The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hows your clutch doin ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Would like some opinions on this clutch i am looking at. My horsepower is over 600 at the tires. What are you high hp BOSS owners going with ? I may need a little schooling. I also want to pair it with a billet steel flywheel. I know the McLeod RST is popular but is it betterer ?

SPEC 5.0L MUSTANG SS-TRIM SUPER TWIN DISC CLUTCH KIT (SF50ST-2)

Thanks for all the replies <snicker> Anyway I went for several rides in cars with the RXT RST and the SPEC SS Twin. I'm going with the SPEC, it had 0 chatter and felt the best for my driving style.

I just swapped my RXT for the McLeod mag force. This mag force is a thing of beauty. Like 1/3 the mass of the RXT and twice the grip. I won't say why I swapped out my RXT. It's a good clutch, but I needed something that goes to "11" (1 better).

IMG_5174GR.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
LP Heaven said:
Thanks for all the replies <snicker> Anyway I went for several rides in cars with the RXT RST and the SPEC SS Twin. I'm going with the SPEC, it had 0 chatter and felt the best for my driving style.

I would have chimed in.....but I have stock HP and the original clutch.

I am curious how much chatter you experienced with the RXT and RST? Only when the clutch we depressed or while engaged?

The Spec has been slammed by a few guys on this site but spoke of well on other sites. Go figure.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
DG#56 said:
I just swapped my RXT for the McLeod mag force. This mag force is a thing of beauty. Like 1/3 the mass of the RXT and twice the grip. I won't say why I swapped out my RXT. It's a good clutch, but needed something that goes to "11" (1 better).

IMG_5174GR.jpg

Darren

Would you recommend the Mag Force clutch for the street??

TMSBOSS said:
Darren

Would you recommend the Mag Force clutch for the street??

No. 1) Cost prohibitive and 2) It has very bad finicky low speed manners from what I've been told. So its strictly a high HP, high RPM type of engagement.

I haven't used this new clutch yet, but I will give a report after.

One cool thing about it, is there is an optional external pedal adjuster kit so if you don't like the pedal height (engagement point) you can alter it.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
DG#56 said:
No. 1) Cost prohibitive and 2) It has very bad finicky low speed manners from what I've been told. So its strictly a high HP, high RPM type of engagement.

I haven't used this new clutch yet, but I will give a report after.

One cool thing about it, is there is an optional external pedal adjuster kit so if you don't like the pedal height (engagement point) you can alter it.

Got it.

Thanks!!

I'm running the RST and like it alot, great grip and good street manners. Only time I get chatter is when I lug it and that's my fault, not the clutches

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Boss 738 said:
I'm running the RST and like it alot, great grip and good street manners. Only time I get chatter is when I lug it and that's my fault, not the clutches

Cool. Thanks for the feedback!!

I have been planning on installing the RST. The Spec has always been my second choice.

$300.00 difference is also a big factor.

I don't think I will lug it too much. I still have the skip shift connected and have Never had it engage.

I do like RPMs.

Thanks again Boss 738.

No problem, my factory clutch and rpms did not get along very well. With this new setup rev to the moon. You can't go wrong with these clutches and pedal feel as soft as stock if not a tab softer

Boss 738 said:

I did like the RST better but out of the 4 cars of my friends i liked the spec the most for my driving style. I'm lucky enough to have had the chance but my friends are just as excited to see the spec in my boss. 3 shelbys from 2008 to 2013 and a gt/cs all VERY high horsepower supercharged cars. My friends with the gt/cs had the ss spec clutch and it was a really nice feeling clutch. I will be installing a flywheel ( comes with the kit ) as well and have very experienced friends to help me break in the new clutch correctly. I chose the spec because
Its not too much clutch
adjustable and re-buildable by my mechanic
match with my driving style

The RXT was simply just way to grabby for me and had some chatter but that could be a number of things. I've done alot of homework and i'm sold on the spec for my horsepower/torque range and driving style - only time and badassery will tell :)

TMSBOSS said:
What's anyone else experienced Chatter with the RST?

Exactly when? How bad?
My RXT has come chatter and is grabby. The grabby part got a lot better after a couple of thousand miles. It has some chatter if I'm not careful engaging the clutch and also makes a bit of noise when warm at idle. If you push the clutch in it goes away. If I was going to do it again I'd get a RST in hopes that it's not as grabby. But it was worth it as all my clutch/tranny problems are in my rear view mirror.

I'm really happy with the RST and McLeod steel flywheel.
Like everyone mentioned, it does make some noise if you bog it down. The clutch is not grabby at all and it's easy to slip to have a smooth take off while on the street. The only thing I recommend doing is removing the clutch pedal spring, because the engagement point was right where the spring rotates and it was really hard to manipulate the clutch engagement. Also, once the spring was removed, pedal effort was back to stock feel.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
What's the bad word on SPEC? I've been looking at the RST and the SPEC 2+.
I'm pushing about 430 at the wheels and pretty much have her where I want her except for a few other suspension mods.

Hi all.Been away for a while.I've had 4 clutches and 3 trannys.This last warrantee trans was fresh ftom Ford, and after 5k, is perfect.Along with many related mods.Now all better than good.Had 2 factory Boss clutches, a ACT assembly and, finally the RST.A superb clutch.Yes it rattles when lugged, but it's everything you'd want in a perfect clutch.If its not a twin disk, it won't work well.Period.

GB218

TMO Addict
Boss742,

If you don't mind me asking, could you please elaborate on the "4 clutches and 3 trannys".

Should we all be looking for any special symptoms prior to a failure?

Thanks!

Well, I bought the car on a Ford lot with about 10 k on it,and bought additional warrantee-9 years total. after a while the typical stuff occured-pedal stuck to floor,2nd gear blues.So trans # 2 and boss clutch #2 installed.This second trans was shi%$#!t. and out it came.They did a few things to band-aid it,so while it was out I had them put in a ACT FM HD SS 13 billet flywheel and clutch.They buggered the install by omitting the shaft spacer.Out came the trans again,and reinstalled,and off i went.I didn't go far before it almost grenaded itself by popping out of 2nd gear! Here we go again!So at this point I've lost religion(thinking about a car refund or selling)This time, I made sure-no more old stock trannies-get me a fresh trans direct from Michigan! After that last trans ,all was good ,EXCEPT-still at high RPM's-the pedal to floor again.I did all the mods-clutch line,spring removal,MGW shifter,even a 1 piece aluminum D.S.Plus other stuff.So there you go,all those mods may not work afterall,it's the single disk clutch that is the culprit.So on advice from moderator ,Mr.Blue Boss-RICK,in went a Mcleod RST clutch assembly.Now with this trans( I think this trans may have Ford upgrades)I can shift at ridiculous RPM's-once at 7500 to make sure.Down shifting is awsome.Even a long road trip at 100 F!I did change to RED LINE fluid.The shifts are perfect,all good now,but the car was at the dealership for over 3 months!It's all behind me now,and love the car.

GB218

TMO Addict
Boss742,

Thanks for replying. Sorry to make you relive the misery. Glad it all worked out in the end.

I started to notice the dreaded 2nd to 3rd gear lockout at the end of last year. I'm not sure if it had to do with the cooler weather or if it's a sign of things to come. I have about 4,000 miles on the trans & clutch. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Your story definitely doesn't add to my faith in dealerships. I cringe at the thought of bringing it in for anything (but that's another thread).

TMO Supporting Vendors