The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Honey Badger GT350 Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
HB had a successful shakedown this weekend at COTA. No mechanical issues. I did lose the diffuser, tho. I don't think I trimmed the edges near the tires ernough and a tire caught it under load and ripped it off. Booo

Here's some footage from this weekend (after we ripped the diffuser off, so missing that piece). Haven't touched coilovers, caster, or setup the shift strategy (i'm manually blipping and lifting throttle during shifts). car is going to be an absolute animal once we get it dialed and I'm comfortable in it

but boy does it make all the right noises

Also for those want to know - the finally tally is 9 stalls (8 in the pits, 1 on track) and 3 spins #racecar

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Melbourne Australia
HB had a successful shakedown this weekend at COTA. No mechanical issues. I did lose the diffuser, tho. I don't think I trimmed the edges near the tires ernough and a tire caught it under load and ripped it off. Booo

Here's some footage from this weekend (after we ripped the diffuser off, so missing that piece). Haven't touched coilovers, caster, or setup the shift strategy (i'm manually blipping and lifting throttle during shifts). car is going to be an absolute animal once we get it dialed and I'm comfortable in it

Also for those want to know - the finally tally is 9 stalls (8 in the pits, 1 on track) and 3 spins #racecar
Did your Australian tuner do the data overlay as well 🤣.
That sounds friggin amazing. Congratulations on the beast. Looking forward to seeing more videos of this once you get everything finalized. That's one amazing package.

In the V6L

Sounds good, looks good, it's got it all. Maybe have a look at oil pressure - looks like it's topping out at around 75 PSI (5.2 bar) at 7K+ RPM. Maybe check to make sure the sensor's calibrated correctly.

TX
That sounds friggin amazing. Congratulations on the beast. Looking forward to seeing more videos of this once you get everything finalized. That's one amazing package.

Ha. nope - that's just my dumbass mounting the cameras upside. With the video, I had to choose between upside camera or upside down overlay 🤣
Sounds good, looks good, it's got it all. Maybe have a look at oil pressure - looks like it's topping out at around 75 PSI (5.2 bar) at 7K+ RPM. Maybe check to make sure the sensor's calibrated correctly.

Keen eye (especially since its upside down). That caught me off guard today when checking my data logs. On the dyno were at 95 psi on the low end under load upwards 105 or so on warm oil. But the dyno only pushed oil temps to 173. This weekend I got to a BLISTER 206, so clearly there's a big change in viscosity under those conditions. Need to add a couple turns to the regular me thinks. But going to reach out to Bill Dailey first and see what he says. 75psi isn't ideal.

TX
Ha. nope - that's just my dumbass mounting the cameras upside. With the video, I had to choose between upside camera or upside down overlay 🤣

Keen eye (especially since its upside down). That caught me off guard today when checking my data logs. On the dyno were at 95 psi on the low end under load upwards 105 or so on warm oil. But the dyno only pushed oil temps to 173. This weekend I got to a BLISTER 206, so clearly there's a big change in viscosity under those conditions. Need to add a couple turns to the regular me thinks. But going to reach out to Bill Dailey first and see what he says. 75psi isn't ideal.

So interesting update - Bill said that's what they run and you don't use the OEM oil pressure as a reference because the systems are too different. He said they ship with the bypass at 80 psi and it dropping to 75 post cooler and filter is pretty standard. He was happy with the number and said to reach out to my builder (Tim at MPR Racing) in case he had specific numbers. Tim just reiterated what Bill said - on a dry sump motor, 75 psi at full tilt is perfect. So that's a new one for me!

TX
Proper sound! See you in a couple of weeks!

Hell ya!

Ha. The aussies must be rubbing off on me 🤣

In the V6L
So interesting update - Bill said that's what they run and you don't use the OEM oil pressure as a reference because the systems are too different. He said they ship with the bypass at 80 psi and it dropping to 75 post cooler and filter is pretty standard. He was happy with the number and said to reach out to my builder (Tim at MPR Racing) in case he had specific numbers. Tim just reiterated what Bill said - on a dry sump motor, 75 psi at full tilt is perfect. So that's a new one for me!
And, 206 degrees F at full tilt is might be perfect but it sounds a little low. Did Bill say anything about that? Is that because you're measuring the temperature where the oil goes into the engine rather than after it comes out and collects in the sump on a regular engine?

TX
And, 206 degrees F at full tilt is might be perfect but it sounds a little low. Did Bill say anything about that? Is that because you're measuring the temperature where the oil goes into the engine rather than after it comes out and collects in the sump on a regular engine?
correct. I have two probes one on the block right before it goes back into the engine and one in the oil tank (which is seeing the oil after it comes back out the motor and pools with the rest. The 206 oil temps were at the block - so after the cooler (the oil filter block also has a thermostat on it that opens at 215F). My guess is it'll run 225-230 at full tilt once the system heat soaks. I never ran a single lap full out and none even close back to back.

OIl tank temps were a bit higher - 221 or so if I recall. Unfortunately, I hadn't set up the AIM to data log that. Got some work to do refine that part.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wyoming
Good information to know. My expectations are more calibrated now, the fewer surprises with all these changes the better.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
The Central Valley of California
😄 😄 😄

it's not as bad as it looks - just time consuming. I'm hoping to do some CF ones in the future once I learn how to make moulds
I will buy your old ones if that happens please!!! Hahaha

TX
Here's sneak peak of how wild this car is going to be.

After running on a sleep debt of 35-40% for two weeks and then spending two days splitting instructing duty and managing the shakedown of a new car, I was completely wiped and probably shouldn't have tried to drive this thing. requires far too much concentration. But it was epic for about 30 seconds before I reacted too slow and got a wake up call. My apex speed at T2 was 5mph faster than my previous fastest and I still wasn't pushing it through there. IT's going to be a monster!

TX
HB mk III shakedown report

Okay - now that I've had some time to catch up on sleep (and work if I'm honest), I wanted to share some initial thoughts. I didn't record any video or or anything besides what I've already posted (the car's camera system only worked 1 out of the 4 session because I forgot to load the tracks and it wasn't triggering).

So random thoughts - in no particular order

1. Somehow, extremely fortunately, mechanically the car was basically flawless. The engine ran great - only issue was it struggled with restarts when I stalled the car after a spin on track (had to turn over for 10 seconds or so).
  2. This engine is super smooth. I expected it to feel a bit rowdier than the Voodoo due to the extra torque and nature of the CPC, but it's very smooth. A surprise was how the sequential changed the "pull" you feel under WOT. Because it only drops 700 rpm between shifts and you're always in max power, you don't get the same "ramp up" of power that you got with the voodoo. you don't feel it building. It's just there all the time. It almost feels slower - but a look at the speedo or the data and you know its not.
  3. Having a transmission built for racing use is wild. This car runs better/smoother the harder you push it. Shifting on an outlap at part throttle? clunks and bucks. Shifting at 8k mid corner? buttery smooth.
  4. Sequential gear is the greatest race car sound to exist. and you can't convince me otherwise.
  5. Bosch M5 Motorsport ABS is cheating. All I've done so far is input the car specs (tire size, weight, drive axles, etc.) and set the dial to 6 (out of 12). And during my first laps I wanted to see how the ABS would handle braking all the way to apex of T11 (which mustangs understeer like a pig at). I stayed in the brake pedal and the ABS was just like "okie dokie." This is going to be a game changer. Brake zones are going to get much smaller
  6. Car *might* be too loud. It was pretty overwhelming in the car. I was pretty tired, so it could just be that. I'm playing it by ear - but I might be throwing some slightly bigger mufflers on in the future.
  7. Off the trailer, this car ran a 229 with me blowing brake zones and coasting into many sectors. It's going to be a rocket ship
To-do items based the shakedown:
  1. Fix the diffuser. Got my CF and epoxy on Friday, so ready to start the repair. It won't be pretty, but it should be functional
  2. Raise the driver seat - I couldn't see the kerbing in many sections of the track due to being too short for how low the seat is mounted. I knew I was going off track by feeling the vibrations from the kerbing. It made for some fun track limits infringements. ha.
  3. Perform a proper track alignment and corner balance - I didn't have a chance to do anything before the shakedown and it made the car handle pretty weird. I put the car on scales once I got back and it was impressively unbalanced. this should help a lot
  4. Get the radio and intercom system installed. Ran out of time to do this
  5. Get the dry break fuel fill system installed - right now I just have a cap to remove on top of the fuel cell hat and it's super prone to spilling. I ordered a dry break fuel fill from radium + some of their cans that should make this safer and easier
Some random pics with commentary below

Diffuser got dragged for a good bit. Going to have to replace a few layers ha
IMG_2913.JPEG

As for what happened, I think I didn't trim enough around the tires and under load, the tires caught the diffusor and ripped it off. Both rear tires have chunks removed - booooo
IMG_2939.JPEG

Here's how bad the corner balance is. Impressively bad crossweights ha
IMG_2940.JPEG

Love how this car looks right now
IMG_2927.JPEGIMG_2928.JPEG
CHIN Track Days June 2024 (2 of 5).jpgCHIN Track Days June 2024 (1 of 5).jpg
CHIN Track Days June 2024 (5 of 5).jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel