The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Has anyone tried 4.10's on a GT350?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
I did several searches as I was expecting at least a thread or two on this but I'm not finding it. It seems that with the 3160's extra long gears and the Voodoo's ability to rev... 4.10's would improve responsiveness and better capitalize on the rev capabilities / top-end power of the engine. I'm not a drag racer, the only track time my car will ever see is on road courses but 80MPH in 2nd gear is so dang tall.

The 3.73's it has were definitely just the thing in the pre-voodoo days for road courses but one can't help but wonder.

I'm thinking the super long gears are smelling a bit like CAFE compliance for emissions and MPG?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
what RPM do you reach Before corners, when shifting? If you almost run out of gear before a turn, that's the sweet spot for most cars. The general idea is to avoid shifting.
Agreed, I've heard each shift is 0.5 sec lost... I was thinking you could take the slow corners 1 gear higher / avoid that shift. I need more track time to ascertain that. Still surprised to see it hasn't been tried or documented.

I have the Ford Performance 4.09, shim kit, and reprogrammer ready to go for when my shop can get to it (hopefully next month).

The gearing is foolishly long with the 3.73s and I think the car will be so much more responsive and fun. Having regeared numerous sportbikes and cars, it always makes such a great difference. Plus, 6th is so tall to begin with that adding a couple of hundred rpm at freeway speeds will not be a problem at all.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
I have the Ford Performance 4.09, shim kit, and reprogrammer ready to go for when my shop can get to it (hopefully next month).

The gearing is foolishly long with the 3.73s and I think the car will be so much more responsive and fun. Having regeared numerous sportbikes and cars, it always makes such a great difference. Plus, 6th is so tall to begin with that adding a couple of hundred rpm at freeway speeds will not be a problem at all.
That's what I'm thinking. I think it would wake it up even more than it already is. Also, 6th gear is pretty much unusable around town below 50 mph. A higher final gear might actually increase the mpg around town from just being able to use 6th more freely. Lol.

Can't wait to hear your impressions once it's in.

My car doesn't feel happy in 6th until 90+.

I will keep you guys apprised of my thoughts - I am scheduled to drive the car from Texas to California and back in June.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel