The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How much brake pad wear do you use before changing pads, track day Mustang.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know different people will have different opinions. My question is at what point should you change front pads on a track day (3600-3800 lb.) Mustang running 20 minute sessions on 295/35-19 Michelin PS4's. In my case I run Hawk DTC 60 pads on 6 piston Brembos with GT 500 15" rotors. The pads have wear slots where theoretically you're supposed to change pads when they wear to point where slot is gone. That seems too much for me as a thin pad will transfer too much heat into caliper and fluid. I'd like to get a feel for what you guys think is a safe amount of wear before you would change the pads. I still have about half the slot showing on my pads.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It also depends on what pad you are running. I would run Pagid pads down to last 2mm and they would be great. Gloc pads would need a change a bit sooner at around 3mm . Hawks tend to go really fast so you would have to change them much sooner. Its pretty much based on price, the Hawks are the cheapest but they last the least.

Pad options are fairly limited on SN95 cobras, but I have run ST47s down until there was nothing left. They gave a lot of indication that was too much.

I've gone down to 1mm plenty of times, I change fluids before each weekend though so it haven't had any issues with boiling.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel