, promising to air decades of safety-related NASCAR laundry in court, but the case was settled before reaching trial. Simpson Racing is now part of the Holley conglomerate (with Earl's, Baer Brakes, Garrett Turbos, Halibrand, Hurst, and about 70 other brands).

The attachment points for the lap belts were 7-1/2" rear of the proper mounting point specified in the instructions shipped with the belts. The France family / NASCAR refused to confirm that fact when it was discovered and the press caught wind a few weeks after the crash, throwing Bill Simpson and his company under the bus, leading to threats on Simpson's life from the more rabid Dale fans. Bill Simpson eventually sued NASCAR for defamation, promising to air decades of safety-related NASCAR laundry in court, but the case was settled before reaching trial. Simpson Racing is now part of the Holley conglomerate (with Earl's, Baer Brakes, Garrett Turbos, Halibrand, Hurst, and about 70 other brands).
Yep, Bill Simpson was an incredible safety innovator, he has saved hundred of racers. I remember when he was promoting his fire suits at Indy. He literally suited up, poured gasoline on himself and lit a match. He stood their for about 30 seconds, on fire, before they put him out. Because those belts were mounted incorrectly, when they were pulled taught by several Gs of impact, the buckle that you use to take up slack, turned sideways and cut the belt in half. This was done on a test rig, and a simulator by Simpson racing. Earnhardt went forward, crashing into and bending the steering wheel, his body then reeled back, and his neck hit one of the seat bolsters that keep your head from moving in side impacts. One of those hits killed him immediately.

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
The story as I heard it, was that Simpson and another race suit maker / seller were going to have a burn off. Each would light themselves on fire to prove their suits. Simpson did it and the other guy left. Supposedly Johnny Rutherford had a hot dog on a stick that he stuck in Bills fire. Although I've never seen a picture of that. But this picture was on Simpsons catalog for years.

simpson fire.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The story as I heard it, was that Simpson and another race suit maker / seller were going to have a burn off. Each would light themselves on fire to prove their suits. Simpson did it and the other guy left. Supposedly Johnny Rutherford had a hot dog on a stick that he stuck in Bills fire. Although I've never seen a picture of that. But this picture was on Simpsons catalog for years.

View attachment 93397

Holy Crap... thats standing by (in?) your product!!!

View attachment 93397
I heard the "Lone Star JR" story as well
@Mad Hatter Bill Simpson was no joke, he was a pretty good driver as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors