The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Help! Buying a 2013 SBY LS Boss for my dad and need help finding one!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg,
I have a friend in Houston with a SBY Laguna that he's thinking about selling. Do you mind posting on sending me your email and I'll pass it along to him. His name is Tim Turner.
My direct is [email protected]
Thanks, Jimmy

Real 1, thanks for the perspective! I'd love to confidentially know what you paid if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me.

Yes, whatever car I get will be in the family long term so I want to make sure to get the right one. I'm starting to feel the pinch as I only have the weekend of Nov 14th, 28th and Dec 12th to pull this off, roadtrip style. If it doesn't happen he won't have a clue but I'll be dissapointed beyond belief. But hey, if it's meant to be....it'll happen. If not there's always another day at another time.

Bills car is great and we haven't really settled on a price. Only challenge w his car would be a few minor rock chips that would need to be dealt with prior to handing it over to dad. I'm not sure that's even possible at this point.

Jimmy, you have an email!

Thank you to all!!
Greg

Bay Area
Willi44225 said:
Real 1, thanks for the perspective! I'd love to confidentially know what you paid if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me.

Yes, whatever car I get will be in the family long term so I want to make sure to get the right one. I'm starting to feel the pinch as I only have the weekend of Nov 14th, 28th and Dec 12th to pull this off, roadtrip style. If it doesn't happen he won't have a clue but I'll be dissapointed beyond belief. But hey, if it's meant to be....it'll happen. If not there's always another day at another time.

Bills car is great and we haven't really settled on a price. Only challenge w his car would be a few minor rock chips that would need to be dealt with prior to handing it over to dad. I'm not sure that's even possible at this point.

PULL THE TRIGGR, IF YOU DONT YOU MIGHT REGRET IT AND NOT GET THE CHANCE TO DO IT AGAIN. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. (FWIW, I bought mine on a whim. I was told the same thing. and now I have 32xxx smiles (miles) on my Boss.) My only regret was I didn't wait for the LS. Best of LUCK!!

Jimmy, you have an email!

Thank you to all!!
Greg

Found the Boss. Thanks to Bill and all those that helped. I ultimately wanted a one owner car and found it in perfect shape.

Jimmy, you're my hero! Thanks for the lead. I paid more than I wanted to but will be picking up a 5k mile example in impeccable shape with nice upgrades and all the take offs/documentation a guy could ever want. I fly down on the 12th to see her and drive back home for a 7+ hour journey.

My sister is actually flying down with me for the experience.

Stupid excited.....

Now, does anyone want a pretty nice original Camaro for grins and kicks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141840841521?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad you found one , and I didn't pressure you any as I am still somewhat struggling with whether I want to sell mine? Since I wanted the car to stay close to stock the mods done on mine were all minor , but none were inexpensive ( full MGW shift kit, Corsa Axleback, MM Camber Plates, Brembo two piece rotors ), so I was fighting whether it was smart to sell? Who knows the new GT350 is starting to call my name so may actually try to sell in the Spring, but glad you got one for your dad -- he will love it. You need to both come up to the Mustang Roundup in September , 2016. Close drive from Oklahoma and a great track experience.

Alright! Congrats on the purchase. ..looking forward to seeing a pic of the three of you...Dad, you and your SBY LS posted on Xmas day. Way to go to give your Dad a gift of a lifetime and help him realize a dream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Willi44225 said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141840841521?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Congrats on finding the Boss you wanted. I hope my kids buy me a GT350R someday!

That is a nice Z/28, 1970 1/2-1973 are my favorite era of Camaro, although by '73 they were pretty gutless compared to earlier editions. I did like the earlier horseshoe shifter on the automatic, too.

Sadly, the market in muscle cars has levelled, and unless a car is really rare, or really pristine, you don't get the price you thought you might get ten years ago when the market was skyrocketing. Older owners are selling, and younger owners don't care for older cars, especially when (hard to believe) a new Honda Civic can beat a very large chunk of the older era "muscle cars" 0-60 and 1/4 mile, while getting 30 MPG. The '73 Z/28 was listed at 7.2 seconds 0-60 and a 15.3 second 1/4 mile and that was a 4-speed. A 2014 Honda Civic Si is 6.7/15.1. I know you and I would take the Z/28, but my 24 year old son wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Time marches on and tastes change.

Bay Area
Willi44225 said:
Found the Boss. Thanks to Bill and all those that helped. I ultimately wanted a one owner car and found it in perfect shape.

Jimmy, you're my hero! Thanks for the lead. I paid more than I wanted to but will be picking up a 5k mile example in impeccable shape with nice upgrades and all the take offs/documentation a guy could ever want. I fly down on the 12th to see her and drive back home for a 7+ hour journey.

My sister is actually flying down with me for the experience.

Stupid excited.....

IS there a BMO discount on her? Very nice car IMO

Bill, you're car was great and I figured we could get together on price. The clear bra, though great, concerned me upon removal. I just had a buddy sell his 09 Scuderia with a clear bra and upon removal (original paint car) the paint started lifting off the front bumper and had to be redone. I was concerned we might run into the same problem. There is no time for snags or repairs.

Byronj, yes...if you are someone else from the forum wants to buy the Camaro, i'll make them a special deal. I'd sell this car to my best friend and it runs extremely strong for a 1973 with the shift kit, torque converter, carb/intake and headers installed before it left the showroom floor in 1973. It's a strong runner.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Willi44225 said:
Byronj, yes...if you are someone else from the forum wants to buy the Camaro, i'll make them a special deal. I'd sell this car to my best friend and it runs extremely strong for a 1973 with the shift kit, torque converter, carb/intake and headers installed before it left the showroom floor in 1973. It's a strong runner.

CA does not require a 1973 car to be smogged IF the vehicle is currently registered in CA.

Based on your info, the Camaro cannot be brought into the state and registered in CA.

Bay Area
four-walling said:
CA does not require a 1973 car to be smogged IF the vehicle is currently registered in CA.

Based on your info, the Camaro cannot be brought into the state and registered in CA.

I don't know where you got your information but I have to disagree with you. I just registered a 73 Mach 1 from out of state. No questions asked, besides the standard CHP inspection.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
byronj said:
I don't know where you got your information but I have to disagree with you. I just registered a 73 Mach 1 from out of state. No questions asked, besides the standard CHP inspection.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

I was referring to this particular Camaro...perhaps "smog inspection" instead of "smog test" is what I should have said.

Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions will sometimes list vehicles as "not for sale to California residents".

Perhaps these vehicles won't pass physical inspection?

I have a 2011 Ford expedition that is not California Complaint. But I am pretty sure it depends on the year, and whether or not the car was complaint at the time of manufacture.

Bay Area
four-walling said:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

I was referring to this particular Camaro...perhaps "smog inspection" instead of "smog test" is what I should have said.

Mecum and Barrett-Jackson auctions will sometimes list vehicles as "not for sale to California residents".

Perhaps these vehicles won't pass physical inspection?

Oh that makes perfect sense. Never thought of it that way. Good to be aware of. Thanks for the info.

Bringing a car into Cali is a challenge, but the challenge is based on having and understanding the right information. There are 13 states that buy/sell cars legal for sale in the state of California. I bought my 2013 LS from Oregon (one of the 13 states) and my car has a "CA Legal" emission sticker under the hood. If you buy a car out of state you need:

•A smog certification from a California smog station is required for the following vehicles: ◦Gasoline powered-1976 and newer year models (motorcycles are exempt).
◦Diesel powered-1998 and newer year models that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) under 14,001 pounds (diesel hybrids included).
◦Natural gas or propane powered that have a GVWR under 14,001 pounds.

Even a new car built as CA legal still needs to be smogged (stupid, I know, but I had to do it).

There are some exceptions:

-California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

So if is not a "CA" specked car from one of the 13 states that buy CA cars, no dice unless:

-Exemptions

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:
•Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
•Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
•Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
•An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
•Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
•A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Congrats on the Boss. Kudos to you for what you are doing for your dad!!!!

GLWS on the Z28 too.

Well, it's been an epic day so far! LS #134 just crossed the Texas to Oklahoma border. My sister is driving....She's so meek and mild but the Boss has woken her inner demon and I'm loving it! Just told her that if we end up in jail it will make the trip that more memorable....

B33CA429-0140-404D-9F05-25637482D60C_zpsnphxlxsq.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors