The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hawk High Performance Street Race Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been looking at brake pad options and was set on the Pagid line from the reviews here. I purchased a set of the RS-56 pads for the rear and was considering the 29's for the front. I did see some new Hawk pads on Tire Rack that were designed for street cars that do track days and the price is half the cost of the 29's. Anybody have any experience with Hawk #HB453R.585?

There are no brake pads that do both well. For me I wouldn't risk it. Street pads get destroyed on the track and track pads are dirty and noisy on the street. I would get a set for the road and a set for the track. Make sure you use pads that are compatible, i.e. from the same company. That way you can use the same rotors if cost is an issue. Pads aren't cheap, I just picked up front and rears XP24s and paid $540 with tax.

I plan to use the new pads and rotors on the street since I don't drive the car every day. So I do need a pad that can work on the street but I don't mind a bit of noise. I am going to remove the stock pads and rotors with only 8K miles.....I can always put them back if I sell the car.

If you don't care about noise try the HP+, they last a long time and do dust a lot. Just keep your wheels clean and you should be good.

I run XP24's up front, and run it on the street year round as well (weekend car). I don't change to street pads mainly because I'm lazy and don't have a garage.

The 24's dust pretty good at the track, which is expected, but couldn't tell you how much on the street, since I don't clean my wheels as often as I should, again, because I'm lazy ::)

In my experience, the XP24's squeal more on a warm day than at cold, freezing temperatures. Since you won't drive the car as much on the street, you may get away with running track pads year-round.

If you run track pads on the street give yourself a little more room to stop. The track pads need to heat up to work really well. The XP24 has a temperature range of 400 degrees F to 2000 degrees F. Street pads temperature range starts at ambient air temperature and goes up to about 800 degrees F.

The temp range is a good point. I will likely do a couple of hill climbs and the brakes never get a chance to warm up. So as much as I want a pad to last at Watkins Glen, it still needs to work around town and when cold. I know I have to compromise. But some of these pads are marketed for street cars that do track days and that seems like the type of pad that would work best for me. I was just wondering if anyone used that specific Hawk pad. I wasn't sure if it was a brand new product but the description sure seems ideal.

TMO Supporting Vendors