The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to install a racing steering wheel

Got another step closer to Arizona today. Swapped out my bus driver steering wheel for a real racer's wheel.

1)Disconnect battery to power down airbags
041_zps54281c8e.jpg
2) Remove plugs from side of wheel.
040_zps0e23d344.jpg
3) Pull out airbag and remove connectors like so
042_zpsf943f00f.jpg
4) Remove center bolt and pull off wheel , remove connectors.
043_zps73ceeb28.jpg
5) Remove lower dash trim by removing 2 screws and pulling down from top. Remove 3 T15 Torx screws to remove steering column cover. You will then have to remove clockspring harness and 2 T15 Torx screws, pull clockspring straight off of shat. Do not rotate clockspring and use tape wrapped around to keep it from rotating in storage.
6) Bolt Sparco adapter on to shaft using stock bolt, torque to 45 ft/lbs. I used the quick disconnect, so I then screwed this on with the supplied 3mm hex socket screws. Note red mark indicating 12 o'clock position so splines align the wheel correctly.
044_zps92be9e04.jpg

7) Attach steering wheel to quick connect hub using supplied 3mm hex screws. Put wheel on and get ready to race.


This mod like the ABS module completly disables Advance Track, also the Airbag warning light is on and I haven't figured out how to fool this sensor yet so I'll have to live with it or get some black vinyl to make a mask on the lens. Maybe can make a template and Pete can cut them for us.

Steve
 
steveespo said:
Got another step closer to Arizona today. Swapped out my bus driver steering wheel for a real racer's wheel.

1)Disconnect battery to power down airbags
041_zps54281c8e.jpg
2) Remove plugs from side of wheel.
040_zps0e23d344.jpg
3) Pull out airbag and remove connectors like so
042_zpsf943f00f.jpg
4) Remove center bolt and pull off wheel , remove connectors.
043_zps73ceeb28.jpg
5) Remove lower dash trim by removing 2 screws and pulling down from top. Remove 3 T15 Torx screws to remove steering column cover. You will then have to remove clockspring harness and 2 T15 Torx screws, pull clockspring straight off of shat. Do not rotate clockspring and use tape wrapped around to keep it from rotating in storage.
6) Bolt Sparco adapter on to shaft using stock bolt, torque to 45 ft/lbs. I used the quick disconnect, so I then screwed this on with the supplied 3mm hex socket screws. Note red mark indicating 12 o'clock position so splines align the wheel correctly.
044_zps92be9e04.jpg

7) Attach steering wheel to quick connect hub using supplied 3mm hex screws. Put wheel on and get ready to race.


This mod like the ABS module completly disables Advance Track, also the Airbag warning light is on and I haven't figured out how to fool this sensor yet so I'll have to live with it or get some black vinyl to make a mask on the lens. Maybe can make a template and Pete can cut them for us.

Steve

Steve,

You'll probably need to solder a resistor into the airbag harness connector to extinguish the light.

I used to have a Porsche 993 in which I installed a non-airbag euro 993 RS steering wheel...the RS wheel came with a resistor (can't remember the exact resistance...guessing around 3 or 4 ohm) with about 1.5" of wire soldered to each end...I had a shop solder it into the airbag harness connector plug (in the 993 it's under the dash and a bastard to get to). This took care of the light.

Hope this helps...
 
dabossinne said:
Steve,

You'll probably need to solder a resistor into the airbag harness connector to extinguish the light.

I used to have a Porsche 993 in which I installed a non-airbag euro 993 RS steering wheel...the RS wheel came with a resistor (can't remember the exact resistance...guessing around 3 or 4 ohm) with about 1.5" of wire soldered to each end...I had a shop solder it into the airbag harness connector plug (in the 993 it's under the dash and a bastard to get to). This took care of the light.

Hope this helps...

I am in the process of switching the wheel and removing both Driver and Passenger Air bags.

Spec range for Driver side is 2.0-3.68 ohm, Passenger 1.7-2.78 ohm. Haven't tested yet -- next weekend.....
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,754
1,229
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Black Boss said:
I am in the process of switching the wheel and removing both Driver and Passenger Air bags.

Spec range for Driver side is 2.0-3.68 ohm, Passenger 1.7-2.78 ohm. Haven't tested yet -- next weekend.....
Let us know how you do it. Also I plan on installing a horn button somewhere, if you have any ideas post them up.
Steve
 

BOSS343

Theory of 1
steveespo said:
Got another step closer to Arizona today. Swapped out my bus driver steering wheel for a real racer's wheel.

1)Disconnect battery to power down airbags
041_zps54281c8e.jpg
2) Remove plugs from side of wheel.
040_zps0e23d344.jpg
3) Pull out airbag and remove connectors like so
042_zpsf943f00f.jpg
4) Remove center bolt and pull off wheel , remove connectors.
043_zps73ceeb28.jpg
5) Remove lower dash trim by removing 2 screws and pulling down from top. Remove 3 T15 Torx screws to remove steering column cover. You will then have to remove clockspring harness and 2 T15 Torx screws, pull clockspring straight off of shat. Do not rotate clockspring and use tape wrapped around to keep it from rotating in storage.
6) Bolt Sparco adapter on to shaft using stock bolt, torque to 45 ft/lbs. I used the quick disconnect, so I then screwed this on with the supplied 3mm hex socket screws. Note red mark indicating 12 o'clock position so splines align the wheel correctly.
044_zps92be9e04.jpg

7) Attach steering wheel to quick connect hub using supplied 3mm hex screws. Put wheel on and get ready to race.


This mod like the ABS module completly disables Advance Track, also the Airbag warning light is on and I haven't figured out how to fool this sensor yet so I'll have to live with it or get some black vinyl to make a mask on the lens. Maybe can make a template and Pete can cut them for us.

Steve

+1 for the pants.
 
steveespo said:
Got another step closer to Arizona today. Swapped out my bus driver steering wheel for a real racer's wheel.
7) Attach steering wheel to quick connect hub using supplied 3mm hex screws. Put wheel on and get ready to race.

Steve

Like your pants!
Nice :)
 
steveespo said:
Let us know how you do it. Also I plan on installing a horn button somewhere, if you have any ideas post them up.
Steve

Completed the Sparco Ford Racing Steering Wheel install today, with Horn Buttons and disabled Air Bag warning light:

IMG_0872Medium_zpsc646bd6d.JPG

Used the Sparco Horn Buttons:

IMG_0864Medium_zpsc99c6e19.JPG

Wired the switches in parallel so either will activate the horn:


d2db4e06-868c-4dfa-b198-5731441a1a7a_zps63571f26.JPG
Installed mount to wheel and zip tied coiled cable to quick release ring:

IMG_0874Medium_zps54f96993 (3).JPG

Removed Stock steering wheel and clock spring (see Steve's post from last week).

Confirmed that 3 ohm resistors are needed to fix Air Bag light. You need 2. 1 each between pins #1 and #9 and pins #2 and #10:

IMG_0866Medium_zpsd50d40f5.JPG

Horn Connections are pins #5 and #8.

Used a jack plug and socket to join coiled cable to pins #5 and #8:

IMG_0869Medium_zps58f53dcc.JPG

Zip tied socket under Dash panel and ran coiled cable over turn signal and into housing:

IMG_0871Medium_zpsd40b93df.JPG

Jack Plug allows Wheel to be completely removed:

IMG_0873Medium_zps98d3f78c.JPG
 
Last edited:
Awesome job guys!

Black Boss, could you post that in another thread, just so the info doesn't get lost and people can search it later with keywords.
 
steveespo said:
Black Boss
Thanks for the write up and for identifying the pin outs and resistor sizes for the horn and airbags.
I have the Sparco switches but I think I'm going to do a dash mounted horn button ala Shelby on the first GT 350s. I also dig your gauge setups, I moved my Traqmate to the column and just ordered Autometer Elite gauges fo fuel level, voltmeter and oil temp for the transmission, will mount them in the LS pod. Any chance you know what wire the fuel sender is under the dash, Auto Meter has per calibrated settings for modern and vintage GM, Ford and Chrysler units so it's basically plug and play.
Steve


Steve,
Sorry, don't know. I'm using Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Diff Temp and Volt gauges from Autometer. Plan on upgrading from Harry's to AIM MXL2 when available (probably a Winter Mods IV project) and may add Fuel level then........
 
Moved from the other thread:

"Black Boss
Thanks for the write up and for identifying the pin outs and resistor sizes for the horn and airbags.
I have the Sparco switches but I think I'm going to do a dash mounted horn button ala Shelby on the first GT 350s. I also dig your gauge setups, I moved my Traqmate to the column and just ordered Autometer Elite gauges fo fuel level, voltmeter and oil temp for the transmission, will mount them in the LS pod. Any chance you know what wire the fuel sender is under the dash, Auto Meter has per calibrated settings for modern and vintage GM, Ford and Chrysler units so it's basically plug and play.
Steve"
 
I am about to order the Sparco steering wheel. Are there any other parts I will need to complete this install?

I am considering going without the horn as I never use mine. Curious why you guys are keeping that. Is it required to be street legal?

Steve - I am considering moving my TrackMate onto the steering column like you did. Is that working well?
 

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
2,009
438
Southeast
Black Boss:

I too noticed your gauge package, very nice. Can you start a gauge thread to show us more information? Make and model, (style) of gauges you selected, Function, and Connecting Points?

Thanks,
Dave
 
302 Hi Pro said:
Black Boss:

I too noticed your gauge package, very nice. Can you start a gauge thread to show us more information? Make and model, (style) of gauges you selected, Function, and Connecting Points?

Thanks,
Dave

I used Auto Meter Elite gauges for Engine Oil Pressure and Temperature, Coolant Temp, Diff Fluid temp and Battery voltage. Installed the Oil pressure and temp senders in a oil filter sandwich plate. Voltage can be picked up from any positive feed. Will try to pull together notes on the rest of the install....
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,754
1,229
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Traqmate on the column is perfect, I can glance to see if lap is going well or not so well and the shift lites are perfect in that position. With all 7 of my Auto Meter gauges the only thing I have to do is look behind the TM to see the gas gauge! At the track I now fill the car at the pumps and add 5 gallons out of my dump jugs after each 20-30 minute session, always have plenty of fuel.
Steve
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top